Pacifist run III

Hotzn

Here comes Hotzn again to delight readers with his foolishness. Yes, I will attempt another run for the Pacifist achievement on Stalker mode. What I have learned from the previous runs:

1. Do not get into a fight with wolves. If I have a weapon, they will most likely bleed out and I will miss the Pacifist achievement. So, fights must be avoided at all costs.

2. If planning to scare a wolf away from a deer carcass with a flare or torch, I will make sure to light the flare/torch BEFORE approaching the wolf.

3. If chased by a wolf, I must not run into tricky territory, lest something unexpected happens. If there is no shelter close by, rather waste a flare to get rid of the pursuer.

Arrrrgh... hope I will not do some other foolish thing... :oops:

Day 1: I start at Mytery Lake again, this time spawning at 7:40 AM somewhere near the edge of the map (rocky cliffs next to me). Apart from that, I have no idea where I am. It is windy, some -29°C, no time to lose. I soon stumble upon Unnamed Pond and manage to snatch a hatchet from the hunter's blind (3 wolves patrolling the area), already freezing. Cut across to the Forestry Lookout, looting the two tiny cabins behind Unnamed Pond on the way. In the lookout, I find the rifle, which I cannot use for the first 25 days, and another hatchet. Frozen down to 69%, so I rest for two hours to warm up again.

Running down from the lookout, I take a shortcut backwards right to frozen creek and cut across to Camp Office from there. Get spotted by a sneaky wolf, but manage to get into camp office without trouble, chasing a deer into another wolf in the process. I jump right into bed for another two hours to warm up again, then loot the place, getting the lantern and a magnifying glass. Peeking outside, I get chased back in by a) a wolf and b) terrible weather (snow, storm, bitter cold). Back to bed for another hour.

It is now 4 PM and a blizzard is howling outside. I make a dash for the derailment, knowing there are no wolves around in this weather, and come back with the knife, prybar and some minor goodies. On returning, I forage for some wood, get a fire going and produce 4 litres of potable water. Then it's dinner and off to bed.

Day 2: Getting up at 9.30 AM, it is snowing outside, with low temperatures (-19°C). Still, I take a look around and am lucky - a wolf has the courtesy to chase a deer across the lake and bring it down right at my doorstep. Back inside for another hour of rest. Now the wolf has feasted and I can harvest the remains - 3.1 kg of venison, 4 leather and 2 guts. Frozen down to about 70%, I make it back to Camp Office, drop the meat, eat a little and rest for 2 hours to warm up again.

At 3.30 PM I venture back out to forage for some wood. Dropping this inside, I mean to take a look for the deer that I saw being chased the first day, but a wolf spots me and chases me back inside. Back to bed for another hour.

When I peek outside again, it is already 6.30 PM. Still, I go searching for the deer. Unable to find it, I head down Lake Trail, checking Dave's Quiet Clearing and searching the Lake Cabins. I end up there with night falling and sleep in one of the cabins...

Day 3: At 8.30 AM, gusts of wind are whipping across the lake at -30°C. No, thank you! Back to bed for another 2 hours. At 10.30 AM it's snowing quietly at -16°C. Time to go.

The lake seems clear of wolves, so I loot the fishing huts. Approaching the hut nearest to Camp Office, I see the standard wolf No. 1 patrolling the ice near my beloved base. Aha, I think, that wolf is still quite a way off, so I can approach the fishing hut, no problem. So I run towards the hut. Suddenly, a deer steps out from right behind the hut! My heart skips a beat, I did not expect that! Neither did the deer apparently, which takes off in panic... and... do I need to tell the rest?

I will, anyway - so the deer takes off towards Camp Office, and I just stand around like an idiot, watching. Too late do I realize that the cursed deer has veered around and is running back towards me, with guess-who right on its heels? Mr. wolf. I am too slow trying to get out of the way, the wolf takes down the deer and then comes for me. I try to run and light a flare, but the wolf gets me from behind before I get anything going. We fight and the wolf runs off, howling in pain.

