What is the 1 thing you enjoy most about The Long Dark?

Ryan CM

To put it as simply as possibly - Make every second count. I don't care that I don't have any way to see in the dark and that I'm trapped in a house and can't get out until the sun comes up. If I'm not tired I will repair my clothes or harvest cloth from worthless clothes. I will sort though my inventory and try to plan out my next move. I purposely plan on having something to do when its pitch black and I can't see anything. I do have those times where I feel like I'm wasting time while I am waiting for a storm to pass, but that just encourages me to be more efficient when I have good weather.... which usually leads me to making stupid mistakes and getting myself killed.... lol

Playing it alone in complete darkness so i can see nothing besides my TV screen.

And exploring regions for the first time or re-exploring them in bad weather conditions, the risk of getting lost, the risk of thinking you know where you are but then you end up somewhere completely different.

The risk of permadeath and the graphics.

Kind of impossible to keep it down to only one thing though, atleast for me.

• 3 weeks later...

The Long Dark is an excellent survival simulation. The ability to play in "Pilgrim" mode is perhaps the most thought out variation in any survival sim I have ever played. Most other sims give you no choice in battling zombies, mutants or other worldly denizens. Having the opportunity to just survive against nature in a butal environment is an excellent idea, one I have looked for, for many years. The folks at Hinterland have made this right.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the added dimension of aggressive, starving wildlife. Just in reality, most wildlife really has no desire to interact with humans.

Not having a save option, may be one of my favorite parts of the game. When you do something stupid, try something a bit beyond your abilities., you either get seriously hurt or fade into "The Long Dark". This ultimately gives you a chance to reflect on how difficult it is to survive in the wilds of Canada, in the winter.

Great job, Hinterland! Keep evolving!

I love the feeling of the unknown in this game. I try to plan out my week, collect fire word one day, collect food the next etc. It doesn't always end up that way because there might be a pack of wolves outside my cabin or I am really tired half way through the day and need to sleep. I didn't realize this game would make me think so much about my survival, it's great! How many calories do I have, can I sleep this long, how much food is there, did I loot this cabin, how much time on the fire do I have for cooking. The amount of things I can do while needing to stay feed and hydrated is wonderful. This is my new favorite game for sure and I look forward playing it everyday when I get off work because I am always thinking of stuff I can do or needs to be done.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...