Greetings

LordKhan4

Greetings everyone,

I am new at "The Long Dark" and would like to know if any of you could give me some good tips as far as how to play the best game is concerned. As well as some good beginner tips :D Anything that y'all would feel is helpful qould be appreciated. Thanks in advance

As someone who's survived over 50 days, here are some of my tips. I'm sure others will post some too, and may disagree with my tips, so pick and choose what you think works best for how you want to play.

1: Start on Mystery Lake. The map does not have nearly as much loot, but you'll also run into wolves less often in bad locations I find.

2: Only run when you absolutely have too. Running will sometimes get you stuck in a fight with a wolf you didn't spot, or it'll wear you out quicker (tired, hungry, thirsty).

3: Find a nice location to make your home and slowly explore/gather supplies around. Try to only go outside between the hours of 12PM and 8PM for best temperature ratings.

4: Flares are a great hunting tool if you have no rifle. When you see a wolf take down a deer, stand a fair distance away, light a flare and throw it between you and the wolf. If it does not run, slowly walk towards the flare, pick it up and throw it again. If you get the wolf to run, you get some free venison.

5: Softwood is the easiest to start a fire with. Hardwood will burn longer though so use it to keep a fire going once it's already lit.

6: As you get to know the map, start using hills for travel in certain areas (Such as the train derailment) to avoid wolves easier.

7: Store supplies you don't need. If you're going out and know you won't use your hatchet, put it away. The same goes for just about anything. Carry the basic essentials, like a bottle of antiseptic, 2-4 painkillers, 1-2 bandages, and some antibiotics. Having 0.5 - 1 Liter of water, and bit of food (maybe 800 cals worth) is a good idea too. Make sure to have a few matches and tinder too. Some people carry wood, I don't, I forage if I need it.

I'll update this if anything else comes to mind.

When you say:

3: Find a nice location to make your home and slowly explore/gather supplies around. Try to only go outside between the hours of 12PM and 8PM for best temperature ratings.

What exactly do you mean by a nice location to make my home? Is that like a basic shelter somewhere outdoors or would that mean a cabin or something?

Thanks for the tips

When you say:

What exactly do you mean by a nice location to make my home? Is that like a basic shelter somewhere outdoors or would that mean a cabin or something?

Thanks for the tips

Any building you come across that you like. Many have woodstoves or fireplaces which are handy, and storage for your extra loot. After searching cabinets, containers, etc... You can store items in them, they won't disappear. Not sure if you knew that already, my first 2 times playing I had no idea, so figured I'd mention.

Items don't respawn, though animals do after some time (not sure exact time). You'll want to find easy ways of hunting deer, and possibly wolves at the same time to increase the amount of food you get, make sure to collect guts from them to make snares and fishing lines as well. Then you can collect rabbits and fish, not a huge calorie count from them, but still helpful, and now that snares can be re-used, it becomes more beneficial.

As for wolves, You pretty much wanna pray you don't have to fight one until you have a knife, and some thick clothing. You wanna quickly tap left click to increase the power bar, then right click to hit. I've only had one wolf encounter so far, I survived with 26% health, but it got me a second time and I died. The 166 update was done right after apparently making them easier. Can't say for sure at this time how much, I'm avoiding them the best I can, for once they actually worry me lol.

When you press 2 and you see yourself holding it, press and hold left click till it lights. Another tip for lanterns, you can press/hold right click to place it in the world, like on a table. You'll see a representation of it in red or green to indicate if it's ok to place it, then left click to confirm placement. You can also place it when it's lit and use it as a light for a room, fuel will still be used, so limit your use of it.

Flares work the same way, press 1 to take them out, and hold left click to light. They can't be put out though, and right click causes you to throw the flare. You can pick them up again though.

Archived