What is the 1 thing you enjoy most about The Long Dark?

Ryan CM

• 2 weeks later...

The stories told by what's left behind.

((So much care has been put into things most developers deem unimportant, it actually tells it's own story with no need for words. The broken pictures scattered, the crumbling roads, the signs that people fled and many if not most didn't make it. All of it can be seen in the set pieces and the care put into them.))

The unforgiving, challenging realism.

In a few more words:

I hope Hinterland never dumbs down this game to make it "easier" for people who ask for that.

The only changes I'd like are ones that add more realism/realistic challenge.

This game is one of a kind. Absolutely astounding.

Playing on "Voyageur," as difficult as it is for me, I love it.

As often as I get food poisoning and hypothermia ...and die, I love it.

• 2 weeks later...

No overhead map, no mini-map. Forces you to take note of your surroundings, look for landmarks and try to remember how to navigate. First thing I tried to do was find the best route between the lake cabin office and the trapper's cabin which took a while. Been playing for 6 days and drew my own map of mystery lake on a legal pad on my coffee table. Using the railroad as a reference point I incorrectly assumed it was running in a general east-west direction. I avoided looking online for maps until today and found one showing it was north-south. No more spoilers!!

I wouldn't mind to see a compass as a potential item you can find in game to show general direction. Or maybe there is? :-)

For me, knowing that there is a house with a fridge chock full of cooked steaks and a freezer with 20L of water. Cupboards full of canned dog food!!....as a final resort :P

Yes, exploring the unknown parts of the game/map, and returning to which ever section you have made "home" to the familiar, stocking up the various containers, preparing for the next trek into the unknown~

Hello survivors!

I have had a short break but now I am back. Wow, what an amazing update/s and this new map is fantastic. Well done Devs. I don't buy many games but I threw my money at Steam for this.

To the topic - now my most enjoyable thing with The Long Dark has got to be the diversity between maps especially between Timberwolf Mountain and the rest. I have died more times than ever playing in the new map and I love it. The difference not just in gameplay (an unprepared game in this region had me prioritising warmth big time over the other stats) but also the land itself and how it is STILL a maze to me! Oh and the size of the new map! cracking stuff, more like this please!

It is good to be back. Over here in England it's our winter season (mild but still a wee bit cold, should be colder) so I am able to come in from walking the dog, make a coffee, warm up, stick this game on and be freezing cold and hot at the same time as starving yet full up on "insert food/drink"!!!

Love the new rope-play, love the moutaineers hut and the fact that it isn't "instanced", love that some fishing huts have doors (perhaps the fishing holes could be slightly thawed by the trapped temperature? -maybe a lot of coding for what it is though), love the cave temp being influenced by the ouside temp.... too many things to list!

Hope you all had a good christmas and new year :) I'm off of Timberwolf Mountain

I think one of my favorite things is... the clothes. Well, I like a lot of things about this game but, always looking for a new upgrade that is going to be better than the last and keep me warmer is exciting to me.

Unfortunately, it seems that list is really short and it isn't long before you get the best of the best, but I have high hopes that the list will expand greatly with time.

I wouldn't mind to see a compass as a potential item you can find in game to show general direction. Or maybe there is? :-)
I assume the geomagnetic disaster that put the story in motion would scrag all compasses, as it was powerful enough to take out the power grid. Compasses rely on having a reasonably stable magnetic North.
  • Upvote 1

The atmosphere! The corresponding thing is the approach for the developing. When the developers are good people and they approach to their project with real feelings - the game will be good. Bravo Hinterland! Long live TLD!

It's been said many times by others, but my favourite part of TLD comes from the sound effects:

- Waking up in the morning and immediately feeling apprehensive when I hear a gale blowing outside, or relieved if it's quiet.

- Little touches, like crows taking off nearby and cawing as they pass overhead.

- Short intervals of music that are completely appropriate to a specific time and place, and can immediately change the tone.

- Little bits of audio feedback from my character.

- Other than the above, the silence is also worth a mention. Silence, when deployed with appropriate timing, can be much more powerful than any sound. The vast majority of games overdo it when it comes to sound, but TLD must have some staff with very good musical ears.