Rendez vous with death

Denyo

I was at day 286,running out of meat,on Mistery Lake.I went fishing on first hut,spent there 3 days,with constant high tension and focus,coz of wolves circling arround hut.After three days I snapped all 4 fishing lines,ate all fish(in meantime I got once food poisoning,as I ate mostly raw fish).So,I was forced to leave that hut and go searching for venison.As soon I stepped out the hut,I saw wolf catching deer.I had one bandage and no antiseptic,but I still risked and went on open straight attack on wolf.Amazing,but this time I manage to kill him instantly.I healed myself,applying bandage,eating antibiotics and painkillers.But,without antiseptic,red warning med kit icon didn`t dissapear.I was in danger of wound infection.

I cooked wolf and deer meat,boiled some water and went resting for 10 hours.I got back to 100% condition,but still there was danger of infection.So,I had to make decision,till wound still wasn`t infected.On CH map I had Old Man Beard Lichen,so I decided to go there.That would mean,I must harvest bear bedroll to get cloth and make bandage for Old Man Beards Lichen compresion bandage.I safely arrived to Dam,rested there for an hour and continue to CH.

When I enter ed CH,I went straight down to Rabbit Groove cabin,to spend a night there and continue to JR Island next day.I filled myself with food and water and set myself resting for 8 hrs.And then it happened!! My wound got infected,and my condition drasticaly dropped down to 45% !! It was 02.00 a.m. so it was black dark outside.I was feeling so stupid right away.:-/ Why I didn`t just continue to JR Island? I would come there arround 21.00 p.m. , but still better,than this! I was thinking,what to do.Then I decided to try sleep till morning,just till it get a bit brighter.Just in case I slept first only for 1 hour.Dang! 22% ! 03.00 a.m.....outside still so dark,that I did`t see a finger infront of my nose.But I had to make a decision: Or to just give up and die in sleep,or keep faith and try to come to JR in this black dark night.I survived for 290 days and I felt sorry to end just like that,without fight.So I lit lantern and stepped outside with courage.

Now...here I must thank again ChillPlayer and his tips,as well his education streams.I felt such gratitude,that I died so many times before this run.That way I was traveling many times trough same locations,so I could remember layout of map,obstacles,landscape,...I wasn`t traveling just on blind,but using map in my memory.I safely came down under the bridge,to frozen sea.Luckly,sky cleared out,so I could see contures of JR far away and stars so bright.

Now,there comes harder part.How to come to JR,without run on any wolf? I haven`t travel at night yet,so I could not be sure,if wolves patern follows daylight routine.But,thank thank thank again to hours and hours spent on observing wolves,their movements,and also time.Again I draw a map in my mind,where are potential places,where should i travel between wolves packs.But,now my condition dropped to 12% ! One wolf attack,and I am dead.I ran along imaginate path to JR.On half way there,suddenly I heared barking,back and a bit right of me.Instinctively I dropped decoy and changed my way abit.Wolf stopped to chack decoy,ufffff!!

I already saw bottom of JR Island,when another barking was heared.I looked arround,in complete dark.Where are you?? Dang,where are you?? :-( My heart was beating like nuts,whille that barking was comming closer and closer.Suddenly I notice a pair of green eyes just infront of me.I dropped decoy instinctively again and turned 90%,still running.What is wolf doing? Ufff..he stopped by decoy.I rann in wide circle arround him,all the time checking sorroundings. 10% condition! Fog came down! Now I realy was running totaly on blind,just orientating by my memory.Soon I noticed bottom of island and ran uphill.No wolves were on my path to house,so I banged into safety,closing doors behind me.Loong breath of relief came out from my mouth!

Luckly,I forgot I had two antiseptic on JR,so I could save my bear bedroll for a whille still.

I put it on,as well antibiotics and was recovering two days to full condition.

That is the adventure of today in short. :D I hope you learned from it few things,guys.Don`t be desperate,if you die many times.That way there is more chance you remember every place in map better.And when you will run realy long survival,that aknowledge of maps will come to you so much in handy.Learn about enviroment,observe wolves.Try to remember as much details you can.

