Spooked Deer and Long Term Encampment

Cosmoline

One thing I've noticed is that the game has some cycles of spawning, but they seem to have no relation to the taking of game. I've been doing the usual hunkering down at the trapper's place and usually wait for the local wolf to take a deer. Rinse and repeat. It's fun, but realistically this sort of thing doesn't just keep happening in the same spot every other day or every third day. In real life prey animals are very sensitive to seeing wolves or humans hunting their fellows. Even squirrel will remember it. So once you OR the wolves have taken a deer, you might want a bar on respawns of deer for a week in that immediate area. This would add some realism and force those of us who are squatting in one spot to get off our duffs just as hunters must in real life and go looking for where the deer aren't spooked. It's not a major change, but if it's not implemented the risk level of the hunkered down scavenging is close to zero. I've just come to know the patterns of the locally spawned wolf too well. He's like my bud now. If I have to go even over a ridge or two to get to game, all of that changes. I have to learn new game patterns and time my hunts to try to avoid stumbling into the furry ones.

Wolves, I would think, would just keep respawning as usual. They're like honey badgers in this game.

mmm, I have mentioned this before, as I've felt that the wolf and deer populations should fluctuate according to predator-prey patterns that cycle every 100 days, so some days you will find barely any deer or wolves, other days you have deer coming out of your ears and their accompaniment of wolves.

Archived