Big List

s_miracle

Has anyone suggested a sled. One of the first things I would do once I have a bit of food would be take a kids sled or two and put a large lockable box on it. Pull it around with a rope over one shoulder, easy to drop and get your rifle out. Should be easy to pull one with 100-200 kilo capacity and you can always drop it and come back later if you run into trouble.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone suggested a sled. One of the first things I would do once I have a bit of food would be take a kids sled or two and put a large lockable box on it. Pull it around with a rope over one shoulder, easy to drop and get your rifle out. Should be easy to pull one with 100-200 kilo capacity and you can always drop it and come back later if you run into trouble.

Yep, it's definitely been talked about by several people. Would definitely be a good way to save calories. It may be a while before we see this though, would be rather difficult to implement I think.

LOVE this game.

Not to sound critical, but since this IS a wish list:

1. More realistic wolf behavior. It doesn't have to be a wildlife sim, but it needs to be better.

2. A few more simple weapons to mix up gameplay, particularly an improvised spear, and maybe a .22 rifle.

3. Wire snares. Wire can be easily scavenged almost anywhere.

4. Slow basal deterioration A LOT, but add larger drops with incidents like falls or random snags on brush.

5. Snow in northern Canada is clean- you shouldn't commonly get dysentery from drinking melted snow.

6. A bit of incubation time for diseases.

7. You should need containers to carry water, rather than the "virtual water bottles" used now.

8. Likewise, you should need a pot or can to melt and boil water.

9. Duct tape!

10. Wind effects- less in trees and in the lee of large objects.

11. Snowshoes!

12. Warning before major items fail, for instance "Down Ski Jacket condition 10%!" or such.

13. It should be possible- if difficult- to survive dysentery or food poisoning without antibiotics.

See below for more detail:

********************************************************************************************

I agree that avalanches would be A) difficult to implement, and B) seen as totally random harassment by players. Basically, it would be "2% chance you arbitrarily die on any given day." Frustrating, and I for one would feel cheated.

I understand why the devs have done what they have done, but I agree that wildlife behavior could be better. This is the one change I would make if I could propose only one:

Change the wolves into the pack hunters that they are: one larger wolf pack per map that roams at semi-random between favorite hunting spots. (These "favorite hunting spots" are, of course, the high-loot areas that the devs want to keep challenging. So you have to worry about the pack coming through while you're there.) You hear a howl or come across tracks, then look around trying to spot them before they spot you, so that you can run or hide. They surround you, but generally stay away if you have a lit flare, but now you have to get to secure shelter and wait for them to lose interest and move along. Perhaps you hear yipping and scratching noises until they leave? When surrounded have the one behind you dart in to take a bite, then run away when you spin around with the flare, but then if you don't spin around fast enough again the ones that are behind you now do the same. THAT would keep the players on edge, wouldn't it? Constantly spinning while trying to get to shelter... wow. Harsh. Don't run out of flares. They don't all pile on you until you're very weakened. They should generally not try to get between you and large objects, so that you can keep your back to a rock or building to fend them off. Imagine being cornered in Alan's Cave facing a half a dozen wolves! This keeps wolves dangerous without devolving an encounter into a contest of how fast you can spam your mouse button.

You could swiftly get complex with the wolf behavior. You could, for instance, make a standard pack 6 wolves, but periodically there's a chance that 1 to 3 (usually 2) split off to go "scouting" and head to a different "favorite hunting spot" next, and meet back up with the pack after that. Clearly, if they are close enough a howl from one pack can attract the other...

And, just to be clear- given his fan base on this forum I would never suggest doing away with Fluffy. He's clearly one of those "lone wolves" you hear about...

Replace the other "lone wolves" with bears (which they seem to act more like anyway) and make them more rare. Some bizarre "geomagnetic anomaly" interfering with hibernation is at least decent-sounding handwavium. Or they are those odd grizzly/polar hybrids. Rationalize their tendency to attack humans as "they have been scavenging the frozen corpses and have thus come to consider humans to be food."

