Your suggestions for new kinds of wildlife/plants!

Scyzara

There is also cinnamon (dark brown bear)

Cinnamon usually refers to reddish coloured black bears. There are a number of different colour phases for black bears (including white-- known as spirit or kermode bears in the north coast area of BC), and grizzly bears as well (e.g blonde)

here's a link showing wild turkey range: Turkey Range. Though I know they come into southern Canada in some areas at least.

Marten would be common, mink would be around too as you mentioned; but I'm not convinced they would add much to the game. However, I would really love to see wolverine, lynx and cougar added.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are lots of great ideas here. However, moose behave nothing like deer. Deer are shy and run away from people. Moose often attack on sight and are deadly. As a person who has spent time around both moose and bears, I am way more wary of moose, so if moose were to joint the game they would have to be dangerous and have lots of meat.

Has tinder (mushroom) been mentioned? It's the hard mushroom that growns on birch trees. Dried and nitrated (with urine :D) trama burns "like tinder", an excellent natural fire starter.

I don't know if it grows in Canada, or if it can be harvested in winter though. But I suspect the answer to both is yes.

There are lots of great ideas here. However, moose behave nothing like deer. Deer are shy and run away from people. Moose often attack on sight and are deadly. As a person who has spent time around both moose and bears, I am way more wary of moose, so if moose were to joint the game they would have to be dangerous and have lots of meat.

Moose can be dangerous, but you make it sound as if they attack more often than not, which is not true. They generally act aggressively in 2 situations:

1. Cow with calf. Momma moose is not to be trifled with. I have been charged by a cow moose when we startled her, didn't see the calf until afterwards (when I was up a tree). If the calf can easily escape, there's usually no problem--but if you come between them....

2. Bull moose during rutting season. They're extremely grumpy at this time of year and quite unpredictable.

Still, 99% of moose you encounter in the wild are going to run the other way. It is certainly sensible to be more wary of moose than bears (especially at certain times of year), simply because there are so many more of them out there than there are bears.

That being said, I have no problem with increasing the chances of encountering a dangerous moose for gameplay reasons... and since they specifically state they are not attempting to model realistic wildlife behavior.

Tinder fungus do exist here I believe-- I've heard of them, but never sought them out.

Spiders could be present in deeper caves where the temperature stays relatively stable. I don't like spiders either :)

Expanding the wildlife and the systems around them would be great, but lets not get too crazy, were not reinventing theHunter.

I would like to see Moose. It would be nice if, as suggested above, that they are rarer, have a larger meat and hide content, but can be aggressive under certain situations. They would still be preyed upon by wolves who would not go for rabbits anymore due to Lynx.

Perhaps Lynx would spawn with rabbit areas and would eat the rabbits in your snares making snaring rabbits less effective unless you trap them. This could then require some form of Conibear Trap that would need to be crafted from scrap metal and reclaimed wood. Perhaps they could be so reclusive that they run before you get into effective rifle range making trapping them a requirement.

Lynx fur could them be made into pants! It seems silly that I'm walking around with a good coat, boots, and gloves but getting frostbite where the sun shouldn't shine.

Archived