My first steps into Coastal Highway Map

Denyo

Well...after my first serious survival run,when I died from a wolf outside of Dam(that game lasts 34 survival days),I started my next game.I started at Mystery Lake map,as always.I pretty much checked wholle map,emptied all looting locations and at the end I went to say hello to my devil friend Fluffy in Dam. :) He probably knew,that it is me,coz he let me loot wholle floor and he awaited me in basement.He jumped on me right away when I stick my nose arround the corner. :) This time he was pretty weak,I dunno,maybe he waited for me too long and was dehidrated and starved.Coz he didn"t give much resistance and I killed him with knife in first attempt.He also gave me only 3,4kg meat(ussuall he gives from 4,5-5kg meat),so,yeah...probably he was weaken.

Anyway,when I dealed with him,I went check wholle Dam and then decided to start operation moving stuff from Camp Office to Dam.I conquered Dam on my 31st day of survival.As I had 20+ kg of meat,I took slowly moving,with no rush.I moved all my stuff in 4 days.

Ok,that was done,then...now what? I was in dilema,or to enjoy some days and just hunt,eat,drink and sleep or finaly go check that Coastal Highway area.I did go hunting once and killed wolf,who was eating deer,so I got double meat resources.I cooked it all and then I felt kinda boring.Just eating and sleeping,and doing nothing? Nope,that"s not my style.So,on my 38th day I finaly made a decision and prepaired myself for a trip to CH area.I must say I was full of excitement,but also doubts,fear and worries.But,if I want to survive,I knew I will have to do that step,sooner or later.So,waiting would only delay necessary step forward.

First barrier was that damn bridge.I went only once trough Devine and I felt down from bridge,as I walked too far on that broken rail and suddenly solid floor just dissapear below my feet.Of course,there was no help for me and that time I decided not to enter CH map,before I clear wholle ML area.Ok,I didn"t find a bunker,but I wasn"t searching particulary for it,anyway. Ok,so...this time I was very careful with my steps and slowly I made it across that bridge.What a relief!! :) I moved forward,slowly,looking arround to unknown area,observing its beauty and also for wolves.Luckly,there were no wolves,till end of railroad,when I reached Train downloading area.I checked that Trail there and went to sleep.After I woke up,I had to make a real plan,what to do.

Coz,now yet real challenge for me started in this game.I was in completely new area,I never saw any map of CH,I had no idea,where I am,where I"m going.I wasn"t searching for any map,either.Here I must rely only on myself,on my discoveries and experience.So,I had to start realy intensive and logical thinking.And,most of all...NO RUSH! Every step has to be well planed,and I try to plan for various situations and events ahead.First I went to check out area and landscape arround Trailer.I saw I am in high mountains,and-logical-if I want to get to coastal area,it means I must go downhills.I found soon a path..or it was the road,covered with snow,I dunno.I started slowly to walk down,watching every step,checking all sides,my ears were like antenas...and I felt real intension,as I expected unexpected every single step forward.Again,luckly,there was still no wolves and I manage to reach the coast.It took me one wholle day to come down,so the record day 40 was about to be reachable.I came down to the road and across road was Log Sort area.I checked that one and then I decided to just go accross lake,as I read in forums,that on lake there is Jackrabbit"s Island and Misanthorpe Homestead.At start I was moving relaxing,walking toward first hill I saw on lake and enjoying in beautyfull wiew of sorroundings in this beautyfull sunny day.But,soon my relaxing was over,as I noticed quite alot of wolves moving over the lake in all sides.Dang,I thought they all will get me sorrounded and that I will fall into a trap. :-/ I still continue walking with cautions,keeping an eye on wolves movement.And then....BAM!! Suddenly,without warning,beautyfull sunny weather was changing into heavy fog and wind.It scared me to death and first thing,I was thinking about was:" Omg,I will die here,on the lake!" :( I stoped and took a deep breath,then I started to run in direction,where I assumed one fo those two homesteads are and I mostly rely on my intuition.I said to myself:"I won"t giveup,I will fight till my last atom of strenght! And que sera,sera!Whatever will be,will be!".Moments,whille I was running arround in total fog unvisibility,were long as eternity.I dunno,for how long I was running like that,expecting to run on a wolf teeth,but suddenly,like courtain would be taken up,a hill conture appeared infront of me.With hoping it is not an hill without house,I started climbing up.Now,you can imagine what kind a relief was,when song,same as when you approach Trapper"s Homestead,started to play and soon after that I saw on screen"Jackrabbit´s Island" !! :D I thanked to God and to my intuition,as well I was so thankfull,that I was moving so slowly earlyer,observing sorroundings,so I could get at least approximate map in my head,where is what placed. :)

