Doe, a deer, a female deer...

TheIncredibleHibby

I searched doe and deer, but got nothing really suggesting this.

It's rather trivial and nowhere near being a priority, but eventually, maybe adding in some does would be nice...I find it hard to believe that bucks are the only ones around sustaining a constant deer population, unless the geomagnetic event has altered wildlife to the point of asexual reproduction ;)

Also a slight nitpick, but the upside-down antlers on the ravaged deer carcasses put me off every time I see them, as I've never seen any sort of deer whose tines point down like that..it would be nice to see that corrected as well :geek:

Indeed, I have seen a lot of suggestions for other sorts of animals as well. There was actually a really good suggestion to include the Canadian grouse that I particularly like, as it would 1) add even more life to the game and 2) really be interesting to see what all you could do with the resources from any caught birds (since I don't think you can actually kill those blasted crows--has anyone ever tried??). And then there's the bear suggestion, which is apparently going to be implemented from what I've heard around here. I'm excited as heck for that :D

• 2 weeks later...

You explore a cave, hoping to find some secret stash of supplies or a spot to make a fire, but instead get to pet a cute little bear cub. Up until the moment his mother catches you and sends you cursing straight back to new sandbox selection.

• 2 years later...
On 12/21/2014 at 10:12 AM, TheIncredibleHibby said:

It's rather trivial and nowhere near being a priority, but eventually, maybe adding in some does would be nice...

I second this suggestion! Female deer still seem to be missing from this apocalypse. 

there should be a few doe in the mix, how about also having variable antlers for the bucks as well, Also considering that they will be adding wolf pack  behavior to wolves, shouldn't there also be herd behavior for deer as well, spook one deer you spook them all, and watch as they run together

Definitely +1 from my side, I doubt it would be much work for the Devs just to remove the antlers from the current deer model to create some does.

It's not like anything more detailled (skull shape, muscle proportions, etc.) is necessary imo. Simply no antlers would be totally fine for me. ;) 

8 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

Definitely +1 from my side, I doubt it would be much work for the Devs just to remove the antlers from the current deer model to create some does.

It's not like anything more detailled (skull shape, muscle proportions, etc.) is necessary imo. Simply no antlers would be totally fine for me. ;) 

Less meat?

I only knew female reindeer have antlers, but the deer ingame certainly don't look much like reindeer.

Always thought they are white-tailed deer, but my knowledge of Northern American deer species is very limited as I have to admit.

Are there also 'true' deer species in Canada (Cervinae, so not reindeer or the like) where the females have antlers? Oo 

57 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

I only knew female reindeer have antlers, but the deer ingame certainly don't look much like reindeer.

Always thought they are white-tailed deer, but my knowledge of Northern American deer species is very limited as I have to admit.

Are there also 'true' deer species in Canada (Cervinae, so not reindeer or the like) where the females have antlers? Oo 

My bad, there is only one species of deer where the female (doe) also has antlers: caribou. Also known as reindeer in Europe. But caribou are deer or at least the North American variety is ^_^

21 hours ago, cekivi said:

But caribou are deer or at least the North American variety is ^_^

Yeah, that was my bad - my wording didn't make much sense in English, sorry.

In German there's a differentiation between "true deer" (Echte Hirsche, Cervinae, e.g. red deer or fallow deer) and "deception deer" (Trughirsche, Capreolinae, e.g. caribou/reindeer and moose), but in English these terms don't seem to exist. Instead, Cervinae are called "Old world deer" and Capreolinae are "New World deer", although many New World deer indeed live in Eurasia and some Old World deer in the Americas. xD

2 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Yeah, that was my bad - my wording didn't make much sense in English, sorry.

In German there's a differentiation between "true deer" (Echte Hirsche, Cervinae, e.g. red deer or fallow deer) and "deception deer" (Trughirsche, Capreolinae, e.g. caribou/reindeer and moose), but in English these terms don't seem to exist. Instead, Cervinae are called "Old world deer" and Capreolinae are "New World deer", although many New World deer indeed live in Eurasia and some Old World deer in the Americas. xD

Yeah, languages are weird :D

Archived