fire: matches only?

perfecto

is there another way to light a fire other than using matches?

i know i only need fire to cook and cook/melt water and i can go sleep to warm up, but i find i am running out of matches pretty fast... But the real question is: am i going far enough to survive?

You can also head to Coastal Highway if you are running low on matches. I had to migrate there after about day 30 because I only found about 30 matches in the entire Mystery Lake map. I had 100+ after a few days of looting on Coastal Highway.

Does anyone know if the Magnifying Glass spawns anywhere other than the Trapper's Homestead, or if the Fire Striker spawns anywhere (or in anything) besides the Camp Office?

I'm fairly certain I've found the glass in the firetower before. And I know I've found a firestriker in the locker at the homestead. Oh and the bunker too. Bunker usually has dozens upon dozens of matches too.

Curiosity: Are you lighting fires every time you stop? I've always found I never run out of matches, and have abundant stores of them in all my camps.

Curiosity: Are you lighting fires every time you stop? I've always found I never run out of matches, and have abundant stores of them in all my camps.

Same thing here, but if the OP is running out of matches they should try to find the fire striker. I'm pretty sure you can repair it ad-nauseum with scrap metal and simple tools.

I have found the fire striker in both the camp office and the trapper's homestead. It is not repairable (unless this has changed as it was several versions ago since I found one).

I have so far found the looking glass only at trapper's homestead and I've never heard of anybody finding it at a different place.

Tips to make your matches last:

* Make sure that you make the most out of each match. When you make a fire do as much cooking and melting as possible.

* Don't pick up every box of matches you find, but note where they are and come back later when you're running low. Matches degrade and if you pick up too many at once they will start to degrade to 0 before you can use them.

I usually have one fire a day, but occasionally if I'm bored I light one for the hell of it if I have plenty of matches to spare. My typical day in TLD is to wake around 9, go hunt or scavenge or whatever until mid to late afternoon, then spend the evening with a fire cooking and boiling water.

I am the type to gather around 40 sticks of fir firewood and drop them on the ground at my base though, so most of my fires are 4-8 hours long depending on how much meat I need to cook (I store A LOT of spare potable water too, usually around 20 L).

...(I store A LOT of spare potable water too, usually around 20 L).

A lot he says...

water.png

That's 250+ liters. I had a bunch of matches that would have degraded if I didn't use them so I used them all up to melt snow and boil water. 38L per fire, after that exhaustion sets in. Normally I keep at least 10L and try to keep 20L+ at my main base and at least 5L at certain key points on each map.

I also have 2 piles of firewood (all fir). The first is my main pile that I use whenever I need it. I try to keep it above 20 pieces. Then I also have a pile of 50 pieces as backup in case I ever need it. When I light a fire I make sure my fatigue is very low and keep it going until I'm almost exhausted. Whatever time I don't need for cooking I use for melting/ boiling.

A lot he says...

water.png

That's 250+ liters. I had a bunch of matches that would have degraded if I didn't use them so I used them all up to melt snow and boil water. 38L per fire, after that exhaustion sets in. Normally I keep at least 10L and try to keep 20L+ at my main base and at least 5L at certain key points on each map.

I also have 2 piles of firewood (all fir). The first is my main pile that I use whenever I need it. I try to keep it above 20 pieces. Then I also have a pile of 50 pieces as backup in case I ever need it. When I light a fire I make sure my fatigue is very low and keep it going until I'm almost exhausted. Whatever time I don't need for cooking I use for melting/ boiling.

:lol: Bravo! The most I've stockpiled at once is probably just about 1/5th of that. Holy crap.

• 2 weeks later...

true, but that would require you to build up a good pile of wood first. You can also continue cooking/ boiling when you get exhausted until your condition gets too low (and that takes a good bit of time). But when I do that, my matches will degrade before I have to use all the matches in a book.

Yeah, probably. In my first couple games I ran low on matches because I built a fire every time I was freezing, but since I started managing my health (as in, letting it get lower if there's no risk) I seem to have more matches than I need. If I continue this game they last few will probably degrade before I use them.

Archived