How to use Snares correctly

pobu95

Hii,

I just died after almost two weeks in game. I basically started running out of food. I managed to stretch my time by shooting deer and meanwhile I placed 3 snares (around the Trappers Homestead) However I didn't catch anything in three days. I tried relocating them but didn't work. Eventually i had to go out low on everything and tragically starve to death :')

Anyone any idea on how to use the snares correctly? thanks

When you see an area that has a bunch of rabbits, you want to place snares their. I typically use an area on the other side of the train tracks from the camp office (heading in the direction of the train derailment at the center of the map), not sure if there is one closer to trappers.

Just to make sure everyone understands this correctly: you place the snare, don't drop it. Should be obvious to most but someone who is not well versed in English might misunderstand so I wanted to clarify.

Has the chance of catching something gone up with the updates? In v.154 I had snares not catch anything for several days. And I assume snares can still break, catching nothing? (haven't survived long enough to try setting snares again since the update)

Just to make sure everyone understands this correctly: you place the snare, don't drop it. Should be obvious to most but someone who is not well versed in English might misunderstand so I wanted to clarify.

Has the chance of catching something gone up with the updates? In v.154 I had snares not catch anything for several days. And I assume snares can still break, catching nothing? (haven't survived long enough to try setting snares again since the update)

I'm pretty sure it's the same as before. I only check snares every 24 hours, and not all of them catch rabbits everytime.

[spoil]If you're on the coastal map, there is a place called jackrabbit island. It has a captive audience.[/spoil]

If only the house their had a fireplace. The journey isn't worth the reward.

Wolves can steal the rabbit from the snare? I've put one where I found many rabbits then around 1 day later it was ruined, the area was populated by wolves too.

I f a rabbit is caught it will try to break free. If it succeeds, the snare is broken and the rabbit gone.

[spoil]If you're on the coastal map, there is a place called jackrabbit island. It has a captive audience.[/spoil]

If only the house their had a fireplace. The journey isn't worth the reward.

I've been using this house as a base since the updates. I can get by without a fireplace, I just use the stove in the fishing hut that's on the land side of the island. It's close enough that I can make it back quickly even in the middle of a blizzard. The facts that there are no wolves near this house and it's centrally located are the main reason I stay here.

Trapping is also good here. Just set some traps and whenever you come back from a trip check the snares. Works like a charm.

Archived