The Bookshelf (AKA Reading Rainbow)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved The Road. Lot of other good Cormac Mcarthy books Blood Meridian, Outer Dark, No Country for Old Men - all worth reading

Paul Bowles is great, check out his short story The Delicate Prey, among others.

The Southern Reach Trilogy, The Library at Mt. Char, The Windup Bird Chronicles - are all really good kind of weird fiction more than gritty survival though.

Lately I've been reading a lot of Bernard Cornwell books, BBC just made a series 'the Last Kingdom' out of a bunch of them. Really good medieval battles in the books.

I can recommend this book for those looking for a survival story with a fair few twists (there's a lighthouse in the story too). It is also part one of The Southern Reach trilogy.

My review of the book - Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer - can be found here: http://hexdimension.com/2014/09/review-annihilation-jeff-vandermeer/

From the back cover - 

"Welcome to Area X. An Edenic wilderness, an environmental disaster zone, a mystery for thirty years.

For thirty years, Area X, monitored by the secret agency known as the Southern Reach, has remained mysterious and remote behind its intangible border– an environmental disaster zone, though to all appearances an abundant wilderness. Eleven expeditions have been sent in to investigate; even for those that have made it out alive, there have been terrible consequences.

‘Annihilation’ is the story of the twelfth expedition and is told by its nameless biologist. Introverted but highly intelligent, the biologist brings her own secrets with her. She is accompanied by a psychologist, an anthropologist and a surveyor, their stated mission: to chart the land, take samples and expand the Southern Reach’s understanding of Area X.

But they soon find out that they are being manipulated by forces both strange and all too familiar. An unmapped tunnel is not as it first appears. An inexplicable moaning calls in the distance at dusk. And while each member of the expedition has surrendered to the authority of the Southern Reach, the power of Area X is far more difficult to resist.

Anni.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, cekivi said:

@alone sniper: If you enjoyed White Fang I'd recommend Call of the Wild. It's another Jack London book and it has similar themes to White Fang. If you want the full Long Dark experience you can read Jack London's short story "To Build a Fire" :winky:

Jack London has several titles that would fit in here, i think. Great writer ... the "Call of the Wild" is one of my favorite books ... 

• 2 months later...

Not a book, but this is a poem I found mentioned in Amy Liptrot's The Outrun, her memoir of newfound sobriety and her rediscovery of nature on the Orkney Islands. It's called "The Horses," and it's about humanity's return to primitive ways after some kind of apocalypse. Of course, the first thing it reminded me of was The Long Dark, so I wanted to share it.

The first few lines:

Barely a twelvemonth after
The seven days war that put the world to sleep,
Late in the evening the strange horses came.
By then we had made our covenant with silence,
But in the first few days it was so still
We listened to our breathing and were afraid.
[...]

Here's a link to the full poem along with an audio recording. I hope you like it!

Archived