play modes - difficulties

pipsa

I tried looking for this kind of proposal or wish but could not find any, so sorry if this has already been proposed and I missed it.

I would like to propose 2 phase difficulty setting and the main reason for this is that I would like to play a game where the wildlife would not attack me but have more challenges on finding food and actually surviving.

So basically you would first select the level of other environmental challenges (weather, amount of stuff found, calorie consumption etc) so modes or levels could be the same as they are now and then kind of "tick a box" regarding the wildlife behaviour. This would allow you to play difficult survival game but difficulty would only come from other elements than wildlife.

I don't know how you feel about this but allowing this would not be away from anyone it would just give a bit more variety of the game play. And since it's a wishlist :) one can always wish :D

Think the normal Pilgrim mode is too easy (but very good when you are trying the game out at first) from finding too much stuff perspective but going into difficult modes adds also the wildlife. I know this is the mechanics right now but maybe there would be others that would enjoy the difficulty without wildlife perspective also. Add even more fans to this great game?

Thanks for reading and hope you can think about this :)

So a possibility fo super hard mode - weather conditions, scarce supplies, but without danger from wildlife (all animals running away would actually make it harder to hunt as well)? Sounds great! That's what I missed whonce I learned maps, and some game mechanic - 95-99% of the time wolfes are killing me and resource managment is secondary. And I like it too, but being able to select what you proposed would as you said would add another gameplay possibilities, more fun/different challenges.

So I like this idea a lot, and I'm all for it. Either possibility to set those difficulties separately (wildlife agresion and other things) or, in it's simples form and easiest to implement - a simple 'wildlife does not attack you' field you can check at the difficulties page, so you can have stalker and that.

But I would love to have an even more dificult mode as far as envirenmental hazards and supply shortage, with no wildlife attacks - that would make a whole new game! :)

+1

Sounds great - there could be sliders to adjust density of deer/rabbits, wolves, prefabricated items (canned food, tools etc.), a slider for weather conditions, another for calorie burn rate and so on. Would allow for all sorts of individual settings. Difficulty levels would then be Pilgrim, Voyager,Stalker (all with preset sliders) aaand - Custom (with individual slider settings). That might please all those players who do not find any difficulty setting 100% satisfying.

+1

Sounds great - there could be sliders to adjust density of deer/rabbits, wolves, prefabricated items (canned food, tools etc.), a slider for weather conditions, another for calorie burn rate and so on. Would allow for all sorts of individual settings. Difficulty levels would then be Pilgrim, Voyager,Stalker (all with preset sliders) aaand - Custom (with individual slider settings). That might please all those players who do not find any difficulty setting 100% satisfying.

Here is some info on that from Raph from the Reddit AMA

http://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/com ... at/coroxyx

I'm not a fan of the sliders idea-I like having set parameters. I DO like the idea of having a mode where survival is still difficult, but wildlife is not the major threat. We had a pretty good discussion about adding a 'realistic' game mode/difficulty setting here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Ideal difficulty setups for me would be:

- Pilgrim:

Weather and scarcity of can food and resources on par with Stalker as it is now but without the hustle of wild life attacks for the explorers among us.

Basically: Stalker with no animal attacks.

- Voyageur:

On par with Stalker as is with no changes, so just downgrade Stalker to Voyageur.

Basically: New Voyager = Stalker

- Stalker:

Weather and scarcity of resources on par with Interloper as is now but with the rifle/axe/knife.

Basically: Interloper with rifles/axes/knifes ( this is what I would play the most)

-Interloper:

No changes, it's good as it is.

Reasoning behind all these proposed changes:

Imo, theres much to much canned food and wood available on Pilgrim and Voyager so you can skip 50% of the game play, the most interesting part basically, like hunting for food, crafting and raising non combat skills.

Even on Stalker you can get by with cans for at least 100 days without ever needing to hunt for deer and rabbits or fish, other then to maybe craft your clothing, which is also not necessary for survival at those levels.

I really like mastering rifle shooting but at this point Stalker is a snoozefest for me.

So to recap:

- Stalker weather conditions and food/drink supply should be the starting point for all difficulty levels.

- New voyager = Old Stalker

- New Stalker = Old Interloper but with rifle

- Interloper: No changes

Comon Hinterland , you know this makes perfect sense!

Archived