Let us jump please!

jumpfunction

As my name suggests, I joined this forum to ask for one thing: please add the jump function.

Half the time I am hitting spacebar out of habit in order to try and jump over simple snow banks, rocks, debris and railings around chalets but fail.

I somehow fell into a crevice between snow and a destroyed cabin and I couldn't get out. It felt really unrealistic that I couldn't try to jump, climb or dig my way out despite the snow being less than my height.

Without jumping the game simply feels cheap. If you are striving to create a game to demonstrate the basics of survival you should add jumping, a basic control in games showcasing a realistic human experience.

Please add it.

At first it felt odd to not be able to jump but after 40 hours gameplay I don't miss it anymore. In fact I think it would break a lot of game mechanics with the current map layout, you could easily avoid all places where wolves like to hang out by simply jumping over cliffs and ridges. It also adds to the suspense that you actually have to cross the small hill to see what's behind (and how far :D). Not to mention that by jumping on a high platform you could safely camp out all nights.

So unless they also make a complete redo of the maps, I am against jumping.

I don't mind not being able to jump. The only thing I would use it for is to be able to jump up on counters/tables in my base and drop items ON the counter instead of on the floor beside it :P

I did miss it at first, but after 50 hours or play or so I don't even think about it. I've never fallen into a spot I couldn't get out of, although I do make some kind of effort to avoid geometry that looks like I could get stuck.

It seems that that most trivial obstacle (6" snowbank, branch, etc.) can impede your progress forward. :roll:

Is there any specific reason that a "jump" function wasn't included in the game?

I can see that jumping opens up the possibility of glitching and other abuses, as well as making the player model/world interactions more complex (more work for the artists & developers to make sure that you don't stick you head "through" ceilings, etc.), but the lack of it is probably far worse in the overall balance and gameplay.

It need not be an Olympic long-jump capability, but just a simple method to navigate past/over small obstacles.

Wouldn't being able to safely camp out on higher areas be more realistic to survival? also warm air rises so sleeping on the ground in the building would be the coldest thing to do. I would be a fan of being able to climb onto a table in the dam and wait with the rifle for that evil wolf that stalks those shadows in there.. . .that jerk has gotten me more times than I like. I agree that it would make some things "easier" but getting out of the holes would be nice, and the wolves are still super deadly outside, which is where they should be deadly. climbing a tree would be too easy on this game but being able to get away from that wolf in the dam would be a godsend.

It's probably not included because a) it's unnecessary and b) it makes QA more work since players can try to glitch / jump into rocks and get to places they shouldn't be. In that case MORE people would likely end up irreversibly stuck in geometry since they'd be able to get to the complex geometry (tops of rock cliffs and stuff) more easily.

Really, there is no need for a jump, people just want it because they are used to it in other games. Also, I don't know if you've ever jumped with a 30kg backpack on your back, but it is rather difficult. If you do get "stuck" in the geometry somewhere, turn on debug HUD, note the coordinates, and report them to the devs so they can fix that spot.

Agree on the mantle/hurdle. Jumping is something people don't really do IRL unless they have an obstacle to get over. Would be nice if you could clear a 10" log with a wolf after you...with a chance to sprain an ankle of course.

Would be nice too if on a very steep hill you saw your arms come out in front of you to dig in and climb the snow.

Can't have everything though.

Would be nice too if on a very steep hill you saw your arms come out in front of you to dig in and climb the snow.

This I agree with. Being able to see that you have hands adds a lot to the immersion for me. Especially once the Oculus support is added, every little bit counts. Although the animation/art involved would probably be rather expensive for a small detail feature like that.

IMO I don't mind not being able to jump in TDL

How often do you jump over obstacles IRL? I'd make a pretty accurate assumption if I'd say 9/10 time you'd rather climb said hindrance or circumvent it, no?

I can agree that sometimes it gets a bit silly when it seems all you could have done to overcome some obstacles is making a big step... but there's game-mechanics for you.

Archived