Multi-monitor / Nvidia Surround / Amd Eyefinity /21:9

spoonie

Hi,

Can't wait to get my hand on my physical goodies from my kickstarter backing and more importantly play the game :) But I would really love to see this game support multi-monitor users like me :) I know a lot of our community would jump on board if it was a possibility :)

Thanks again - keep up the good work.

Guest Alan Lawrance

Hi Spoonie,

I worked on EyeFinity support for Saints Row IV, and it's amazing how multi-monitor can really enhance the game experience.

The extent of multi-monitor support for The Long Dark is going to mostly depend on how easy it is to support with Unity. Given our timeframe and resources, we can't afford to put a lot of time into a feature like this. As cool as it is, it only reaches a relatively small audience.

I am putting an item on my list to do an investigation into multi-monitor support though, and we'll support it if it can be done without a lot of work.

Out of curiosity, do you have a sense for what is the most popular platform for multi-monitor out there now (Nvidia vs AMD)?

Hi Spoonie,

I worked on EyeFinity support for Saints Row IV, and it's amazing how multi-monitor can really enhance the game experience.

The extent of multi-monitor support for The Long Dark is going to mostly depend on how easy it is to support with Unity. Given our timeframe and resources, we can't afford to put a lot of time into a feature like this. As cool as it is, it only reaches a relatively small audience.

I am putting an item on my list to do an investigation into multi-monitor support though, and we'll support it if it can be done without a lot of work.

Out of curiosity, do you have a sense for what is the most popular platform for multi-monitor out there now (Nvidia vs AMD)?

Hey Alan,

Thanks for getting back to me :)

If you worked on Saints Row IV eyefinity support than I thank you - because that game for at least the last two iterations have had fantastic support :) You're more than right about the impact on immersion multi-monitors can bring - and in fact I don't believe it's as small a community as everyone thinks. A lot of the time we aren't as vocal, because you usually don't get anywhere with dev's, and we have a couple of smart kids that just fix the games that don't support it. I agree it's not huge, but a little birdie told me that in the coming years we will see a big push for more multi-monitors and support for the tech.

All that aside, I couldn't say exactly how the figures stack up in regards to Nvidia vs Amd. I would say it's pretty even, maybe with a Nvidia edge. I started using this tech with Amd, but converted to Nvidia. The amount of threads I've started and unofficial 'PR' work I do for Nvidia at the moment - I should really be getting paid :)

So I thank you for at least acknowledging our existence, and I could always put you in contact with one of our geniuses that is always fixing games to support multi-monitor. He would probably work for free to have some more things on his resume :P

Obviously you've already got experience in the matter - and I am of the understanding that the Unity Engine is quite flexible, and I have seen a few games now from indie dev's released with good multi-monitor support. So I have faith :)

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but don't necessarily want to create a new one for my question. So I apologize in advance.

I run 2d surround 5760x1080. The game initially started with that aspect ratio/resolution available. I switched to 1920x1080 as a test. I then tried to switch back to fullscreen 5760x1080, but the resolution list doesn't allow me to scroll far enough down to select it.

I tried to find the games' .ini file to manually type in my resolution, and or, to reset my games graphics options, but cannot locate the config file to delete (and hopefully reset) my settings.

Deleting Steam local content and re-installing the game did not reset the options.

Thanks for any help :)

• 1 month later...

I can say that I believe AMD is the biggest multi-monitor company right now. They've always had better support for it and continue to improve features for it as well...way more than Nvidia.

Also, yes, it should be added and it's not difficult to do with Unity. I know PLENTY of Unity games that even support it by default (even cheaper games that I KNOW weren't built for it, etc).

So yeah...Should just be a change of FOV and some other minor things...people make new profiles for programs like Flawless Widescreen hours after a games release. It must not be something too major to fix.

No having proper multi-monitor support is, honestly, one of the reasons I haven't gotten the game yet. I don't like playing survival games without my peripheral view...DayZ, Breaking Point, etc...it's definitely needed!

Thanks and hope support comes soon...the sooner it does the sooner I will bring my support! :D

Archived