Location wish list

toebar

I've seen a few really good ideas for locations that the game could incorporate, so I thought I'd start a bit of a list to make things simpler, and maybe this will drive even more ideas. Add yours below I'll update the list--I'll include even the one's I don't prefer :)

edit: keep in mind that a lot of these really depend on where the devs are placing the game. Low population-density areas (as so far depicted) may not have certain amenities-- infrastructure that is (at least) plausible in remote locations is key. Then again-- story mode could go a long way in explaining seemingly out of place locations :D

No particular order

Man made

1. Nuclear power plant ;)

2. Sawmill

[glow=green]3. Mine/ Abandoned mine (with excellent layout provided! )[/glow] Added!

4. Mining town / other small town (which may include multiple items on this list :) )

5. Remote airfield/airport

6. Fish hatchery

7. Military complex/outpost

8. Port with fishing vessel, bar and abandoned warehouse (or these could be separate areas)

9. Mink farm

10. Animal shelter

11. Resort (e.g. ski hill/chalet....)

12. Hospital Complex or Mental Institution

13. Jail or Prison Complex; Sheriff's Office

14. Police and/or Fire Department

15. Water Well

16. [glow=green]Crashed Plane (added!)[/glow] or Helicopter ( this has been mentioned before a bunch also; associated Parachute Corpse hanging in a tree)

17. School

18. Rail yard and/or Rail Way Station

19. Junkyard

20. Used Car Lot

[glow=green]21. Lighthouse[/glow] - added!

[glow=green]22. Boats stuck out on the water[/glow] - added! (from container ships on down..), maybe stuck at all sorts of angles

23. Wrecked cars, burned out cars

24. Broken bridge

25. Observatory (with open dome :) )

26. Weather station (with working anemometer)

27. Antenna array

28. Electrical substation -- associated with hydro dam

29. Radio telescope installation

30. Amusement park (including icy ferris wheel of death)

31. Partially devastated town (landslide, earthquake, tribbles, etc)

[glow=green]32. Church[/glow]- added!

33. Shipyard

34. Hockey rink (Arena / backyard rink /natural pond with makeshift hockey rink)

Natural Type

1. Mountain Pass (traverse area to adjoining map)

2. Hot Spring

3. Bigger mountains

4. Beaver dam/pond/lodge

5. More Thin Ice -

6. Ice Slides - (slidable)

7. Ice Walls - (climbable)

8. Ice Caves (spelunkable)

9. Beach/Rocky shore with surf

10. Huge trees, fallen trees and stumps

11. Tundra - Arctic, or Alpine

12. a few more caves -[spoil](apparently there are 15 in PV already)[/spoil]

13. Canyon

14. Forest fire area

15. Glacier (could include ice-features above)

16. Large wilderness area (few if any manmade structures, could be a map between other areas)

17. Snowy beach

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen a few really good ideas for locations that the game could incorporate, so I thought I'd start a bit of a list to make things simpler, and maybe this will drive even more ideas. Add yours below I'll update the list--I'll include even the one's I don't prefer :)

No particular order

1. Nuclear power plant ;)

2. Sawmill

3. Mine/ Abandoned mine (with excellent layout provided! )

4. Mining town

5. Remote airfield

6. Fish hatchery

7. Military complex/outpost

For some reason, this list made me think of the fishing ports seen in The Deadliest Catch (I know, not filmed in Canada) ... with a large docked fishing vessel you could live aboard, an abandoned bar, warehouse, perhaps the remote airfield mentioned above.

I would love to see an abandonned mine transit area between CH and PV as well. :)

A pitch black mine shaft that can only be travelled through with a storm lantern or flare... it would be a bit scary at first and make you think twice whether you want to change maps, especially if you might have to encounter some kind of danger inside (a wolf/bear or maybe even a rockfall that makes you lose part of your condition).

My favorites regarding the other suggestions would be Sawmill, Airfield and Fish hatchery.

I personally would also love to see a mink farm (Yes, I desperately want a new scarf since my last basic scarf rotted away during a blizzard accidentally! :lol: ) or an abandonned animal shelter where you could find a stray dog to befriend.

You might want to add an Abandoned Resort town to that list, it has been mentioned in these forums before although it was some time ago.

Also as a point of speculative interest will the future region 4 will it be a just another link in the chain or will it reconnect with Mystery Lake, creating a loop

You might want to add an Abandoned Resort town to that list, it has been mentioned in these forums before although it was some time ago.

Thanks for that. And interesting question about the loop vs extension. I hadnt thought about it before. Now that you've mentioned it, I prefer the loop, or at least some sort of non-linear arrangement of maps: It seems most logical (to me!)

Any ideas for natural-type locations or features to add? I guess a wide variety have been covered already.

(I really have to get myself to PV to see what has been covered there :oops: - just haven't had much time to play lately and have had bad luck with wolves...)

personally I'd like for there to be loops rather than just a straight line. once the game is done it would probably encourage people to do speed runs, were some players take one path and other players take the second

and mystery lake still has some areas that could support a "mountain pass" to get to another region. A couple of good spots are discounted because of their proximity to bunker spawns however there is this little narrow valley at (279.7, 83.8, 1578.2) its not difficult to get to and the back of the valley reaches the edge of the back wall

3 natural type features:

Hot Spring - they're found throughout BC, in natural and human-altered states. e.g. Liard Hot Springs is slightly altered, but the hot pools are still mainly natural rock and soil banks. There are associated warm water wetlands that are attractive to wildlife (moose, fish, bears) and could offer different foraging opportunities than the rest of the deep freeze.

Bigger mountains - makes travel more difficult due to steep terrain; limited to certain paths--moreso than in ML and CH

Beaver dam and associated beaver pond and lodge.. this is just a small thing, but they're a pretty common feature..