Goodbye Pacifist!

Run No. 3 ends in dismay...

Day 3: At 8.30 AM, gusts of wind are whipping across the lake at -30°C. No, thank you! Back to bed for another 2 hours. At 10.30 AM it's snowing quietly at -16°C. Time to go.

The lake seems clear of wolves, so I loot the fishing huts. Approaching the hut nearest to Camp Office, I see the standard wolf No. 1 patrolling the ice near my beloved base. Aha, I think, that wolf is still quite a way off, so I can approach the fishing hut, no problem. So I run towards the hut. Suddenly, a deer steps out from right behind the hut! My heart skips a beat, I did not expect that! Neither did the deer apparently, which takes off in panic... and... do I need to tell the rest?

I will, anyway - so the deer takes off towards Camp Office, and I just stand around like an idiot, watching. Too late do I realize that the cursed deer has veered around and is running back towards me, with guess-who right on its heels? Mr. wolf. I am too slow trying to get out of the way, the wolf takes down the deer and then comes for me. I try to run and light a flare, but the wolf gets me from behind before I get anything going. We fight and the wolf runs off, howling in pain.

Goodbye Pacifist!

Hmm...sorry,but I wonder,why don`t you use drop decoy in situation,when wolf is after you.Drop decoy works excelent in those situations.

I just wanted to suggest the same thing lol. Decoys can save your behind reliably. If a wolf is after you it takes a very long distance until he lets go of you, I had yesterday a wolf following me the whole way from the Dam to Derailment. Only when I dropped a decoy he finally lost interest.

We fight and the wolf runs off, howling in pain.

Goodbye Pacifist!

Why would you say goodbye Pacifist? You didn't kill the wolf, if it ran away, and if it dies later, I don't think that counts. I suffered a wolf attack during my Pacifist run, managed to stab the wolf and it ran away, I continued the run, and got the achievement at 25 days.

Hmm...sorry,but I wonder,why don`t you use drop decoy in situation,when wolf is after you.Drop decoy works excelent in those situations.

Good point. Does the decoy still work when the wolf is very close? I did not have any decoy with me at the time. I usually leave all food at home when going on short scavenging excursions, as I am somehow hoping to emanate less smell and attract less wolf attention that way. But maybe I should consider taking some beef jerky along... hmmm...

I just wanted to suggest the same thing lol. Decoys can save your behind reliably. If a wolf is after you it takes a very long distance until he lets go of you, I had yesterday a wolf following me the whole way from the Dam to Derailment. Only when I dropped a decoy he finally lost interest.

You must have nerves of steel running towards the Derailment to shake off a wolf. You might pick up three more instead...

We fight and the wolf runs off, howling in pain.

Goodbye Pacifist!

Why would you say goodbye Pacifist? You didn't kill the wolf, if it ran away, and if it dies later, I don't think that counts. I suffered a wolf attack during my Pacifist run, managed to stab the wolf and it ran away, I continued the run, and got the achievement at 25 days.

Really? That is interesting information. I think I read somewhere that stabbing a wolf will prevent you from getting the achievement, but that might be wrong. I personally wouldn't know, as you can only get the achievement once... and I obviously haven't got it yet.

I made my Pacifist achievement in V. 183 and got it although I had to hand-fight a wolf (which later on died of blood loss). Not sure if it still works, but at least in V. 183 acts of self-defense didn't disqualify you for the achievement.

If I were you, I would probably give it a try (or kindly ask a dev). ;)

You must have nerves of steel running towards the Derailment to shake off a wolf. You might pick up three more instead...

I was already on my way there, it was the last unexplored area in ML. Though honestly I thought he will let go of me after the curve, only when I realized that he wouldn't and I already could see 2 of the 3 Derailment wolves I dropped the decoy. Was an interesting experience and something new I've learned, never saw a wolf follow me that long.

Archived