Your suggestions for new kinds of wildlife/plants!

Scyzara

As many people seem to favor a greater variety of wildlife, I just wanted to ask the community which animals (or plants/fungi/whatever^^) they would like to be included most. :)

My personal wish list is (in order of importance) :

1. either racoon or mink (catchable with rabbit traps, pelt can be used to craft a fur cap)

2. moose (behaves like a deer, but more scarce and gives more meat)

3. blueberries (I guess the current rose hip model could be modified for this quite easily by changing the color of the fruits)

Maybe the devs will get some helpful feedback which wildlife/plants are most important to the community if everyone writes down his/her 3-4 favorites. ;)

(I'm sorry if a similar topic has been discussed before - I just found numerous posts of people saying they want more different wildlife but only few suggestions which animals or plants in detail).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blueberries (or bilberries as we have here) are gone by the time the snow falls. Cranberries are more likely to be found in winter as they survive frost nicely and actually are supposed to taste better after frost. Not sure about that as I've never bothered to go to the bog after snowfall, so all I've picked were before any frost. However, they get buried in snow as they grow on the ground level, so it would be hard to know where to look.

@Tarja: Thank you for your explanation about blueberries/cranberries! :)

I guess in this case it might be the best to follow harobed's suggestion to simply make rose hips edible. (Should be much less work for the devs as well).

And I love the idea to find pine cones!

Not sure which kind of conifers you have in northern Canada (I guess mainly different kinds of fir, spruce and cedar?), but at least some of them might be pines. I guess someone from Canada can say more about that. ;)

BIRCH TREES

bark can be made into containers, or used to insulate or waterproof shelters and clothing

outer bark can also be used to make fires, containing oils that burn fiercely even when soaked in water

the tips of branches can be eaten

the sap is also edible

the wood is also very good for burning

Source: http://www.ediblewildfood.com/blog/2013 ... od-part-2/

Some Wild Edibles that Winter Photosynthesize There are wild edibles that one can forage for in winter.

Although this is not an inclusive list, here are some winter edible plants:

Garlic mustard (Alliaria petiolata )(no surprises considering how invasive and hardy it is)

Wild strawberries (Fragaria vesca)

Hawkweed (Hieracium)

Clovers (Trifolium pratense or Trifolium pretens) (red and white)

Various mustards (Brassicas)

Teasel (Dipsacus fullonum)

See more at: http://www.ediblewildfood.com/blog/2013 ... OWymp.dpuf

I'd like to see pine needle tea. Its a good source of vitamin C and its supposed to wake you up like coffee.

As for wildlife, I want to see two. The Canadian Lynx and Mountain Lions, both native to the Yukon. They would be a nice change up from the wolves.

Some good suggestions :) here's my take on them..

Racoons are not found very far north, so unlikely to be a good addition http://linnet.geog.ubc.ca/efauna/Atlas/Atlas.aspx?sciname=Procyon%20lotor&ilifeform=32

Mink would work. But Marten would also be a good substitute. I'm not certain a snare would work for them however. Perhaps a more appropriate trap could be found in one of the cabins in ML?

agreed with TarjaS about blueberries (there are a bunch of Vaccinium species in BC, including blueberries, bilberries, huckleberries, etc). Highbush cranberries (Viburnum edule) would likely still be found above the snow.

Moose would be good fun. I agree that males and females should be present (for deer too).

Birch is a good idea too. Birch would be a good real hardwood substitute for fir firewood, since Douglas-fir is generally found the southern half of BC; paper birch is found throughout and even further north into Yukon. One issue is that birch has a distinctive appearance (white bark) that is not currently found in-game. It does have a lot of other helpful uses though!

Whitebark pine has big edible seeds, but it typically grows in alpine areas, and generally in southern parts of BC, which is not where the game is set.

Canada goose migrate south when it gets cold.

Lynx are never (ever) a danger to people. edit: but snowshoe hare is their main prey, so it would be really fun to see a chase :D

Cougars could be interesting :)

All those plants listed would be dead by the time winter came along. edit: or if not dead, then buried under snow making it not worth the energy to dig for them

Pine needle tea is a good idea. I think it would work with spruce also.

You guys really come up with wonderful ideas, I'd love to see some of them added to the game!

@toebar: I didn't know there are Cougars in Northern BC! :) Always thought they needed a temperate or tropical climate, otherwise I would have included them to my wish list for sure! ^^

Replacing some of the "lonesome" wolves (in ML and PV you can find plenty of them, e.g. in the valleys around trapper's homestead) with cougars would really be great. As cougars are solitary it would also make sense not to find more than one cougar per x km².

