Killed my first 2 bears

elloco999

So yesterday I decided it was time to try and bag my first bear. I was at the Farmstead so I decided to go for the bear south of the farmstead. I spend 2 days watching it to see how I could best shoot it without getting hurt myself. I decided on the rock near the cave where the bear comes down from. It's accessible from the river and from the top you've got a good vantage point and a clear view of the path the bear will take.

The next day I ate a lot of food, wore my best clothes, packed all my gear etc. I set out for the rock I had picked out, but the bear was already coming down the path and almost at the rock when I arrived. I manged to get up on the rock before the bear noticed me. It came towards me and started walking slowly around the rock. I took my aim and fired a shot. I think I missed completely as the bear didn't give any reaction at all. It just kept walking slowly around the rock. I shot it again and I'm sure I hit it in the head this time. It ran off, back to the cave.

I decided to sleep for an hour on top of the rock before going down to look for the bear, to give it time to bleed out. Big mistake! I woke up with a bear in my face. It knocked my out cold and when I came to the bear was patrolling the base of the rock. I quickly treated my wounds but now I couldn't get back to the farmstead with that bear at the base. I started a fire to stay warm and hoped the bear would leave. It didn't and probably manage to get stuck as it was "walking in place" in a spot where I couldn't see it. After maneuvering around a good deal I could finally see it. I decided to shoot it and after 3 shots in the head it dropped. I climbed down the rock and ran back to the farmstead to heal.

The next day I went out to harvest the bear. I found 1 near the rock where I dropped it, but found another 1 at the cave. I had gotten way more than I bargained for! It took me all day to harvest the bear at the cave and bring everything back to the farmstead. But when I went back the next day for the other bear, it was gone :x Guess I should have gotten the hides first before starting on the meat...

It doesn't really matter that much though, the meat I got from that 1 bear plus the canned food I've got stored will probably be enough to reach my goal. Still it doesn't feel right to lose so much meat and gut. ;)

Congratulations on your double-kill and good luck with the bedroll- it's great to have, especially in Pleasant Valley! :)

I shot it again and I'm sure I hit it in the head this time. It ran off, back to the cave.

You know you were damn lucky, do you? :D

I've never had any other reaction from a bear (after shooting it) than chasing after me like a nightmare come true!

Got mauled 3 times for my bedroll and narrowly escaped the fourth bear by running down a steep hillside. Was great fun and totally worth it, though!

I figured that would happen, so that's why I decided to climb up on that rock. I figured the bear would not be able to climb up after me so I'd be save.

You're right about that, other players reported that if the bear can't find a path to you, it will either run away or stand on the spot.^^

I've decided against this strategy as it appears to be a pathfinding bug to me, but the devs don't seem to consider it an exploit... maybe I'll do it during my next run as well. ;)

There is another way to kill at least one of the bears without getting mauled...not sure I would call it an exploit but anyway.

If you are lucky enough to find a bunker near the bear cave that is close to the long curve you can position yourself next to the hatch, shoot the bear once when it exits the cave and then quickly enter the bunker. Sleep for an hour in the bunker and voila...bear dead with one shot and no damage.

So yesterday I decided it was time to try and bag my first bear. I was at the Farmstead so I decided to go for the bear south of the farmstead. I spend 2 days watching it to see how I could best shoot it without getting hurt myself. I decided on the rock near the cave where the bear comes down from. It's accessible from the river and from the top you've got a good vantage point and a clear view of the path the bear will take.

The next day I ate a lot of food, wore my best clothes, packed all my gear etc. I set out for the rock I had picked out, but the bear was already coming down the path and almost at the rock when I arrived. I manged to get up on the rock before the bear noticed me. It came towards me and started walking slowly around the rock. I took my aim and fired a shot. I think I missed completely as the bear didn't give any reaction at all. It just kept walking slowly around the rock. I shot it again and I'm sure I hit it in the head this time. It ran off, back to the cave.

I decided to sleep for an hour on top of the rock before going down to look for the bear, to give it time to bleed out. Big mistake! I woke up with a bear in my face. It knocked my out cold and when I came to the bear was patrolling the base of the rock. I quickly treated my wounds but now I couldn't get back to the farmstead with that bear at the base. I started a fire to stay warm and hoped the bear would leave. It didn't and probably manage to get stuck as it was "walking in place" in a spot where I couldn't see it. After maneuvering around a good deal I could finally see it. I decided to shoot it and after 3 shots in the head it dropped. I climbed down the rock and ran back to the farmstead to heal.

The next day I went out to harvest the bear. I found 1 near the rock where I dropped it, but found another 1 at the cave. I had gotten way more than I bargained for! It took me all day to harvest the bear at the cave and bring everything back to the farmstead. But when I went back the next day for the other bear, it was gone :x Guess I should have gotten the hides first before starting on the meat...

It doesn't really matter that much though, the meat I got from that 1 bear plus the canned food I've got stored will probably be enough to reach my goal. Still it doesn't feel right to lose so much meat and gut. ;)

Nice work! Congrats!

Archived