What is the 1 thing you enjoy most about The Long Dark?

Ryan CM

I think it can only be summed up by my first experience on Timberwolf Mountain, going exploring after setting up shop in the Mountaineers hut and having to essentially hibernate in the closest caves until I could find my way back after getting caught out in a storm and realizing how very, very lost I was. The sense of accomplishment really caught on when I was camped out in my second cave, sleeping, keeping the fire going and occasionally running out into the storm just for sticks and hopefully food. It felt like I was just going through one night when in fact I was in the cave for two in game days and had gotten by on tea and water (I did make it back, that save is still going actually :D) It makes the title of the game more significant to me, knowing that some days it really is a very long dark.

On 6/8/2015 at 0:38 AM, Rylandish said:

in response to the discussion about the sound effects, I agree that they're nice. And these Chan and Jamison guys may be good at what they do, but they are some sneaky, evil bastards.

I swear they mixed the wolf growl & howl sound effects into the wind noise, just to make me look over my shoulder in fear every 5 seconds.

I thought i was the only one. I didn't know if I was going mad, i'm actually hearing wolves or it is the wind. 

• Upvote 1

The atmosphere makes this game. The sense of doom at every corner makes every action you make important, if you are on day 50 and it has cost you so much to survive, you find yourself in the game, you are there, you are that character, and for example you think: i need the bear bedroll, you find yourself truly anxious because you know one mistake will kill you, forever. 

Edited by CarolinaSantAngelo

to have to bunker down in a cave or cabin through the night of a roaring blizzard, only to wake and step outside in the early morning hours and see a wonderful vibrant sunrise and softly falling crisp snow. A true delight. No other game makes me feel so wonderfully lost in a frozen beautiful wild. :)

• Upvote 2

These moments where I survive very narrowly but make a full recovery. Getting chased by wolves and sprinting down the mountainside in CH, hiking back to base after getting mauled by a bear and recovering from 2% condition... in these moments, I crack open a cold one and silently applaud my character for braving another day.

That and the fact that this game somehow makes me grateful for the things I have IRL. Guess I'm a bit pampered, but I wouldn't survive a day out there :D

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few people have said this - it's about making your own story.

I haven't played much lately as have been on business trips, but went back into my 114 day game last night.  Currently mooching around Coastal Highway, pretty comfortable, but had to avoid a bear on the lake and got back to the Waterfront Cottages without trouble.  Dropped some kit off, went outside to go to the other cottage where I've stored some provisions and I hear a growl...there's a wolf blocking my path.  Run back inside to save the game.

Now, I had to go to bed IRL (it was late!) so now I'm sat here thinking - shall I shoot the wolf, using up one of my precious bullets?  Shall I fight him with my axe, but risk serious injury?  Shall I run away?  Shall I try and rest overnight and see if he's gone in the morning? 

I have to wait until I've got the kids to bed tonight before I try again.  It's like waiting for the next episode of a box set!

In addition to what others have said about getting to make your own nervewracking, white knuckled story – nostalgia plays a huge part of what I enjoy about this game. I grew up near the Rocky Mountains, and spent many winters skiing, snowshoeing, and hiking through them. Every sigh of air through the trees, the creak of snow underfoot, the crunch of ice, the sight of deer just through the clearing, the slow kaleidoscope of palettes that cycle through day and night, the battering of powerful winds, and the sense of relief that floods through when you finally reach shelter, exhausted and ravenous, reminds me strongly of one of my favorite parts of my childhood. 

And layered atop of that, is the overarching sense you're an intruder to a world that isn't and never will be yours. I never felt this so keenly, as when I chose to traverse Pleasant Valley in the middle of the night, wrapped warmly in animal skins, and assured by the rare break in storms it would be a prudent move. 

Everything glowed. It was the same green of the Northern Lights, but none were to be seen. It turned the familiar alien, and made me feel even more of an outsider to this strange, beautiful, hostile land.

Edited by Shenanigaming

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The feeling of having my life in my hands.

It's been long since I quit FPS games where you hide in a corner for few seconds to heal, or use a potion to heal. And this game adds so much to that, it's not just being good at crafting, at gathering, or shooting, but timing your limits, making the right choices even when no choice is given (like tell tale you know walking dead).

Playing risky and feel the level design.

also at the "beginning" (which means like 30hours) learning the mechanics is extremelly satisfying, different than other games. The audio section is also incredible.

Edited by togg

• 2 weeks later...