Man Made:

1. Hospital Complex or Mental Institution

2. Jail or Prison Complex

3. Fire Department

4. Police Department

5. Well (yep, an old well with a pump... something we might need to fix). Would give water we did not have to melt or boil. However, you have to keep all the parts moving in the bitter cold.

6. Crashed Plane or Helicopter

7. Parachute Corpse hanging in a tree

8. School

9. Rail yard and/or Rail Way Station -- with train cars we can get in / on.

10. Junkyard

11. Used Car Lot

12. Lighthouse

13. Boats stuck out on the water (from container ships on down..), maybe stuck at all sorts of angles

14. Wrecked cars, burned out cars

Natural Locations:

1. More Thin Ice - right now ice is just a highway.

2. Destroyed Bridge - make is an event that takes out a bridge after a certain period of time. Players have to go around or fashion a method across. I know this is man made, but it is nature that takes it out. Would be cool to witness!!

3. Ice Slides - It would be "neat" to have a few areas that walking upon it simply drops the player onto their butt and slides them down to another location. There should be a chance for injury if approached backwards or at an off angle.

4. Ice Walls - this is something the player could climb, if the devs allow crampons and ice axes.

5. Ice Caves (like the ones around Lake Superior)

6. Crashing Ocean Surf - Unless we have entered an ice age like "Day After Tomorrow" some sort of craggy beach with crashing surf would be cool. It would also give another location to hunt for supplies (from drift wood to man made stuff) and food stuffs (barnicles, clams, seaweeds, etc).

7. Huge trees, fallen trees and stumps - Giving players the ability to shelter under a large fallen tree or in a hollowed out tree. Also, foraging around certain stumps might give an pine sap, a natural accelerant. OK, Pine Sap we should be able to get now. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to try out the mine transition zone. Quite impressed! When I first found it, I didn't have a lantern on me. I was too creeped out by the noises to attempt exploration with just my flare or torch, so I had to turn around and go find a lantern. lol :D

Something that would work as a Transitional Zone would be a Canyon, Like the entry way one region could be either a cave or crevasse with or without a small stream running along the bottom. Then the end could empty into a new region

• 1 month later...

in light of recent local events, I came up with another suggestion -- an area burned over by a forest fire.

Sort of a desolate area, with many left over blackened and branchless tree trunks left standing. Many fallen trunks could also make navigation challenging (without being able to jump anyway ;) )

Of course, coastal areas of BC have a wetter climate (being part of a rainforest), so they see a lot fewer forest fires... so it depends on where the devs want to put us.

in light of recent local events, I came up with another suggestion -- an area burned over by a forest fire.

Sort of a desolate area, with many left over blackened and branchless tree trunks left standing. Many fallen trunks could also make navigation challenging (without being able to jump anyway ;) )

Of course, coastal areas of BC have a wetter climate (being part of a rainforest), so they see a lot fewer forest fires... so it depends on where the devs want to put us.

This is interesting, although it make me wonder if because of the scorched ground if the area would be snow free or light of snow, considered that the blacked earth and trees would absorb more heat from the sun. Although it would be interesting to a scorched area.. with maybe a charred car or truck at its center

An observatory, even if its a small one, although who wouldn't like something bigger. It's awesome to be inside the dome with a telescope. Who wouldn't go to there on a clear night if the dome was open? Just do a goggle image search for "inside eso vlt" to get an idea.

Weather station. So you could watch the anemometer spin.

Antenna array at Signal Hill. Not the Duga-3, but still, more than one antenna.

Electrical substation annexed to the dam. Do an image search for "switchyard".

Also, concerning a resort, maybe my country's Bâlea Lake could provide some inspiration :roll:

On the shores of a glacier lake, two chalets, a weather station, a mountain rescue station and in the winter a hotel, restaurant, church and bar, all made of ice.

134117.jpg

Good thing there's no seasons in TLD, you'd begin in winter and by spring you'd start to lose buildings :lol:

My favorite is the mining town and would like to see one around the same size as the town in CH (7-9 buildings, some burned out of course) located at the age of the map on PV, as far as possible from the farm.

Bâlea Lake looks like a super interesting spot. I searched for some winter images and was not disappointed. One of my favorite teachers is Romanian - I should ask how long he thinks he could survive trapped up there :)

Also, concerning a resort, maybe my country's Bâlea Lake could provide some inspiration :roll:

On the shores of a glacier lake, two chalets, a weather station, a mountain rescue station and in the winter a hotel, restaurant, church and bar, all made of ice.

Good thing there's no seasons in TLD, you'd begin in winter and by spring you'd start to lose buildings :lol:

Very neat spot! though, I don't see a glacier? (But I have no doubt it's quite cold enough in the winter!)

This is interesting, although it make me wonder if because of the scorched ground if the area would be snow free or light of snow, considered that the blacked earth and trees would absorb more heat from the sun. Although it would be interesting to a scorched area.. with maybe a charred car or truck at its center

I don't think they would be snow free-- I get the feeling that the winter in TLD is too relentless for that :)

Really like the idea for a torched vehicle

Bâlea Lake looks like a super interesting spot. I searched for some winter images and was not disappointed. One of my favorite teachers is Romanian - I should ask how long he thinks he could survive trapped up there :)

And the road to it, which is closed in the winter and access is possible by cable car only :)

wide_view_over_the_northern_transfagarasan.jpg

Very neat spot! though, I don't see a glacier? (But I have no doubt it's quite cold enough in the winter!)

At the risk of making a total fool of myself, because I'm a city creature and these things are frankly over my head, what I understand by a glacier lake is a lake whose water came from a glacier that melted.

As regards to weather, I haven't been there in a long time but what I can tell you is that two months ago conditions were about 2.5m of snow @ about -16 degrees.

Archived