Ideas for tools

ticklebur

The idea is to let people craft certain tools, like knives and axes from stone.

This brings alot more realism to the game, as it is the way of our predecessors,

who lived like this for many, many years.

Here are my ideas:

A stone knive:

-the blade, which is crafted from a stone (which can be crafted from carefully smashing a rock with another, you could add a failure percentage, and a skill lvl, like lighting fires)

-the handle, which is crafted from wood (trash wood)

A stone axe:

-the head, same idea as the knive blade.

-the handle, which is crafted from a log (because its handle is longer than for knives)

A stone spear:

-again, the head, still same idea.

-the handle, and im thinking about it taking 2 logs to make, due to its purpose as a hunting tool.

Also, my second idea, which is basically a part of the first,

is that if you gather meat/leather/guts from a deer, for example,

the amount you can loot is lower than with a regular hunting knive,

due to it not being so accurately made. (lets be honest, a metal blade is way more precise)

Same with the axe, that gathering wood will give slightly lower materials,

due to not being as accurate as a metal axe.

Let me know what you think,

i think it would be a great addition in terms of realism.

Edit, just thought of something:

If you make the items with bare hands, the quality would be halved, for example,

making it break alot quicker.

You've been playing too much minecraft.....

And you've spent too much time being a jackass, but thats not the point here.

The point is, stone tools have been used a long time before bronze, iron, and metal were around,

so i really don't see why you would be such a dick about my post?

Some people forget that this is a "Wish List" thread, for people to put their ideas for this game and potentially have the developers see, but rather they feel its for them to bash and negate others ideas.

Hey now, I wasn't bashing on him, I was only making a comparison that I found amusing, I'm sorry if that came across negatively. If you are going to go on the immediate defensive, there's not much I can say.

But then again, they say the Christmas season is the most stressful. Whatever floats your boat.

It was obviously a comical post [i.e. referencing how the entire Minecraft game is about creative crafting and making things without needing to worry about whether it fits the scene or not]... Same way as when people suggest building their own cabins and forts, people reference "punching trees" [The Forest]

Your response was a little offensive though...

Yes this is a wishlist area, but please try not to take it as a direct/personal accusation/assault (or start throwing personal insults directly at another user)... People here are allowed to debate and disagree, but abusive insults won't be acceptable board use.

Feel free to respond to comments, add more thoughts, explain things more, or toss in other ideas - we just need to keep the dialogues at least reasonably respectable so all users can post and join in conversations without flame wars later building from misunderstandings.

@Ticklebur - you've got some great posts and comments on the board - I just wanted to avoid misunderstandings which might lead to insult exchanges... As the other poster said, the Minecraft comment wasn't a personal attack

Thanks

The problem I see is that we're supposed to be playing the role of an average Joe/Jane who's stuck in the middle of the wilderness. Very few people know how to craft and use stone tools. It's actually something of an art form. Particularly if you're talking about finding and using flint. To see what I'm referring to, buy a whole chicken or other small animal from the butcher or take a squirrel after your hunt and try to prepare it with stone tools of your own make. It's just going to mash things unless you actually know the secrets of making these paleolithic devices function. Even the most crude looking of the early stone hand axes is actually a well thought out design carefully made through years of experience.

In contrast, high carbon, tempered spring steel with a nice edge will allow even ordinary schmucks like us to make short work of hide and meat. It's still laborious, but entirely doable.

Archived