Moose and smokers

justsomeguy

New to the forum, so not sure if asked before but moose would be a terrific addition to the wildlife. Lots of meat, but they can run you over and do some damage.

Also being able to craft a smoker may be cool, has to be used outside, takes longer to smoke your meat, but if u can fill it and go about your business while a percentage ticker keeps track of the progress it would free u up to forage or boil water on your campfire at the same time. Also have it return less calories, but with a longer shelf life then u can speed up the decay of cooked food a bit to give the survivor a choice: quick cook, spoil quick or long smoke, long lasting

There are no wild boar in northern Canada as far as I know. There are bison and sheep though. Bison are safe as long as you do not corner them and sheep are impossible to sneak up on. Both could make fun prey. Moose would be great.Scary, but great. They have tones of meat on them and if they were anything like the real one, they would be hard to kill.

• 2 months later...

both these ideas seem to make sense and would be an awesome feature to this game!

As for smokers I guess there can be multiple ways to create/build a smoker. I'm sure the devs will figure that one out.

I personally would love to see two sized smokers a large outdoor one which takes time to build and a small indoor/personal one you could use.

Smoker is a great idea.

There are plenty of large steel barrels in Carter Dam to make a smoker out of. Could need to use the Quality Tools in the red toolbox to craft.

If I lived in the Coastal Town site I would definitely have built an outside smoker to preserve the fish and deer meat for the winter.

+1 to the OP. That said, would using a smoker attract predators?

For instance, I never EVER butcher a kill in camp. I prep the meat out in the field. If I am camping, I don't cook my food where I sleep. Let the wildlife get attracted to my field kitchen and leave my sleeping area alone!

I think smoking food to preserve it is a great idea, though there does need to be some sort of trade off. The calorie loss is negligible with smoking food as a preservative so maybe attracting predators would be a good trade off. That said, having a smoker become a lure would make hunting even easier. Bad enough the bear knocks on your door in PV. Maybe luring in a lot of wolves would tank the presence of deer/rabbit? They run off or get eaten by the influx of predators. Dunno.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
and what about boars ?

Canada is not known for wild boars however a bit of research shows they are here and increasing. They are a nasty animal to hunt and can be quite dangerous.

Wild boar populations an unmeasured menace in B.C., says researcher Female boars are incredibly fertile, producing 2-3 times per year with an average of 6 piglets per litter By Radio West, CBC News Posted: Jul 10, 2015 lefthttp://i.cbc.ca/1.3144116.1436398700!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/wild-boars.jpg

Moose are very well known and also dangerous. An advantage of moose is that you can call them!

[bBvideo 560,340:3r4ekvzu]

[/bBvideo] Home made smoker. Apparently continuous smoke is not necessary. He let's the fire go out once or twice while he picks through the meat for the done bits.

[bBvideo 560,340:3r4ekvzu]

[/bBvideo] more smoking action.

An article on smoking meat. Start right off with the entire quarter in the smoke house and then cut it up. Get Your Jerk On! How to Smoke Moose Meat, Alaska Style Angela Gonzalez 9/28/14

The following web page describes the various processes and kinds of smoking:Survival Skills: Smoking Meat and Fish for Flavor and Preservation

There are many ways to set up a smoking operation ranging from a simple rack over a fire for hot smoking to an enclosed hut or wigwam for cold smoking. Some pictures of smokers.

hotsmokingmeat.jpg?itok=PKV1y5GA

fig8-27.gif

smoking1.jpg

Moose Behaviour & Habitat

6 Moose Behaviours during rut

Comprehensive reference about moose

Moose charge or bluff; how to avoid

Moose safety when hiking; signs and behaviours

Moose precautions, grunting, hair standing up on their neck, licking their snouts, cocking their head, rolling their eyes and ears back.

[bBvideo 560,340:14u1n8qk]

[/bBvideo] Moose charge

[/bBvideo] Moose grunts

[/bBvideo] Moose charge with warning signs

[/bBvideo] Moose charge

[/bBvideo] Steven Rinella gets charged by a moose

[/bBvideo] Same moose but afterwards moose steaks and marrow. Rinella makes awesome videos!

I did some research and it seems beef loses %60 to %75 of its weight when smoked depending on what you are going for. Most people seems to leave some moisture in the jerky for taste reasons. Ideal jerky shouldn't snap when bent but if you want it preserved longer it can be kept in smoker for a bit longer and all the moisture can be evaporated from the jerky untill it snaps when bent with little to no moisture inside loosing %75 of its weight.

Another note is that smoked meat doesn't seem to loose its nutritional value much. In fact slow cooked meat seems to better preserve nutritional value. Only problem is that vitamin C is lost during the process of smoking but calories are preserved better than cooking the meat fast. Another health problem about consuming jerky is the high sodium intake because of the salt ammount in jerky which is needed for preservation.

The smoker attracting predators is a great idea! It would force u to smoke away from your camp... Which is what I would do irl.

When new items/features are added in I hope realistic features such as this above comment make it in with the new items.

Same goes for animals.

Looking forward to the continued development of my new favorite game :)

I'd love a smoker! Moose would be cool too. That's one thing I dont get about this game, most of it is really quite realistic, but the amount of meat we get from deer, vs how long it last us is really off. I can go thru a whole deer in less than a week of gameplay seems really low to me

I'd love a smoker! Moose would be cool too. That's one thing I dont get about this game, most of it is really quite realistic, but the amount of meat we get from deer, vs how long it last us is really off. I can go thru a whole deer in less than a week of gameplay seems really low to me

It is very hard to build a truly realistic simulation and preserve the application as a game. The calorie supplies are restricted to make the game more challenging. The long harvesting and cooking times seem to be there to add the element of risk to the game and as a mechanism for making trade-off decisions just like in survival in real life. I would prefer, for the sake of realism, if there were other risks such as injuries during wood chopping, or infections or illnesses or loneliness or more predators such as cougar. The idea of adding moose is interesting because a moose has a lot of meat; enough to last through a winter season if preserved or kept frozen. A moose can also add risk to the hunting experience. Here is a prey animal that also can do damage! Another interesting animal is the wolverine.

I think letting us smoke meat would mean we could have more things in the game like sugar and salt for preservation. Omit them if necessary but the meat won't last as long. Use too much and get more dehydrated when you eat it. Also it would free us of the tedious chore of cooking meat although preparation time would go up a little since you need to make strips, brine the meat and hang it. The smoking process would be one continuous process that did not require us to sit through a static animation of cooking each chunk of meat. It would occur concurrently with other game play as long as you were able to return to check it and tend it periodically. Brining and cutting the meat should be done indoors or in shelter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived