Big List

s_miracle

12/2 Updated the list a bit.

If anyone has suggestions please post here and I will update it.

Hi there. Love the game, please keep up the great work. Here are the ideas I've gathered. They're just ideas, not mandates or things I'm expecting:

1. User interface and controls:
  2. Ability to cancel most processes - particularly harvesting and sleeping.
  3. Inventory sort buttons rather than drop-down for less clicking.
  4. Unload option for rifle.
  5. A warning if about to die during time lapse due to illness or bleeding, or maybe a frequent "wake-up" when in pain.
  6. Option to examine inventory items and rotate them in 3D.
  7. Remove menu clock, add pocket watch item.
  8. Option to consume most items directly from a container rather than having to put it in your inventory first.
  9. Graphical representations of items in inventory, possibly nothing more than small icons indicating the item type.
  10. Graphical representation of character with worn clothing conditions, injury status for body parts, and maybe health.
  11. Audio or gesture related cues that hint to the player that they are starving/sick/dying without opening menu.
    Items:
  12. A more accurate depiction of the rifle as a Lee Enfield with 10 round clip+1.
  13. Compass. Doesn't need to work due to geomagnetic event, but it serves to reinforce the feeling that things have changed in the game world.
  14. Burnable cash money for tinder. Again, this serves to illustrate that things have changed.
  15. Maple syrup. Very Canadian.
  16. Rare barometer item - indicates when storms may be approaching.
  17. Empty cans that can be harvested for scrap. Gain these after opening canned food.
  18. Potable water that freezes into ice (that is then difficult to melt) if you are freezing.
  19. Salt for cleaning wounds, curing meat, melting ice/snow.
  20. Craftable torches (also placeable).
  21. Candles (placeable but not craftable for now).
  22. Scissors - speeds up clothing harvest.
  23. Zippo lighter.
  24. Alcohol. Can be used as antiseptic, painkiller, fire accelerant, molotov ingredient,
  25. Binoculars.
  26. Energy drinks and coffee that reduce fatigue.
  27. Snowshoes that provide small speed boost in snow.
  28. Glowsticks.
  29. Heat packs.
  30. Blankets.
  31. Thermos / hot water.
  32. Bear traps. Don't step on them.
  33. Deadfall pits. And maybe a way to dig your own. Don't fall in.
  34. Flare gun. Shoot flares at wolves.
  35. Whetstones to improve the condition of items like knife and axe.
  36. Flashlight.
  37. Batteries.
  38. Placeable flags or directional markers.
  39. Tents, when weather permits.
  40. Gas stoves.
  41. Beehives.
  42. Wire traps.
  43. Duct tape for repairing clothing or making temporary fixes of some kind.
  44. Weapon variety ideas - flashbangs, grenades, dynamite, throwable spear, bows, crossbows, c4, claymores, molotov cocktails, slingshot.
    Physics related:
  45. All items placeable and rotatable.
  46. Breakable thin ice patches with a "fall in" animation. I'd think you'd be able to climb out, but you'd be freezing.
  47. Climbable trees/walls that require climbing tools.
  48. Avalanches.
  49. Collapsing snow and falling tree limbs.
  50. Swimming/drowning.
  51. "Slippery" physics when moving on ice.
  52. Sled to carry items.
    Game systems:
  53. A variety of equippable backpacks, ability to drop backpack entirely. This would require a new interface to demarcate which items are being "carried" and which are in the backpack itself.
  54. Character creation with "backstory" options that determine starting skills.
  55. A non-automatic form of mapping. This can be nothing more than placing custom map markers around a blank canvas.
  56. Snowblindness, sunglasses, goggles.
  57. Ability to set lit lantern down, light requirement for activities like repairing.
  58. Locked doors with respective keys.
  59. Choice to smoke meat or cook it (smoked meat could take longer but also last longer).
  60. Free-for-all multiplayer.
  61. Hygeine management and health effects, insects, diseases.
  62. Broken bones.
  63. Gardening in non-winter maps, transportable plants.
  64. Cooking recipes, spices, herbs.
  65. Cannibalism.
  66. Skill/stat tree or more dynamic system of "leveling up" endurance capacity, condition, fire starting skill, cooking, fishing, fitness, etc.
  67. Notes that can be left behind and read by other players.
  68. A brief tutorial mode separate from sandbox and story modes.
    Wildlife related:
  69. Bears.
  70. Clothing damage on wolf attack.
  71. Bird attacks if condition is low.
  72. Bird nests with eggs.
  73. Wolf packs that encircle you at night, but won't attack if holding lit flare or near campfire.
  74. Diseased animals.
  75. More enemies that are bigger and badder but guard valuable items. Fluffy for example.
  76. Hunting dog (no Duckhunt laugh please) or some kind of tame-able animal that you can feed.
  77. Wolf pack AI that forces the player to spin around to face the wolves. This could produce a sort of "frantic" feeling.
    Environment/Mapping:
  78. Fires that emit lingering heat after going out.
  79. Night sky with distinguishable stars that can be used for navigation assuming no cloud cover.
  80. Increased variety of weather including rain, hail, and thunderstorms.
  81. More item placement that is easy to overlook (under beds, on high shelves, under loose floorboards etc.).
  82. A couple of enclosed fishing huts with beds.
  83. Abandoned cars (inoperable but searchable), maybe the ability to siphon gasoline from fuel tanks.
  84. Maps that are marked as more harsh than standard zones (less items, more threats) for players seeking a challenge.
  85. Seasonal maps.
  86. Specific map ideas: abandoned mine, shipwreck, farmstead, plane crash site, train station, large cavern, mountaintop, hot springs, nuclear power plant, cityscape, harbor, forest fire, abandoned airport, marshland, ranger outpost, treehouse, igloos, hallowed out trees.
  87. More ledges or fallen logs over streams, precarious places similar to the ravine.
  88. Structure damage and repair.
  89. Burnable structures.
  90. Buildable structures/fences. Tools like saw, hammer, nails to build them. This would obviously be very difficult to implement, but it's talked about a lot.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Thor Yep, I agree. Alternative melee would be a huge benefit to the game. There's basically three ways they could go with this: 1) Leave it as-is with power build up, 2) Keep the melee attack event but have some sort of (possibly random) required input sequence instead, 3) Free form melee attacks with your equipped weapon. This one is the most favorable but also hardest to implement. I added it to the list as somewhat long-term.

You want feedback, so I give you feedback.

The list is too long. You need to make a new list in which you specify things in order of importance, and reduce it into smaller chunks

Your ordering (short term, long term, near impossible) makes no sense. You should order them thematically (items, environment, weather, wildlife etc) and leave the rest to the people you want to reach. The people at HLS know better than any of us what is possible and what is impossible.

It is a very good list concerning the large number of ideas included. If I was a dev I would print it out and underline some things that deserve further consideration, although most are not.

Think about importance: "must / should / nice to have / shouldn't".

Keep only items tagged with "must" and "should". Remove "nice to have" items to a separate list. 99% of these items won''t be considered anyway (eg sunglasses), because they are stupid. A few of the ideas are borderline humbug and go in the "shouldn't" category. These should be discarded right away (examples: work out, GPS, ice hockey).

P.S. Referencing Dark Souls as your source of inspiration is not going to help your case with people like me.

That's true, but 3/4 of the list has also been suggested more than once (to put it lightly) on the forums before. But then this may just be a list of all the suggestions he found here on the forums, considering this line:

...but here is what I've gathered after browsing the forum a bit:...

But this seems to say different:

...Sorry if I repeated a few ideas that were previously posted by others...

There are some really good idea's here, avalanches being one of them.

One point I want to comment on is: "10. A more accurate depiction of the rifle as a Lee Enfield with 12 round clip+1."

I've never seen an real Lee Enfield, but as far as I know (and as far as google is able to tell me) the Lee Enfield has a internal 10 round magazine that is fed with 5 round clips. That would make it a 10+1.

I have all edited out all ideas that imo where either not important enough or not thought to the end.

Throwing in "Better XY" without explanations is not enough to be even considered a suggestion.

This is what was left.

1. Bears.

6. Clothing damage on wolf attack.

19. Fires that emit lingering heat after going out

21. Craftable candles.

22. Craftable wooden torches.

23. Zippo lighter.

24. Binoculars.

26. Coffee.

29. Bear traps.

33. Whetstones.

35. Locked doors with respective keys.

36. Unload option for rifle.

46. Ice fishing.

54. Abandoned cars (inoperable but searchable), maybe the ability to siphon gasoline from fuel tanks.

57. Wolf packs that encircle you at night, but won't attack if holding lit flare or near campfire.

65. Tents.

73. Maps that are marked as more harsh than standard zones (less items, more threats) for players seeking a challenge.

77. Skill/stat tree or more dynamic system of "leveling up" endurance capacity, condition, fire starting skill, cooking, fishing, fitness, etc

88. Make all items placeable and rotatable.

92. Character creation with "backstory" options that determine starting skills.

95. Burnable structures.

96. Avalanches.

I would also recommend you put your list in an Excel file. There is a tool where you can put spreadsheets online, and people can edit it. Can't remember the name tight now.

That's true, but 3/4 of the list has also been suggested more than once (to put it lightly) on the forums before. But then this may just be a list of all the suggestions he found here on the forums, considering this line:
...but here is what I've gathered after browsing the forum a bit:...

Yes that is ok. I am just saying in the current form it is not very helpful. If his plan is to make a database of all suggestion, it would of course help immensely, but he must structure it like a database (minimum is Excel) and not like a list of all rivers on Earth. No one, least of all the devs is going to read that.

One point I want to comment on is: "10. A more accurate depiction of the rifle as a Lee Enfield with 12 round clip+1."

I've never seen an real Lee Enfield, but as far as I know (and as far as google is able to tell me) the Lee Enfield has a internal 10 round magazine that is fed with 5 round clips. That would make it a 10+1.

Good that you mention it. All sources say that the Enfield has a capacity of 10 .

You want feedback, so I give you feedback.

The list is too long. You need to make a new list in which you specify things in order of importance, and reduce it into smaller chunks

The people at HLS know better than any of us what is possible and what is impossible.

Yes, it is too long. That's the point.

It is a very good list concerning the large number of ideas included. If I was a dev I would print it out and underline some things that deserve further consideration, although most are not.

So you're saying that the devs know best but most of my ideas don't deserve consideration? Based on what? Your opinion? Alright. Maybe so.

Think about importance: "must / should / nice to have / shouldn't".

Keep only items tagged with "must" and "should". Remove "nice to have" items to a separate list. 99% of these items won''t be considered anyway (eg sunglasses), because they are stupid. A few of the ideas are borderline humbug and go in the "shouldn't" category. These should be discarded right away (examples: work out, GPS, ice hockey).

Yes, you're right. They won't be considered, as I stated at the top of the list. Sorry that you feel they are stupid. I agree, GPS and ice hockey are by no means necessary (or even good). They're just ideas. As for sunglasses... if you've ever spent time in the snow outdoors they can really save your eyesight and I personally disagree with you on that one.

P.S. Referencing Dark Souls as your source of inspiration is not going to help your case with people like me.

I've never played Dark Souls and that idea is not mine. I'm not sure why it would "hurt my case" to reference another game to illustrate an idea though.

Throwing in "Better XY" without explanations is not enough to be even considered a suggestion.

Okay, maybe I'll explain things a bit more.

I thank you for your feedback. This is what I was looking for.

I never bothered to read the list because it was way too long. But seriously, ice hockey? GPS? How would GPS even work in a world with no power and all satelites probably fried by the same event that fried all electronic equipment on earth?

Point taken, I'll remove them both. Although I haven't been able to determine if such an event would knock out all electronics across the globe, or simply cause power outages and disrupt radio waves. Not sure exactly what the devs have in mind on this. Does anyone know?

Point taken, I'll remove them both. Although I haven't been able to determine if such an event would knock out all electronics across the globe, or simply cause power outages and disrupt radio waves. Not sure exactly what the devs have in mind on this. Does anyone know?

All electrical and electronical devices are destroyed. Some might still work miracuously for brief moments, during aurorae and such.

So you're saying that the devs know best but most of my ideas don't deserve consideration? Based on what? Your opinion? Alright. Maybe so.

Yes, based on my opinion and what I know about games.

I'm also just trying to get the list more focussed, some of the things are helpful, some not.

Keep in mind when we make suggestions, we are merely applying for consideration, and that requires to explain how it works, deal with problems and throw out stuff that is not helpful.

Yes, based on my opinion and what I know about games.

I'm also just trying to get the list more focussed, some of the things are helpful, some not.

Keep in mind when we make suggestions, we are merely applying for consideration, and that requires to explain how it works, deal with problems and throw out stuff that is not helpful.

Fair enough. I agree.

I have one objection towards the Bears:

In Canada there are Grizzly Bears (Brown Bears) and Black Bears, both have a long hibernation period from 3-5 months for Black Bears and 5-7 months for the Grizzly Bears. Grizzly (male) hibernation begins in early / mid October and ends in early to mid march. Black Bears hibernation time begins late october / early march and ends towards end february.

But the current day length is around from 8.00 - 9.00 to 17.00 - 18.00 making a day length of at least 8 hours, indicates us that this is around early mid November or early / mid february (40-50 days form the winter solstice for the northern latitude of 55°-65°). This also allows the temperature of -30° to - 5° in this months and latitude.

Actually, there is no definitive information about what exactly the event is. The devs have been very tight-lipped about that. I suppose they don't want to spoil this for the story mode where it will probably be revealed,

I've always taken the event as something that didn't destroy the electronics, but is just actively preventing them from working. I'm convinced I've read somewhere from one of the devs that the radio's will work sometimes, allowing you to hear fragments of transmissions. That would not be possible if the electronics were fried.

Actually, there is no definitive information about what exactly the event is. The devs have been very tight-lipped about that. I suppose they don't want to spoil this for the story mode where it will probably be revealed,

I've always taken the event as something that didn't destroy the electronics, but is just actively preventing them from working. I'm convinced I've read somewhere from one of the devs that the radio's will work sometimes, allowing you to hear fragments of transmissions. That would not be possible if the electronics were fried.

Good to know. Thanks. I suspect it might be more interesting if at least some electronics still worked some of the time, so I'd be surprised if they didn't go that route. But in any case, we should find out for sure before too long.

I have one objection towards the Bears:

In Canada there are Grizzly Bears (Brown Bears) and Black Bears, both have a long hibernation period from 3-5 months for Black Bears and 5-7 months for the Grizzly Bears. Grizzly (male) hibernation begins in early / mid October and ends in early to mid march. Black Bears hibernation time begins late october / early march and ends towards end february.

But the current day length is around from 8.00 - 9.00 to 17.00 - 18.00 making a day length of at least 8 hours, indicates us that this is around early mid November or early / mid february (40-50 days form the winter solstice for the northern latitude of 55°-65°). This also allows the temperature of -30° to - 5° in this months and latitude.

Interesting. I'll admit I know nothing about bears. I really do think they make a ton of sense in the context of the game though and would increase the challenge a bit. But depending on just how realistic the devs want to get they may or may want to make some adjustments to the daylight hours or something.

Archived