Script Error Crashes Game (Fixed in v.06)

ArrayKnight

I was running along unencumbered. I entered the lake cabin office on the door that faces away from the lake. Upon entering, Will says he's gonna have to drop some gear. I hit [TAB] and nothing happened. Tried [ESC], nothing. Tried to walk around, couldn't. Looking around with the mouse still works though the game is really choppy. Hit [~] and the console dropped down and is continuously spitting out the error: "Log Output: Argument Exception: The thing you want to instantiate is null."

game-breaking.thumb.jpg.c34de059cfc5c6c8

Guest Alan Lawrance

OK, I'm pretty sure I know what caused this.... we removed one of the Reclaimed Wood types (since it was duplicated), but Camp Office still has some of the old versions. Trying to restore those (if they are stored in a Container) would cause this. The Container save/restore needs to be more robust, and we also need to get rid of the obsolete reclaimed wood objects. Thanks for reporting this one!

Totally understand the bug but...

Did not notice the capacity before, makes sense, I could definitely benefit from storing heavier objects in the static corpses scattered about.

Alan, comes back to the old "should I be able to store things in dead things" and the discussion becomes a lot more complex.

1. Should a dead thing disappear after being looted.

2. If not how much should a dead thing be able to store.

3. Does it make sense that I'm storing 5 blocks of wood and a can opener in a dead thing.

really opens up the debate and I am currently leaning on "no storage in dead things" but that could change quickly.

Totally understand the bug but...

Did not notice the capacity before, makes sense, I could definitely benefit from storing heavier objects in the static corpses scattered about.

Alan, comes back to the old "should I be able to store things in dead things" and the discussion becomes a lot more complex.

1. Should a dead thing disappear after being looted.

2. If not how much should a dead thing be able to store.

3. Does it make sense that I'm storing 5 blocks of wood and a can opener in a dead thing.

really opens up the debate and I am currently leaning on "no storage in dead things" but that could change quickly.

I sort of agree with this. But I'm in the thought, that you could only store things on a Dead Person, that you can get from a dead person.

I think storing unclaimed wood, and the sorts, is just wrong, so if you can only get food, medicine and clothing, then you should only be able to put back, food, medicine and clothing !!!

I have a similar error.

Logoutput: index out of range exception: array index is out of range

I had stored some wood in the cupboard so may be related.

I can post my debug log if need be.

My save game is still there but I am stuck in the cabin and can move but everything else is locked up.

Guest Alan Lawrance

No doubt this is the same error. Will be fixed next update -- as a temp workaround don't store any reclaimed wood in a container... it's OK to drop in the world though.

Archived