Winter Survival Course

Just got back from teaching one of my winter survival classes in Northern Minnesota, wasn't as cold as last year, bottomed out at -20º F (-29ºC)

Thought you guys might like a few pics.

Student Shelters (Some better than others)

53FJjGO.jpg

5z5SB57.jpg

s34WinQ.jpg

Mv4XAOg.jpg

7XNxJFR.jpg

dCOFWiX.jpg

9Der3wg.jpg

My Digs:

GgdC2yU.jpg

Random:

GnEDNQQ.jpg

59U9dSF.jpg

siVjEQr.jpg

i1eurKx.jpg

nVC1nWx.jpg

GJbcH74.jpg

Very cool. Which of the student shelters do you feel is best?

Probably this one (Though they did need some help):

There were 4 people in the shelter. There was little dead air space, and the roof was reinforced to take the 6 inches of snow we were anticipating (adding more insulation)

53FJjGO.jpg

e6nB17v.png

The roof could have been lowered a but to keep in more heat, but it was very sturdy, and efficient.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
PuG":1c11tq8k]Very good video on how to survive the cold winter, -25c finnish soldier does not use yet winter jacket! :D

Other guy is not wearing his winter coat or pants either.

Of course even without those he lists:

Snow suit. Camo jacket. Light jacket. Polo. First Tshirt. 2nd Tshirt.

Layers really add up.

You wear 15 pairs of socks you can skip wearing boots!

I hear northern parts of Finland routinely get -40C to -50C during winter nights. I am sure their military gear and amount of layers is to survive those temps or a bit worse. So when it's +25 warmer than what the gear can handle, you actually risk overheating if you put on everything.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/01/2016 at 6:03 AM, akodo1 said:

I hear northern parts of Finland routinely get -40C to -50C during winter nights. I am sure their military gear and amount of layers is to survive those temps or a bit worse. So when it's +25 warmer than what the gear can handle, you actually risk overheating if you put on everything.

It is not only the military in Finland, that needs less clothes than other folks. They run around in sandals when I take the additional warmth soles out of my winter boots. Babies sleep outside easily at -30°C. Also, the sauna tradition trains the blood system to switch super fast, and super efficiently between warm and cold. Watch them go from +80°C or higher in the sauna jump into the ice-hole. I jump too, and then feel like a speed-frozen icicle trying to not drown with the shock :D

Not saying you are wrong, but growing up in those climates does change the warmth system of the body, I am pretty sure.

Archived