JOBS: Come work with the Hinterland Team!

Ryan CM

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wish I had the skills for game programming.. I style sites and work with html5, css3, php and stuff, web styling mostly. I would love to take on the forum styling and programing. :D I did the style for Guru3d and the Futuremark forums, back when they had multiple styles. I have also done the Distribber support site and and a few others as well. Let me know if you are looking for someone in that area as I would be very interested.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone need a donut boy? Just joking :lol: only fifteen

I'd love to become a programmer in the future though. Our generation has opened up so many opportunities, rather than working in an office doing paperwork, you can design and help create something special (with minimal paperwork).

Also if anyone's reading this, what is a position in this field that would involve artistic ability? And what would be required of this position, as well as any previous work/degrees required? Any highlights of it?

Anyone need a donut boy? Just joking :lol: only fifteen

I'd love to become a programmer in the future though. Our generation has opened up so many opportunities, rather than working in an office doing paperwork, you can design and help create something special (with minimal paperwork).

Also if anyone's reading this, what is a position in this field that would involve artistic ability? And what would be required of this position, as well as any previous work/degrees required? Any highlights of it?

Start learning now! Get your hands on whatever resources you can. It's good to start early, especially since the field can be very competitive.

There are many positions in gaming companies that require artistic ability. Just as a quick example, there are environment and character artists. Outside of concept design, those two usually use a variety of 3D modeling, sculpting, and texturing programs. There are also animators, UI artists, writers...The list goes on for quite a while. No degrees are required, but if you're serious about breaking into the industry, definitely look into schools that focus on team projects and making connections in your relevant field. I attended the Art Institute of Vancouver where the majority of my teachers were still working full-time in their fields. They were great connections for job opportunities and professional references once I graduated. I emphasize the necessity of a program that offers team projects because programs like that often have you working with a group towards the end of your education to produce a full game -- This is a great thing to have, especially if you go into programming, which can be a little more difficult to "show off" without a project like this.

Hope that gives you a small amount of insight! There's so much more to talk about here, but that seems like a good start =)

It's how I got started with CSS and styling which led to PHP HTML and other studies. I got involved with a few game clan sites years ago and it led to more and more. It's pretty much up to the individual to take it upon themselves to look for the info and learn. I learned CSS3 when it was in it's infancy and even though I really did not know html and php all that well, I was ahead of the curve than most with styling at the time.

The info is out there to learn from and much easier to find these days compared to when I got started and it is pretty easy to find everything you need to home school for for free or close to it. You just have to put in the effort for the most part. Working on forums and fan sites I tended to be part of a team that in most circumstances were learning as they progressed with their sites and whatever product they were using at the time. Getting in on projects is a really good way to learn as most teams you get involved with are all about passing on their knowledge to help build a better team and ultimately a better outcome to the project.

Ultimately, you just have to get out there and find what you need to learn and get involved. Time will take care of the rest..

It's how I got started with CSS and styling which led to PHP HTML and other studies. I got involved with a few game clan sites years ago and it led to more and more. It's pretty much up to the individual to take it upon themselves to look for the info and learn. I learned CSS3 when it was in it's infancy and even though I really did not know html and php all that well, I was ahead of the curve than most with styling at the time.

The info is out there to learn from and much easier to find these days compared to when I got started and it is pretty easy to find everything you need to home school for for free or close to it. You just have to put in the effort for the most part. Working on forums and fan sites I tended to be part of a team that in most circumstances were learning as they progressed with their sites and whatever product they were using at the time. Getting in on projects is a really good way to learn as most teams you get involved with are all about passing on their knowledge to help build a better team and ultimately a better outcome to the project.

Ultimately, you just have to get out there and find what you need to learn and get involved. Time will take care of the rest..

very sim to @JoseyWales though i have experience in web dev / max3d. lazy it might seem to quote a message but hey - its the long dark so saving resources ;)

• 1 month later...

I do music production, though as stated you already have someone working on that. I love the audio in this game but my only complaint is the lack of music. When it does chime in it adds so much atmosphere, but then it goes away in seconds. Music is so important for depth, and although the game is still alpha, I hope to see a more permanent, even situational music score implemented. Something with subtle melodic synth pads and wintery twinkling bells peppered in that all ebb and flow back to a recognizable theme.

PS I just found this game and I love it so much. Stalker is the best!

If it wouldn't be across the "country", I'd apply for that programmer job. Ho well. Gl finding that talent guyz!

EDIT : While wanting to check what technology is used (I'm guessing C/C++), I found that your link in the OP is partly broken.

• 1 month later...
Any openings as a music composer? or is that not feasible at this point?

I think anthing Audio, you be's fighting Dave for it ;-)

Yea man. Do NOT hire anybody else for audio composition. Whoever (Dave?) they got now is very important to the project and cannot be replaced. I have a rich background of study (25+ years) in composition, play several instruments, proaudio adept, and studied several genres of music. Trust me, whoever they got now needs to stay.

Any openings as a music composer? or is that not feasible at this point?

I think anthing Audio, you be's fighting Dave for it ;-)

Yea man. Do NOT hire anybody else for audio composition. Whoever (Dave?) they got now is very important to the project and cannot be replaced. I have a rich background of study (25+ years) in composition, play several instruments, proaudio adept, and studied several genres of music. Trust me, whoever they got now needs to stay.

It's actually the combined skills and efforts of Dave Chan and Glenn Jamison. They are absolutely masters of their craft!

Archived