Pacifist run II

Hotzn

Day 1: I start at Mystery Lake, spawning near frozen creek. It's 5.20 AM and -15°C. Luckily, clear weather and no wind. I cut across to Camp Office, pick up the lantern, a sewing kit and a magnifying glass among other smaller things and take another look outside: wind has picked up, it is now -24°C. Back inside to start a fire in the stove with a book (feel slightly bad about it) and feed it with 4 reclaimed wood to produce 4 litres of potable water. It is now 9 AM, outside we have wind and -21°C. I stay inside and harvest the second bedroll for 10 cloth. Now it is -19°C outside and the wind has ceased. Time to go...

I venture out onto the lake, pick up some Cat't Tail plants, loot the cabins and two of the fishing huts (other two are patrolled by wolves), manage to harvest 2 leather from a deer carcass ia very dangerous location (three wolves patrol there - almost middle of the lake) and return via Lake Trail, checking Dave's Quiet Clearing on the way. I now jave the hatchet & knife. I have frozen down to about 80%, so drop off some stuff at Camp Office and rest for 2 hours to warm up and lower fatigue.

The sun is going down, but I peek outside to maybe forage some more. But a wolf spots me, so I slip back in and call it a day. Repair some clothes and go to sleep.

Day 2: Getting up at 9.30 AM, I am back at 100%. Dog food for breakfast (yuk!). The weather is clear, temperature -15°C, but rising, so I'm on my way. Try to loot the remaining two fishing huts, but only make one of them. 3 patroling wolves prevent me from getting to the other one or the deer carcass (which still has 2 leather and 2 guts waiting for me). Go back to Camp Office and rest for an hour to warm up again.

Return outside at 12.30 PM, only to see a wolf bring down a deer on the lake, pretty close to Camp Office. I go back inside to rest for another hour and allow the wolf to feast on the deer. Peeking outside, I get spotted by another wolf and chased back inside. Back to bed for another hour. At last, I manage to get to the deer carcass and damn, wolves eat fast - only 2.5 kg of venison left for me. However, I harvest that and 4 leather and 2 guts without trouble and make it back to base. Drop the venison, return to the lake and even manage to harvest the remaining 2 leather and 2 guts from the other deer... and the last fishing hut! Get spotted by a wolf and have to retreat to Lone Lake Cabin. Rest for an hour and return to Camp Office.

Spend the evening cooking venison and producing 5 litres of potable and some more dirty water (miscalculated burning time). Anyway, made it through another day...

Day 3: At 9 AM, a blizzard is howling outside with -41°C. Back to bed for another hour. Still windy and -30°C. Back to bed for another hour. -16°C and no wind. That's OK. Taking a quick look around, I spot a deer carcass near the rails, the spot is fairly safe. I can harvest everything (3.2 kg of venison, 4 leather, 2 guts) without trouble and bring it back to base. Frozen down to some 75%, so I rest for an hour to warm up again. Drop the venison so as not to attract too many wolves and venture back outside. However, there are no more carcasses nearby, so I spend the rest of the day inside, crafting deerskin boots, cooking venison and producing more potable water. Then it's off to bed.

Day 4: At 8 AM it is -15°C outside, so I take a look around. I gingerly watch a deer walking around on the lake, as it is obvious it is going to come across a wolf in a minute. I watch pursuit and takedown, then slip back inside Camp Office for an hour of sleep. When I come back out, the wolf has feasted and left the rest to me. It bears 4.2 kg of venison as well as leather and guts. I freeze down to 64% in the process and can't return to base straight away, since there is another wolf lurking around there. I wait for it to move on and slip back in at 56%. The rest of the day is spent crafting the deerskin boots. And voilà - new boots!

It is only 7 PM, but a blizzard has started outside, and since my condition is only 56%, I go to bed...

Day 5: Taking a peek outside at 7.20 AM, it is -16°C (note: I always mention the "feels like" temperature, which is of course a little higher that the actual temperature and depends on my clothing). I take a look around, but no deer carcasses in the vicinity, so it's back to bed for another hour to warm up again. Getting out again around 9 AM and -13°C. I cross the rails and look through the gap on the other side a little to the right into the valley behind, seeing an interesting encounter between a wolf, a deer and a rabbit. The wolf seems to be going for the deer first, then sways around towards the rabbit, which starts running at incredible speed towards me, the wolf close behind it. I run for cover, since I do not want the wolf to switch targets again and go for me! I get away just in time and go back inside Camp Office for one hour of rest... I want to collect that rabbit pelt! However, coming back an hour later, wolf and rabbit have disappeared. Did the wolf eat the whole thing?

I venture onto the lake and chase a deer into the wolf nearest to base. I then make an experiment, take out the bedroll and sleep for one hour at the side of the lake. I wake up to find the wolf still eating. Scare it away with a flare (I know, a little wasteful - I was interested in how much venison was left at this point (it was 1.8 kg)) and harvest the deer. Return to Camp Office around 3.30 PM, starving and freezing, but still in good condition (96%). Drop the venison and look around a little more, but wolves are keeping me from getting anywhere, so I forage some wood and return to Camp Office. The rest of the day is spent cooking venison and doing some harvesting inside. Aaaand... bedtime.

Day 6: Get up at 7:15 AM, eat and drink plenty. Food is running low (2 venison and 15 catstalk left), so I either need to find some deer carcass now or forage further - maybe go to the Trapper's Homestead? In case I do, I pick up some emergency equipment - a bit of firewood, too. Outside it's -27°C, so back inside and rest for another hour. At 9 AM it is 16°C, time to go. I move over to the rails and find a deer carcass with 2.8 kg of venison left. The spot is dangerous, but I see a wolf wandering in the other direction and harvest the venison. A blizzard has picked up and I am already freezing, so I go back inside and drop the venison. Resting a little to warm up, I am back outside around 12 AM. Get spotted by a wolf and have to retreat inside, dang! Rest another hour. Stepping back outside around 1 PM, the weather is sunny and mild (-4°C). Great!

I venture... a wolf spots me from quite a distance, why? I have no meat on me and am not wounded. Hrrrrrgnnn... I run onto the lake and for the lake cabins on the other side. Suddenly, a deer comes running my way... wait... why is it coming towards me? Ah yes, because it is being chased by another wolf, of course. The wolf takes it down, but immediately sees that a meal far juicier is trapped right between its fangs and another fellow wolf. I dart sideways with two wolves in hot pursuit... this is not my lucky day, but I am travelling light - only 16 kg of stuff - so I will make it unless I am really, really, really unlucky and... and... heavy wind picks up and starts blowing in my face. I have the sensation that I am running much slower all of a sudden, the barking and growling is getting louder! I reach for a flare, but it is too late... the wolves are upon me, both at the same time! Gaaaaaaaahhhh!

I fade into the long dark... hhhhhhhhhrrrrgnngggghh!!!!! :x

Seriously, this can't be happening! Haha, I am having a great time - stalker mode without using the gun, that is my new favourite! Need to be quicker with the flares. And I wonder why that one wolf went for me over so much distance... maybe it smelt me. Is there any way to determine which way the wind is blowing if it is not blowing too strongly?

Och, still can't believe the wolves got me again! Hrrrrgnnn... :D

The flares are working really well in V. 200 (it feels like an 80% chance scare away wolves), so maybe you might want to use a flare or torch as soon as you are pursued by the first wolf. If you haven't keybound the flare yet, you should consider doing so, it's extremely useful and saves you some seconds. :)

I personally consider fleeing into unknown/unsecure areas to be much more dangerous than even hand-fighting a wolf in a secure area without other wolves nearby.^^

Good luck for your next attempt!

Archived