The 20 Day Run (Was: 5/10 Day Run) -- Survival Challenge

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Alan Lawrance

Amazing job guys -- I wrote the code for all the game systems, and I have yet to beat your records!

I'm really looking forward to expanding on survival techniques (trapping, hunting, skinning, etc) that will be necessary after all the low-hanging fruit is gone.

• Hinterland

Great work, guys.

It didn't get in for v.04, but I'll do a tuning pass on clothing decay for v.05 to give you guys a bit more of a fighting chance.

I may also need to tune some of the weather behaviours. Haven't had a lot of time to review them in light of the increased day length.

Guest Alan Lawrance

Time to update the thread title to "The Fifteen Day Run"!

clell -- can you let us give us some idea of how you achieved this? Totally fine if you want to keep that private. :)

Something we may do soon is write out the Player Log to a text file on save or death. It will be an important way for us to analyze how the game is being played, so we can improve the experience.

Here is the game I played today. Had rifle shells spawn twice in same spot so had extra five rounds. Had food and water for 2 more days but got food poisoning from cooked venison and no antibiotics.

TLD.thumb.JPG.2cb2ab04218d5a1426a6c1accc

• Hinterland

I've just renamed this thread to "The 20 Day Run" in honour of Clell's impressive accomplishment, making it to 15 days.

(I should have updated it to 15 days after Rob's successful run past 10 days...)

Let's see if anyone can make it to 20 days! (Better try before the .05 update...) 8-)

My main technique is calorie conservation. Sleep unless I have a specific task. Sleep at night, during storms, when foggy. Sleeping burns 80 calories/hour. Moving burns 200 - 400. I use camp office as a main base. Go foraging at mystery lake then back to cabin. light fire for water and warmth. Eat and sleep. Leave extra food ,water and wood in cabin - less weight means less calories burned. Walking seems to burn less but I run most places as fog, storms, and darkness seem to sneak up on you. Spend a few days at trapper cabin using up the wood and food. When down to a reasonable weight head back to camp office. Drop extra gear then off to logging camp. Forage more stuff then overnight in dam. Back to camp office with everything. If you have lots of food then use wood for water. Always use up fire by melting snow. Try to overnight in cabin with wood stove - once you melt snow cabin is warm and you can sleep safely. Search for all corpses, dead deer, wood, and random boxes in snow (There are a few in the middle of nowhere). Be lucky in what loot you get. Use flares when close to wolves (especially when searching containers near wolves). When clothes are under 10% and you have duplicate harvest for cloth. Keep your boots, and warm winter coat repaired. I had 9 successful repairs. If you have cooked meat eat it asap as it seem to have a higher chance of food poisoning than other foods. Use ammo carefully I am up to about 80% success in hunting. Hunt only deer - more meat. Get close and if the deer runs then find another. Watch for a wolf killing a deer - you get 3 pieces of meat. If you give wolves wide berth and run they do not attack. If no ammo - move deer towards a wolf and have the wolf kill it, draw wolf away from kill then light flare and get meat.

Raw meat has more calories and I had a lot of antibiotics so I let my calories go almost to zero just before resting and ate the raw meat until full. Got food poisoning, took antibiotics, slept 12 hours and woke up fine. Saved wood and got more calories. Raph says this will be changed and also you won't be able to sleep if fatigue is zero so it will be hard to go this long after next update.

• 2 weeks later...
If you give wolves wide berth and run they do not attack. If no ammo - move deer towards a wolf and have the wolf kill it, draw wolf away from kill then light flare and get meat.

This is as close to wolf taming as it gets. I have found this to be very helpful. Its also relatively easy to use a flare to scare a wolf into a deer.

Archived