Bleeding out, no bandages

DEZXTER

So in my current play through there was a moment I don't think I will forget. I know I will never forget how to make bandages as long as the method doesn't change. I had just survived a wolf attack and when I went into my first aid inventory my heart sunk as I realized that I had no bandages. I thought, "No problem, I can just go to the crafting hut in the Quonset gas station and craft some." as I had some cloth with me. But when I got there and tried, bandages weren't in the menu of craftable things! Next I thought, "well I know I haven't looted all the structures in the coastal town site yet and bandages aren't too rare of a find" So I decided to look for bandages. The problem was night was coming on and by the time I had searched two of the other houses I couldn't really see. I ended up finding my way back to the Quonset knowing that I had no bandages and would not be able to last the night without one. I made one last desperate search around the Quonset among the supplies that I had there and... no luck. I didn't have any bandages stashed away any where. I had survived the wolf attack with 68% condition left and by now I was down to 28%. I had almost given up hope.

My next thought was to come onto the forums to request that craft-able bandages be made available in the next update. I figured I could go without playing for a few days and then be able to craft one at the crafting table when they were added. But I didn't really want to take the cheap way out. I am not one who likes to hibernate or do something that is really broken like that. So I kept trying to figure it out. I also considered going online to search for how to craft bandages but again I wanted to figure it out for myself if it was in the game. So I un-paused the game after going over my options for a few moments. It ended up that I did figure out how to make bandages. I am glad to say that my longest run so far is still going. I have gotten beyond the 17 Day mark. I rested back up to 100%. But that feeling of desperation I had while bleeding out with no way to stop it was very real. I am quite sure that I will never forget how to make bandages as long as that mechanic isn't changed. This game definitely creates a connection between the player and their character. Every time I am about to get into a wolf attack I feel like my adrenaline starts pumping. If my character is freezing in a blizzard in the game with no shelter nearby I get a feeling of desperation.

Thanks Hinterland for making a great game. And stay true to your vision for the game. It will get you far. Yes we as a community may have things that we would like to see added to the game, and yes we may feel disappointed if they are not implemented. But you guys are the ones who are making this game and your vision has gotten you so far already. Stay true to it and I feel like you will do just fine. If you feel like something we ask for enhances your vision or makes the game better consider adding it. But don't sacrifice the feel of the game. Thank you for this gem. I am looking forward to where you guys take this in the future.

Yes! This was absolutely one of my favorite aspects of the game when I was starting off, just the feeling of finding yourself in a situation and not knowing what to do. I love that TLD doesn't give you anything other than the game world and your brain to figure things out. No instructions, no box that pops up "Oh your bleeding better open up first aid, or make a bandage with your cloth!" no none of that, instead this game says "Hey you got jacked up by a wolf figure it out" and I love it.

Totally know what you mean about that adrenaline rush you get when something happens to your character and the connection you end up feeling. I think the perma-death aspect of the game absolutely contributes to that feeling. It's one of those rare games where dying actually has a significant consequence!

Archived