• 4 weeks later...

Wolverines- yes, especially in the mountains and/or away from people. These would be a cool addition to the game--so long as they're not made common like wolves! :) I can picture them ferociously guarding a dear carcass...

Range in BC

Badgers are pretty much southern interior only in BC. They are in other provinces also, but never very far north.

Range in BC

How about Mountain Goats their range and spawn points can be around those ankle breaking ridges and rocks... so getting to them can be a chore. Killing them could get you a Goat Hide, which could be crafted into Shaggy Mountain goat pants.... Likewise you could harvest the Goat hide into leather and wool... the wool could be used as tinder or some other craftiness.

As for plants....

Lets have more edibles like Crowberries and Cloudberries

I like the mountain goat suggestion. Especially because I'd like to see an even more mountainous map!

Agree about most berries being under snow. Highbush cranberries (Viburnum edule) could be potentially be found above the snow, much the way rosehips are now.

This just sparked a fun idea for a location. Hot spring :) there would still be snow, but maybe less..

e.g. Liard River Hot Springs

canada-liard-springs_71333_600x450.jpg

A hot spring would be amazing... just imagine you're freezing in a blizzard, stumble across the spring and escape the biting cold by taking a relaxing bath... :D

Highbush cranberries (Viburnum edule) could be potentially be found above the snow, much the way rosehips are now.

The presumably easiest solution would be to make rose hips edible. :)

Animals:

1. Skunks

2. Porcupines

3. Beaver

4. Big Horn Sheep

5. Bison?

6. Pronghorn

7. Owl

8. Sealion

9. Seals

10. Caribou

11. Puffin

Plants:

1. Pine Sap to use an accelerant

Here is a linkie for Plants in Canada. I think the big issue is would the avatar/player know anything about these? I think pine sap/lighter/fat wood is a given. It is evident the player knows that certain mushrooms are ok to eat. How far does that extend? http://northernbushcraft.com/guide.php? ... &region=ab

The common red fox could be interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_fox

It could range far and wide and steal rabbits out of your snares if you don't harvest them quickly enough. Would exhibit more "scavenger" like behavior than wolves. Wouldn't ever attack the player, but might be drawn to fresh kills where it would "stand off" a distance and wait for the player to leave the corpse and then run in for a meal.

Animals:

1. Skunks

2. Porcupines

3. Beaver

4. Big Horn Sheep

5. Bison?

6. Pronghorn

7. Owl

8. Sealion

9. Seals

10. Caribou

11. Puffin

Plants:

Here is a linkie for Plants in Canada. I think the big issue is would the avatar/player know anything about these? I think pine sap/lighter/fat wood is a given. It is evident the player knows that certain mushrooms are ok to eat. How far does that extend? http://northernbushcraft.com/guide.php? ... &region=ab

I like most of these :)

Ones that don't fit - the ranges of bison and salmon do not typically overlap, same for pronghorn.

Pine is not currently in game (though it should be imo)-- we have cedar and douglas-fir available.. Nonetheless, I like the suggestion, though I would tweak it to be subalpine fir resin-- it's more easily extracted from blisters on the bark of the trees-- mix with grass/lichen/needles and instant firestarter.

Pretty decent video showing this (balsam fir is nearly identical to subalpine fir, just on the other side of the Rocky Mountains)--

Plants:

Pine is not currently in game (though it should be imo)-- we have cedar and douglas-fir available.. Nonetheless, I like the suggestion, though I would tweak it to be subalpine fir resin-- it's more easily extracted from blisters on the bark of the trees-- mix with grass/lichen/needles and instant firestarter.

Pretty decent video showing this (balsam fir is nearly identical to subalpine fir, just on the other side of the Rocky Mountains)--

There are all sorts of sap nodules, fungus and the like that can be used for tinder and accelerants. I think if a new player wants to stack the deck in their favor for lighting a fire, the option should be available.

Fire Building Tool Rant On

The other BIG thing the devs need to add is a Fire Bundle. This is basically a material that burns very slowly, allowing you to take a flame from place to place without using a match. Some kinds of fungus do this, as well as the material from termite mounds. You can make one with current materials by wrapping a cat tail tightly with gut. You might be able to do this with cloth (to hold the ember) and leather (to hold it tight). It should be able to hold the ember for anywhere from 8 hours to a day. Also, the ability to make char cloth would be another big boon and again, the materials already exist in the game.

Fire Building Tool Rant Off

Archived