We Need Your Help!

Raphael van Lierop

• Hinterland

While this is our official community, the majority of our new players are flowing through the Steam community. It can be a pretty interesting place.

We're trying to encourage people to migrate from Steam, to these forums, because this is the heart of our community and we believe this is the best place to nurture the kind of positive, mature community we want to build around The Long Dark, and all our future games at Hinterland.

So, we need your help to recruit people from the Steam forums, and get them in here.

We also would love to see some cross-pollination of the communities -- some of you spending time on Steam as well to help educate people about the game and to maybe "soften" a bit of the discourse, which tends to be a bit more animated (shall we say) than we typically see here.

Steam also has a Reviews system, where players can offer a binary thumbs up/thumbs down rating for the game. Many of the ratings -- good or bad -- are highly useful and carefully thought out. Some feel quite careless and arbitrary. We believe that carefully thought out reviews that articulate clear points can provide the greatest benefit to people visiting the Steam page who might look to the Reviews to help them make their purchasing decision.

So if you have any thoughts about the game -- either positive or negative -- it would be helpful if you would take the time to share it on Steam, in the Reviews.

Here is a link to the Steam Discussion Page for The Long Dark: http://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/

Here's where you can post a Review: http://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/reviews/

To recap:

* This is the heart of the community around The Long Dark, so please help us recruit from Steam into here

* Please help us educate Steam players about the game; many of them are new and coming from more conventional survival games and don't necessarily understand what makes the game special

* If you have time and are so inclined, writing a Steam review can be very helpful for us!

Heartfelt thanks, and on behalf of the entire team at Hinterland.

- Raphael

Certainly a good idea. I have posted a Sticky in the Steam Forums, and if you want to, you can link the conversation to that. I have kept a eye out on the numbers, and we have only had 600 new members here in the Official Forums, in the last 8-10 weeks, and really for a game with so many players, thats dismal . . .

Anywho's, here is the link to the Steam Sticky . . . Steam ~ Hinterland Official Forum Sticky

I will definitely write a review. But in the meantime, I'd like to mention that Steam totally sold me on this game. I found this forum later. If other Steam users are like me, they might buy the game, immediately die, love every tortured moment, and then start trying to look for maps, tips, and beginner's guides---and by doing that, find their way to this forum. One of the best ways to increase traffic to this forum is for players to continually offer advice (or ask questions)--and when this forum pops up in that Steam member's search, they will most definitely make their way here.

I'll write a review as well. Really Enjoying the game. I've spent 3/28 years living out of a backpack in the Pacific Northwest, and this is one of the coolest survival games/scenarios out there at the moment.

Lol, Steam Forums are Interesting to say the least.

Many Thanks and a Awesome New Year Ahead, Everyone!

I just got the game last week. Once I get some more gaming time in, I'll write a review on Steam and post any issues/comments on the game on these forums. I came to these forums hoping to get the latest information on the game. I'm looking forward to some future content. BTW, it was the Steam reviews that helped me choose this game.

You've got my support and 12/10 review :D

Found this little gem while searching around the holiday sales on steam. Feel a little bad paying so little, so gonna gift a few at full price to some friends! This game is amazing, and simply the best thing I've played all year... heh :lol:

And seriously? Name password and language, check email, click save password then bookmark... all of 30 seconds. Damn Steamers can be a whiny bunch :twisted:

I have a review of TLD in Steam, and in fact discovered it there. Very glad I did too! I'll post some ideas and suggestions soon; I haven't been playing long and have only just recently survived past 10 days. Loving the game though, and will definitely encourage other TLDers on Steam to come over to this forum.

Maybe give them a reason to come here? A couple ideas release teasers / screenshots of something your working on and provide the link to the forums here in order to view it. Sure you could click the link and just visit, but exposure here is what matters.

As for the rest of us we can try writing more guides or compiling information about the game here, cross linking between information and guides written on steam with ones we create. There its easier to find what your looking in one place, then diving through steam.

And seriously? Name password and language, check email, click save password then bookmark... all of 30 seconds. Damn Steamers can be a whiny bunch :twisted:

Touché :)

And in this day and age, if you don't have some sort of password manager, you are doing it wrong . . . They like to stay on Steam, so they have a better chance of getting away with no etiquette :geek:

• 2 weeks later...

I love this game and hats off to you all. My wish would that the game would have a hard level in Pilgrim mode. It broke my heart to make my wolf coat. We have three black dogs and live in the country. My rifle is put away now and the game does't have the same feel as when I started. I wouldn't mind being stalked by a cougar or a rouge Grizzly. I wont go into the long discussion about wolfs because I sure you have heard it a million times. However we as Canadians should not further a falsehood about one of our native animals. I know its just a game' I guess I just get into it to much . I do not have the right to tell you how to make your game its just a wish on how I would enjoy it more. Best game ever !!!!!!!!!!!

Archived