Simple Idea for "The Long Dark" - Feedback?

FreightFright

Simple Idea for "The Long Dark" - Feedback?

Playing the game, I have been thinking a lot about the future addition of NPC survivors - specifically due to the fact that they can and will enter buildings. Now, I don't know want to get jumped in the middle of the night by some burly lumberjack with a hatchet, so I thought of a basic way to counteract this from occurring: "sound traps" aka booby traps.

The concept is simple: a piece of string with some empty tin cans. As of right now, empty cans are not in the game, but this could be fixed by adding a Harvest option to canned food and drinks (e.g. sardines, soda, condensed milk, peaches, etc). The string would be substituted with line, which is convenient since it is already a craft-able item. Go to a workbench, combine 3(?) empty cans with line using simple or quality tools and voila: you have yourself a sound trap. The trap could then be deployed just like the bedroll - the outline of the trap would indicate where it will be placed before placement occurs. Just set the sound trap right by your front door before going to bed to avoid getting mauled in the middle of the night by a crazy man. Of course, for this to work we would have to assume that Will Mackenzie is a light sleeper and that the sound trap would awake him when it works.

I know that this is very pre-emptive thinking seeing as how AI survivors aren't even in the game yet, but I just thought it was a reasonable idea. Also, I think that bear traps should be added into the game (my opinion on bears getting added in are still pretty neutral though). The bear trap would be used as yet another self-defence trap in case some nosy survivor decided to trespass on your property. It could be a rare item like the hunting rifle and only have a chance to spawn at Trapper's Homestead, Jackrabbit Island and the Bunker.

On yet another related note, I think the existence of "waste items" would add a little more realism to the game. Why aren't empty cans placed in the inventory when canned food is consumed? Why aren't bones placed in the inventory when meat is consumed? Bones could be used in the crafting of a crude bone knife - maybe just come bones and cloth to create a crude weapon in case the hunting knife can't be found.

I'd love to hear some feedback. I originally posted this on the Steam discussion page but someone suggested I run the idea by you guys too :)

But not all survivors are insane serial killers :)

Maybe add an option to work together with another survivor, might you encounter them, and maybe a single lunatic roaming the map?

As for the waste items, this has been discussed before,

and would be a very welcome addition. Empty food cans could provide low quality scrap metal, for example.

Archived