Before today I was affraid to move and travel at night.Watching ChillPlayer,I had oppinion,that he is simply just crazy lunatic,lol.I thought it is impossible to travel at night.But,after this adventure,I completely changed my mind.It is possible to travel at night,if we have memorised as much details we can.And if we are prepared for every next move,and expecting unexpected.:-)

Very exciting story! :)

Congratulations on cheating death once again - it would really have been a pitty to die due to an infection shortly before day 300! I believe one of the most important rules in TLD is neither to panic, nor to give up. Just keep a cool head, think of your options and decide which looks most promising to you. Just like you did. ;)

@Scyzara-@ryanhinterland-@Hotzn : Thanx for appreciating this story and found it good reading. :) It was realy interesting experience,and just like ChillPlayer said...I am now in that phase of game,where things starting to get realy intense and interesting.It is realy so true about 3rd phase of game.This phase is most interesting in wholle game.

I encourage al players,that they do not succumb to boring and monotone gameplay on phase 2(which is: eat-sleep-eat),but instead keep insist,till you start running out of supplies,tools,clothing,... Then yet you experience real survival.Believe me,in phase 3 there is not a single moment boring. :) Nothing is repetative,every situation is a story for itself.

Just hang on,guys! ;)

I encourage al players,that they do not succumb to boring and monotone gameplay on phase 2(which is: eat-sleep-eat),but instead keep insist,till you start running out of supplies,tools,clothing,... Then yet you experience real survival.Believe me,in phase 3 there is not a single moment boring. :) Nothing is repetative,every situation is a story for itself.

You needn't follow the phases in the first place. It took me some time to realize that this is a viable option, but I've had much more fun since I stopped following the phase 1/2/3-system. ;)

Just mix up the three phases - e.g. leave one or even two maps completely unexplored for the first 150 days of gameplay and already start to avoid using bullets for hunting pretty early. Forage wood by hand (even if you still have plenty of scrap metal you could use for repairs) and save matches whenever possible. Live on fishing/snaring/scaring wolves away from deer carcasses with torches or by dropping decoys. If safely (no other wolf nearby), always hand-fight them for self defense. The rifle is nothing but your last resort.

I'm currently on a day 300 Stalker game, still have 28 bullets as well as about 20 pieces of scrap metal and cloth left and it's GREAT fun! Should I ever make it to day 365, I'll write my own survival story about it. :)

Might take a while, though. As I don't hibernate (and unfortunately don't have as much free time to play as I wished), I'm progressing rather slowly.^^

Just mix up the three phases - e.g. leave one or even two maps completely unexplored for the first 150 days of gameplay and already start to avoid using bullets for hunting pretty early. Forage wood by hand (even if you still have plenty of scrap metal you could use for repairs) and save matches whenever possible. Live on fishing/snaring/scaring wolves away from deer carcasses with torches or by dropping decoys. If safely (no other wolf nearby), always hand-fight them for self defense. The rifle is nothing but your last resort.

I'm currently on a day 300 Stalker game, still have 28 bullets as well as about 20 pieces of scrap metal and cloth left and it's GREAT fun! Should I ever make it to day 365, I'll write my own survival story about it. :)

Might take a while, though. As I don't hibernate (and unfortunately don't have as much free time to play as I wished), I'm progressing rather slowly.^^

I completely agree with you.Something similar I intend to do in my next run,as I still need to achieve Pacifist and Silent Hunter.My current run is anyway only for learning on my mistakes,and more it goes to the end,I am aware of more and more mistakes,I did.I didn`t expect this run to be so long,actually. :D

Now I am aware that,if I would do less mistakes and play more carefully,365 days of survival is normaly reachable,without hibernation.I neither use it,as this kind of playing would soon make me lose interest.There is always alot of things to do,not only looting places and hunting.I use time to learn more about wolves,enviroment,observing changes,figuring every aspect of game,I can.And in this stage I travel arround to enjoy wiew in different stages of day.Realy,so amazing graphics,and never get boring to watch just landscape and sky.

Archived