Now it is running my 41st day of survival and I decided to rest abit and calm down,then I will make plans for further moves.I think I will first go to Log Sort and get the stuff from there to Jackrabbit`s Island,as this will be my base in CH map.After that I will check out Misantrope Homestead and I plan then to move my stuff from Hydro Dam to CH.I will see.I hope,my lucky star will keep following me and Fortuna will be on my side. :)

I made it to day 50,easyer as I thought.And,I didn"t just sleep and eat to get that achievement for day 50 fast. :-p I had much activity every day,like hunting,cooking meat,making reserve of water...I visited only two locations and 7 fishing huts on lake.I think one fishing hut left.Just...now is problem,coz I dunno,where thin ice is. :-/ It would be sad,if I would fall in and drown coz of tin ice,when this game is going on so well for me atm.But,I guess,this is a part of the game. :) Anyway,from my experiences in real life,it is normal and obviously,that ice is tinner,more wider lake is opening.So,I won"t come near that right side area,from Jackrabbits,after Misenthrope island.If I am wrong,then...then I will fall in,lol.I will rant abit,but I will learn from that,too.:-) I also follow deers and wolves,so,where they can walk,I can,too. :)

I know,why players are getting bored after surviving 150+ days.I think,the reason is,that many players want to discover all looting places as soon as possible and after they discover everything,there is not much to do,but only living day by day,eating and hunting as main actions.I know I have so much to do and discover at CH.I have strong feeling,that now,when I got to day 50 and CH area,real game for me is about to start yet.I think,150 surviving days I will achieve without a single moment of boredom.If I won"t die till then,of course. :D

Today,as I"m approaching my 60th day of survival,I learned some new things.First of all...matches. :( Now I am so mad at myself as I collected all matches I found.Atm I have over 120 matches and some of them are realy seriously decaying.Dang,I will lose half of them,I"m sure.I should leave some untouched,as I noticed,that item,you don"t pick up,does not start decay process.Coz of lose of matches,it may happen that I will die sooner,as I expect(if wolves don"t kill me before),coz of dehidration. :-p

Next thing,I learned today...I found in this game 25 rifle ammunition already and now I have them only 7 left.I should do more silent kills on volwes,not just shooting them.Coz they also still can sometimes run away,if I don"t shoot them right.I think my character gathered some experience fighting with wolves,coz now I can easyly kill them or make them run and still have 75% or more condition,so I could survive two attacks one after another.From now on I will mostly go with knife on them and save ammunition for real needed situations.True,I still didn"t explore much of CH and I can still find ammunition,but still...better to save them as much I can.This is again one lesson for my next game.

The thing,which bothers me in game much,is,that wolves and deers run too far away,if I only wound them. :-/ I can lose wholle day chaseing wolf and also deer and many times I gave up,coz they went realy too far.Today I shoot a wolf,who caught deer,near that Log Sort.He run then towards Misantrope.I harvested deer and then ran after wolf.When I got near him,he was already walking,but still bleeding.When he saw me,he started to run again,probably coz I wear wolf coat.Dang,altough seriously wounded,he ran almost till end of lake,towards right side of Misanthrope.I ran after him again,but soon I lost him from my sight.They realy run too far,and this is only thing I don"t like in this game. :( I can lose 600 calories and 0,60 litres of water for nothing,chaseing wounded animal.That means one bullet lost.

