Hello new members!

Ryan CM

Hi everyone...

I downloaded the trial on Xbox One the first day it was available. Being a fan of shows like Survivorman, etc. I liked the description of the game and decided to give it a try. Hinterland got me as soon as I saw the stylized graphics and spent 10 minutes in the game. The hour of game time in trial mode went by quickly and with zero hesitation I opted to buy it. I had never heard of this game before so big kudos to Xbox for bringing this Preview option to production and exposing me to something I wouldn't have found otherwise.

Since buying it I've had MANY plays and every one is different. Overall, the game is fair. It rewards good decisions I make and punishes the dumb ones. Many times taking my life in the process. Early on I decided I would do everything on my own (no internet maps, play guides, etc.) because I felt I'd be short-changing the effort spent by the team on this game if I tool the easy path. I'd also be short-changing myself because I'd miss out on the process of discovery and trial/error enabled by this game. Thanks to this approach, when I achieved my longest survival of 5 days, 59 minutes, the sense of achievement was simply awesome.

So, long story short, count me as a fan. I've been playing video games for a 30+ years and this is without a doubt in the all-time top 3 for me. I can't wait to watch this game progress and see what all you have in store for us.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello.

The Long Dark has a strange sway over me. I'm not sure why. The last game that did that was the Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and before that... it's not very often I have this feeling toward a game. :)

I'm happy to be here. I wish I had known about this during it's kickstarter phase since I would have certainly backed it.

One thing......

I don't think I can pin point one thing, when there are so many great things in this game.

The randomness every game play, the weather is so unpredictable, wolves.....oh how I love to hate those wolves, the great graphics and music.....not the mention the sound effects (Everytime a dog barks outside, I get all worried it's a wolf in the game), curing, foraging, building, repairing, sprained ankles to food poisoning.......

You all did such an awesome job on every aspect of this game, it tough to pick just one.

Hello, all! I just discovered this wonderful game (on the Xbox One) and I was instantly hooked. The minimalist style is refreshing and brings a real sense of isolation. I am happy with my first go, having discovered the Pleasant Valley map and surviving 11 days before getting mauled by a bear lol. I can't wait to try again!

I'd like to convey my thanks to Hinterland Studios and the team that brought this game to life! I am excited to see what you have in store for us in the future!

That being said, can someone point me in the direction of a thread where advice and tips are exchanged?

Hello, all! I just discovered this wonderful game (on the Xbox One) and I was instantly hooked. The minimalist style is refreshing and brings a real sense of isolation. I am happy with my first go, having discovered the Pleasant Valley map and surviving 11 days before getting mauled by a bear lol. I can't wait to try again!

I'd like to convey my thanks to Hinterland Studios and the team that brought this game to life! I am excited to see what you have in store for us in the future!

That being said, can someone point me in the direction of a thread where advice and tips are exchanged?

Thanks for the kind words!

We have a forum dedicated to helping players learn how to master the mechanics of the game. There are a ton of topics floating around in there that might be helpful, and we absolutely encourage you to ask questions if you can't find what you're looking for. We have a great community that's always looking for an opportunity to help new players.

Try this: Alpha - How To Play Questions

Hope that helps! Welcome to the forums!

Hello from Finland.

I picked this game from Steam summer sale just for giggles and i have to admit it is really on right track for players who can enjoy sandbox with great ambient and immersion.

Actually in my opinion this game wouldn't need a story mode, players with imagination will make their own stories every time they start the harsh journey through wind and snow. But i do understand the need to tie sandbox together.

PS: This game have some sort of highest credit/merit now as the wife even said "nice looking game".

Hi! I'm an Xbox One gamer who just picked up this game and am really enjoying it so far. It's a steep learning curve but that's one of the things I like.

I have successfully navigated through to all three areas of the game with help from the how to play and FAQ threads. If you ever need help, check there!

Hi! I'm an Xbox One gamer who just picked up this game and am really enjoying it so far. It's a steep learning curve but that's one of the things I like.

I have successfully navigated through to all three areas of the game with help from the how to play and FAQ threads. If you ever need help, check there!

Great, Will do thank you! I stumbled across Pleasant Valley by accident last night after getting lost in a cave!

I saw this game mentioned on E3's XBox One segment. The preview program seemed interesting, and I decided to give this one a go. Wow. That hour flew by. I am blown away with the game's look, the feel, the sounds. I love how you can be in a cabin and a storm goes by and it sounds like it does in real life, having experienced it many times. I love the balancing act of getting fire wood, and keeping on top of clean water and staying healthy. The first ten times didn't go too well, but I'm finally getting the hang of it. Man, what a great game! I am thoroughly addicted! The best game money I have ever spent, I would have to say.

Welcome to the board - always great seeing new people just discovering the game. The devs are pretty impressive in providing new bells, whistles, toys, and functions with each major update as well - so they'll be even more ahead as development continues even further :)

• 2 weeks later...
We would love to hear from you: what is one of your favourite parts of playing The Long Dark?

If I had to say, it's the suspense in any game mode over passenger: Walking around, scanning for distant wolves, keeping an eye out for shelter in blizzards, Bodies to loot for gear, or if it's an animal, food. Plus, moments of shear: Did I just survive that? My case was walking out to a dear corpse, hearing another dear die behind me, and turning to face down a wolf following that. Let's just say, I won. Score one for humanities creation of ballistics.

Hey, Nicky and Seancushing! Glad to see both join us. No need to be shy around us, we're all friends here! Looking forward to hearing more from everyone as you guys get to dig into the game a bit more.

Welcome to the community!

Well my personal favorites are the excellent visuals.

Despite the low fidelity and lack of details the great aesthetic design makes this game one of the most visually outstanding game for me at the moment... also the fact that the trees are actually bent by the wind. That's pretty nice as well. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well my favourite part (i play only in stalker) is when i get caught in a blizzard, get lost without any house, get cover from the wind and stand next to my campfire while making myself a coffee (well when they is some coffee ;) ). Il like the wilderness aspect in this game. The first 20 days or so are pretty easy but i like the part when you have nothing left but nature and you...

My girlfriend showed me this game a while back and I absolutely love it.

Something a review from rock, paper, shotgun really opened my eyes to is the item durability system. I love it. I don't think any players of any other game can say that.

In most games, you make a new thing, then it slowly degrades until you no longer have the thing and have to make another new thing. If you get far in the game, that becomes incredibly tedious. It becomes a chore.

In the long dark? Maybe you find an awesome coat early on, or can't catch a break in finding any tools until you finally find a hatchet way behind schedule. Then you make it yours. Patch it up best you can and use it for everything. I don't know about anyone else, but I like to keep repairing my older tools, even if I find new ones at almost full condition. I usually scrap the new ones for parts.

Other games, you can't get attached to your stuff. Say, Minecraft? Make something awesome and you'll never want to use it, as it has a limited amount of repairs. You guys did item durability right. Good job.

I guess I should actually introduce myself. A kid from Montana, 'murica, who is going to college in a few weeks. I play basses of various sorts. Upright and guitar are pretty much the same to me. I also will probably never play about 4/5 of the games in my steam library. Stupid humble bundle.

Of the 4 sections of an IQ test, I'm better than 92-99% of the world in two, above average (top 70-75%) at working memory, or human RAM I guess, and guess what? Bottom 4% of the world at visual processing speed. One particular test I scored at the bottom 2%

So, basically, nobody blows more than me when it comes to where's waldo, word searches, sniper in Team Fortress 2, and realizing that the thing I'm looking at is actually two wolves that are way too close for comfort.

I also kinda don't mind cooking stuff.

Archived