Your suggestions for new kinds of wildlife/plants!

Scyzara

Moose and Owl's

Owl would add a new aspect of hunting because as soon as you would hear it you would try to look up to shoot it and could try to track it by its sounds.

How about a rats in the house or maybe a basement or a dam, I mean we already ate a dog food so a rat should not be that big of a deal.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Moose and Owl's

Owl would add a new aspect of hunting because as soon as you would hear it you would try to look up to shoot it and could try to track it by its sounds.

How about a rats in the house or maybe a basement or a dam, I mean we already ate a dog food so a rat should not be that big of a deal.

You don't hear owls as they fly, they are silent. And they rarely hoot when you are close enough to shoot them. They are Smart AND Stealthy!

Moose and Owl's

You don't hear owls as they fly, they are silent. And they rarely hoot when you are close enough to shoot them. They are Smart AND Stealthy!

When I was young I once "met" an owl in the night. It was sitting on a fencepole, I only saw it because it had snowed and the snow reflected the moonlight. We looked at each other for a while. Then the owl spread its wings and took off. It was magical, there was no noise whatsoever, no flapping sound or anything you would expect, it flew off in total silence. Owls are majestic birds, and nobody should ever shoot one, not even in a game...

Moose and Owl's

Yayyy - I second this! Set up a trap in the basement of the Farmstead in PV, catch and eat rats! They should introduce a morale bar before that, and eating a rat should give you a morale hit...

Moose and Owl's

Yayyy - I second this! Set up a trap in the basement of the Farmstead in PV, catch and eat rats! They should introduce a morale bar before that, and eating a rat should give you a morale hit...

Mice are tiny. Rats has a bit more to them. We could probably snare a rat. Mouse might be to small. Dev could add mousetrap to the game. We could then harvest a bit of peanut butter and/or crackers for bait ;)

However, if we had a rock and a few rats in soup pot... we might have the beginnings of meal :P

I dont think I'd want to eat an Owl... I understand that they may do so in parts of Asia but it would not be my go to bird. Part of my brain wants to lump Owls and various raptors into the same category as Carrion Eaters. AKA not a good idea for human consumption

Owls do not regularly eat carrion as far as I know. They eat a lot of small mammals though, so parasites could be an issue.. anyway that's what cooking is for.

Still, I'd have to be pretty dang hungry before trying to eat an owl--as mentioned above by others, they're quite an amazing animal and I have a lot of respect for them. In-game, the caloric payoff would never be worth spending a bullet.

Owls do not regularly eat carrion as far as I know. They eat a lot of small mammals though, so parasites could be an issue.. anyway that's what cooking is for.

Still, I'd have to be pretty dang hungry before trying to eat an owl--as mentioned above by others, they're quite an amazing animal and I have a lot of respect for them. In-game, the caloric payoff would never be worth spending a bullet.

To be honest nobody is telling anyone to do anything. Owl makes sense, it adds a new level to hunting as you would most likely have to search for it after hearing the hooting sound it makes. Anyways it is about having an option, it is better to have one even if you're not going to shoot it. Also the devs may add something to owl's that players may want to get, for example use it's feathers to stuff a pillow or decorate your hat.

some are tiny, some are fair-sized. Two large owls that we're likely to encounter, the great-horned owl and great grey owl, are listed as weighing 0.9 - 2.5 kg and 0.7 - 1.7 kg respectively.

I'd much sooner see grouse added for bird eats.. This is a realistic thing to hunt, since they're out most often during the day, and I remember reading about a method to to 'trap' them-- I have no idea if it works, but this was the jist:

Making and Setting

- make a cone out of paper (or birch bark) that would fit over a grouse's head

- add a line of something sticky (pine spruce of fir resin/pitch?) to inside edge of the cone

- stick the cone down into the snow, pointy end down so that the fat end of the cone is flush with the snow

- drop some seeds into the cone (and may spread some on the snow around the trap?)

Function

The grouse comes along, sees the seed on ground, eats seed, sticks head down into cone to get the seed in the cone-- resin sticks to the feathers of the bird, fixing the black cone onto the grouse's head. Bird now thinks it's night time, sits down to sleep, and waits for you to come get it. Lol.

Maybe sounds a bit far-fetched, but covering a birds head is a well established means of keeping captive birds calm.

all this talk of birds... aside from cleaver traps. The problem with hunting birds or water fowl, is that we lack the tools to truly hunt them. The rifle just wont work. And While I think that the devs may eventual have a Shotgun as a weapon, it bring into question of what kind of ammo will be available for it. Slugs, triple aught buckshot, or bird-shot. Caus' anything other than bird-shot risks either foulign the meat or outright destroying it. Likewise bird-shot wont drop a deer or wolf.... although it would likely cause the later to run for it

Yeah Owls, adding them will gave this already great game even more woodland ambiance. Just hearing them at night would be amazing!!

Owls already exist in game. you just have to walk around outside for long enough.

I was thinking maybe some bracket fungus could be found in houses and on log piles, that can be eaten.

Perhaps some small birds could be seen (such as house sparrows or pine siskins which both can be present in northern canada during winter) that cluster around the trees and scatter when approached.

During peaceful times (no blizzard) there should be birdsong in forested areas. A dawn chorus when the sun rises would be nice too

I've suggested additional bird songs as well. House sparrows are not typical of remote areas in Canada-- they are an introduced European species and generally found only in towns. We do have a few in Fort St James, but I've never seen them out in the woods. I guess they would be plausible in the CH town though, if they could make it that specific. :)

Pine siskens are a great suggestion... they've often emptied my feeders, and I've seen them everywhere from valley bottoms to mountain tops. Another good one would be Redpolls--though they sound similar to siskens anyway.

My suggestion was for chickadees-- probably the most commonly heard bird call throughout the area. (though there could be black-capped, boreal, mountain, or chestnut-backed chickadees; in order of commonness)

Semi-random trivia for the day--Morning bird choruses are usually a breeding season occurrence (e.g mid-spring to summer): Male birds take advantage of the usually calm morning conditions to advertise and stake their territories. I do whole-heartedly agree that additional bird songs during calm times would be a great addition (Bias disclosure: you may have guessed by now that I am a bit of a bird nerd--for profession, and for fun ;) ).

I've never had much luck using them as tinder.. though perhaps when we 'forage' for tinder bundles they could be something we are looking for.

As far as pine nuts go, in the North the pines and other conifers do not have seeds large enough for consumption. Since we're not sure where the game takes place, there could be whitebark pine (which occurs as far north as approximately central BC), which does have large edible seeds. BUT, it typically grows in alpine areas and the game does not yet have any actual alpine areas (yet! fingers crossed)

Archived