The moral of the story is - don't chase them. Follow them, but make sure you stay far enough away to not trigger their flight impulse. They die a lot quicker that way.

Also, it really helps (if you can) if you line yourself up such that when the animal runs away, it runs in a direction that makes it easier to follow without re-spooking it.

I can lose 600 calories and 0,60 litres of water for nothing,chaseing wounded animal.That means one bullet

lost.

And the morality of your story is: practice shooting :D

This game is ment as learning by failing (or dying). It's actually quite easy to shot a wolf devouring a deer, get to the side of it, wait until he raises his head to swallow a big lump of meat and when he takes his head down (after that there are some seconds where his head stays down), peng, headshot ;) I hit 9 of 10 times, the one I miss is usually when another wolf is nearby and I'm in a hurry, not waiting until he raised it's head.

I can lose 600 calories and 0,60 litres of water for nothing,chaseing wounded animal.That means one bullet

lost.

And the morality of your story is: practice shooting :D

This game is ment as learning by failing (or dying). It's actually quite easy to shot a wolf devouring a deer, get to the side of it, wait until he raises his head to swallow a big lump of meat and when he takes his head down (after that there are some seconds where his head stays down), peng, headshot ;) I hit 9 of 10 times, the one I miss is usually when another wolf is nearby and I'm in a hurry, not waiting until he raised it's head.

Thanx for advice. :) Now...there is another thing,but,don"t laugh at me. :) Or I"m at ML or CH map,I still have problems,how to kill a deer. :( If I shoot deer from distance,I miss.If I try to get closer,deer run.If I try sneak to her,she senses me and also run.Since I started playing TLD,I could only once kill deer right away and three times I wounded her,so she died away.That"s why I try avoid huting deers and rather let wolves kill them for me,so I can then easyly take it from them.I feel somehow embarasing,but I realy dunno,how to do right to kill a deer. :oops:

That"s why I try avoid huting deers and rather let wolves kill them for me,so I can then easyly take it from

them.I feel somehow embarasing,but I realy dunno,how to do right to kill a deer. :oops:

and that's imo the correct way to do it. A deer without a dead wolf or a wolf without a dead deer is a wasted bullet in my book ;)

Dang! I just died soooo noob way.:-/ I went on ice hut to cook meat and wolf was arround.I moved backward and started to run backward and side,keeping my eye on that wolf.He stopped suddenly and growling,altough I was far away from him.In next moment I knew something is wrong.As I turned,I saw second wolf running on me.I survived his attacka nd then first wolf attacked me and left me with 3% condition.I put on bandage and antiseptic and start moving towards Jackrabbit"s.I managed to climb up there and was just about to say I survived imposible,when wolf got me just infront of doors. :-/

I didn"t reach 60 days.My new record is 57 days 10 hrs and 6 min.Next one I will start at CH area and then go to ML.I prefer that region more,anyway.Or not,hmmm...soon will be next update and new map,which is reachable from CH.Hmmm....no,I better start at ML again.

Ok,this is end of my story,then. :) It didn"t last epic long,but was at least interesting one and I learned alot of new things.I hope at least somebody enjoyed reading this story. :) Maybe more of them will come in future,if there will be epic run.I still don"t feel ready for Stalker mode,but soon I will be prepaired for that one,too.

Thanx for reading my story and for all tips and help.

I got nailed by a tag team of wolves recently in a CH build. I was doing pretty good but got stuck in a blizzard without my sleeping bag (STUPID!) and had to limp home exhausted. Fought one off but the other one got me. I don't think there's any safe place on the entire CH map. I've even been ambushed at the log sort at the very top of the map. Every place has at least two or three wolves patrolling at various times. The best bet I've found is a house that sometimes spawns just outside of Wolf and Pups service station, up on the road. Nobody seems to patrol there, and there's a few escape exits. But it's nowhere near as nice a place to hunker down as trapper's cabin. I was at the cabin for well over 200 days and could have remained longer but I got bored.

Archived