Car survival

Hotzn

Cars have been known as a subtle refuge from wild animals, especially bears which were previously lured into the proximity of a car and then shot at. In PV, at Long Curve, there is a car which invites to be applied in such manner. On the other hand, cars have not been known to be the place of choice to spend the night in. The reason being it gets horribly cold inside them when temperatures fall, and we can neither light a fire inside nor use the temperature bonus from the bedroll. Sleeping in a car over night invites doom, or, in other words, the Long Dark.

Now in my current run, the process of hunting a bear forced me to spend two nights in a row in the car at Long Curve, with blizzards raging outside. I guess I survived because of a mere coincidence, and I wanted to share this:

Before the disaster started, I had ignited a fire right next to the car, very close to it, and started cooking bear meat there (the trunk was filled with raw bear meat, and I feared it would take too long to transfer up to Signal Hill while raw). The weather turned windy, and I crouched beside the fire with the car blocking the wind. Windchill was -1°C there, and I happily cooked away, thinking that at some time I should make my way up the hill to avoid nightfall here at "my" car. However - who would have guessed - a blizzard picked up. I entered the car into the driver's seat. Temperatures fell drastically, but I realized they came from a very high level. Aha! The fire outside was warming me through the door! Now this was interesting, as the car reduced windchill, and the fire was able to survive, being off-wind next to the car. Ha! I went to sleep for an hour, woke up and found the fire merrily burning on in the blizzard. No freezing for me.

I then spent the night sleeping hour-wise and sometimes getting out of the car to forage for wood to keep the fire burning. And this worked. Another lucky coincidence - the fire was not located right in the spot where exiting the car dropped me off, only marginally off towards the back door. So no fire damage when leaving the car.

Well, I survived this, but I still would not recommend it as a viable method. During the second night, another blizzard hit and when the wind changed direction, it extinguished the fire. I had to leave the car right into the storm without any shelter nearby. Unpleasant.

• 1 month later...

Those cars are real death traps:

So here I was happily trodding along with my bear skin bedroll, it's getting dark, it's misty, and I find a car. So I'm like: I think I'm somewhere between the trailer and the fishing huts at Coastal Highway, but I came out of the woods and I can't see sh*t, so who knows?

Anyway, I went a little further, but decided to go back to the car because it's getting dark and I'm not sure whether I'm actually going towards the fishing huts or walking towards a dead end.

Back at the car, I make myself comfy. Here's my brand new bear skin bedroll; boy will I stay warm tonight! First four hours were fine, but then a blizzard picked up and I noticed I was getting cold real fast.

So I was like: I better huddle back into those bear skins. See what another hour will do.

Let me tell you, it didn't do much. I saw that temperature bar going rapidly towards freezing. So I decided to make a run for it. Fortunately for me I had the road to guide me, but boy, do those cars suck for spending the night.

As I said: death trap.

Those cars are real death traps:

So here I was happily trodding along with my bear skin bedroll, it's getting dark, it's misty, and I find a car. So I'm like: I think I'm somewhere between the trailer and the fishing huts at Coastal Highway, but I came out of the woods and I can't see sh*t, so who knows?

Anyway, I went a little further, but decided to go back to the car because it's getting dark and I'm not sure whether I'm actually going towards the fishing huts or walking towards a dead end.

Back at the car, I make myself comfy. Here's my brand new bear skin bedroll; boy will I stay warm tonight! First four hours were fine, but then a blizzard picked up and I noticed I was getting cold real fast.

So I was like: I better huddle back into those bear skins. See what another hour will do.

Let me tell you, it didn't do much. I saw that temperature bar going rapidly towards freezing. So I decided to make a run for it. Fortunately for me I had the road to guide me, but boy, do those cars suck for spending the night.

As I said: death trap.

Luckily, you didn't die, so better "potential deathtrap". Aaand - you didn't even try the fire "trick". Of course one should not get caught up in a car at night, if it can be avoided. But if it happens, it's better than nothing. And: No bear is going to come home to its car in the middle of the night.

Archived