Gone fishing

TarjaS

I'm currently playing in Pilgrim and already got Living Off the Land, although it took 38 days to get it instead of the required 25. I did that in Mystery Lake as I did not want to risk dying in the Ravine before getting the achievement. I actually managed to get the achievement by scavenging, snaring rabbits and fishing. I had found a rifle, but it wasn't in very good condition and I left it at the Dam to wait for repairs.

Once I got the achievement and had cleared Mystery Lake of the harvestables needed for Happy Harvester, I travelled to Coastal Highway. The new Ravine was interesting, but I didn't stay to explore it fully this time as my next goals were Happy Harvester and It was THIS Big.

I had made about 10 fishing tackles and after harvesting what I could find, I decided to go fishing. I tried a few of the fishing huts, but noticed that the one between the town and Misanthrope's Island was most promising. It also has the benefit of easily getting to shelter without getting lost in a fog or blizzard. You either go straight forward from the doorway to the island or turn to the right and take a course at a 45-degree angle from the side wall to get back to town.

96x96-BillTarling.thumb.jpg.d62832a712c4

2015-04-13_00002.thumb.jpg.e4207919b26d8

2015-04-13_00003.thumb.jpg.5530cdcff1191

Got all the new achievements since they were added (except for fish one and wrapped in furs) while playing just PV map only. Tried getting fish one, but in 2-3 days was not able to. However, i clearly recall catching one in my previous run on pv (before fish achievement was added), and it was around 1850 cals, and 6kg. But i heard that it is pretty hard to get fish achievement in ML and PV because its just ponds or small lakes. While CH is a big lake.

In CH, it's actually the sea, which explains the size of the fish. You wouldn't get anything very big in something as small as Mystery Lake. And I suddenly realized something very strange. There's a hydro dam and water coming from there, but where does the water go? There's no river out of the lake.

yeah then it explains sizes in CH :) Have you seen pensive pond in PV, if you think ML lake is small? :) Its like a puddle comparing to ML :) But yeah i have caught a 4.99 or so in PV pensive pond, which is not enough of course :)

have not played ML in a while, does the water run in hydro dam, or is it frozen? :)

I got some data from Pensive Pond. Made 8 runs of 1h.

Line (90%) didn't snap once. I am not sure if I was just lucky or if it was the stove that was burning all the time. Could it have something to do with the hole freezing over?

1 -

2 - whitefish

3 -

4 -

5 - whitefish

6 - whitefish + brass

7 -

8 - brass + whitefish

The fish varied a lot between 1 and 4 kg. A 4 kg brass gave me >1300 calories. All the same, I could hardly sustain myself with such fishing. It's still fun but also surprisingly dangerous. A blizzard trapped me for a night and a day and it could have killed me.

Have you seen pensive pond in PV, if you think ML lake is small?

I don't think I've seen Pensive Pond yet, but I'm in PV now, so I'll go look for it. The reason I call Mystery Lake small is that in real life, it would be very small for a lake. I grew up by a lake that wasn't even that big in our scale and the other end was kilometers away.

And about the hydro dam, the water might be frozen in winter, but it won't be in summer and there really should be a way out for it somewhere.

I would consider ML a small/medium lake but its ok. You are from Finland, I guess that means lakes in all sizes. We have a lot of small ones like in the game in my area (surroundings of Berlin), but also many large ones, I am always surprised that there are many that I haven't noticed before, and there are fish inside (though not impressive specimens). A map with several, connected lakes would be nice, expecially if we had other seasons and could traverse them by boat.

Pensive pond seems ok, though the fish would not be so big, and it can be quite dangerous if you dont watch the weather.

Archived