Such critters would be more manageable if you could make a spear and had a decent melee system- I think that's a big oversight in a survival game. A spear is an obvious and easy improvisation, and VERY handy for fending off frisky wildlife. Once you skewer or shoot the first wolf have the others be more likely to decide that you are "not food" and move along. A spear also might, with perseverance and just a bit of luck, fend off a bear.

That said, I agree that this game shouldn't be about weapons. It is not, for example, a zombie apocalypse game. So the maps shouldn't be littered with ordnance. (Why would there be flash-bangs laying around, for Pete's sake?!?) But a few other simple options might lead to varied gameplay. For instance, a .22 rifle that's good for potting rabbits, but tends to only wound larger critters (which then slow down) so that you need to track them or follow a blood trail to recover the kill, or maybe you even need to shoot them again. Likewise, a bow or crossbow that has much more of a drop with distance but a decent chance to recover the arrow would be interesting. And, yes, a way to craft a slingshot for hunting rabbits would be nice.

Likewise, it seems like there should be lots of opportunities to scavenge WIRE for snares. Heck, the dam alone must have kilometers of the stuff. This also seems like a big oversight for a game like this. They would conceivably be more durable than the gut snares.

IMHO, almost everything deteriorates too fast. I had my toque rot off my body in less than two days! Again, I felt cheated. If you want verisimilitude then the basal deterioration rate for almost everything should be very low, but have chances for occasional large drops. For instance, when walking through forest have a chance for "Snagged and tore sweater on a branch, -15% condition!" or on a steep slope "Stumble and tear pants on debris, -10% condition!" messages. "Snagged glove on a burr, -10% condition!" "Blew out a seam on your coat, -15% condition!" "Boot sole delamination, -20%!" The chances of all this should depend upon the terrain and your exhaustion, perhaps highest in ruined buildings with lots of snags. I absolutely LOVE the idea of clothing damage from animal attacks. You should also chance damaging clothing during a fall. For that matter, you should chance LOSING some items during a fall (anything in your hands, your hat, things on your belt like your knife or hatchet, etc.). If you injure yourself using a knife or hatchet an appropriate clothing item should be damaged, too. Usually this is the glove/pants with a knife, but could be hand/boots/pants with the hatchet, though with a slight chance for other locations. (It's actually not unknown to clock oneself in the face or head with an axe if it skips.) Injuring yourself should be more likely with exhaustion or hypothermia (if it isn't already). Clearly, injury should also be more likely when using a tool with a low condition (i.e. dull.)

The knife, hatchet, and rifle in particular shouldn't deteriorate so fast. But sharpness of the former two should be tracked- a dull blade is dangerous, so increase chance of injury when using them. Of course, then you need to implement a way to sharpen them... But a .303 Enfield is a damned sturdy rifle. (I collect military rifles of that generation.) It might be better to introduce larger events, similar to what I mentioned for clothing. Have an event "Hit rifle barrel on a rock and bent the front sight!", after which the sight actually is off until you sight it in again or something. And make such things more likely if you carry the rifle in your hands rather than slung! Negligent discharges might be carrying things a bit far. An event that totally stops the rifle from working could just be a spring failing or something, which could indeed be fixed with some scrap metal. If the magazine spring fails and now it must be loaded one round at a time until this is fixed...

Getting dysentery from drinking melted snow should be almost unheard of- you're essentially collecting rainwater in northern Canada! It's clean! If drinking lake water or river water is implemented it'll be more reasonable. Which in turn really would only matter if other seasons are implemented. Otherwise why would you drink lake water?

There should be a random incubation period before dysentery or food poisoning takes effect- keep the player guessing about exactly what he ate that caused it. In my personal opinion these should both be rarer. A few of my games thus far have degenerated into attempts to collect a large personal pharmacy, which isn't really much fun.

It seems like you can just carry any amount of water you like, right? In real survival situations finding water containers can be a troubling issue. You should need to have containers. In contrast to the above, quick deterioration of bottled-water bottles should be relatively fast. Finding a real canteen or empty glass bottle with a cap should be a relief. You can keep and use empty 0.3L soda cans, but if you fall or stumble (see above re: clothing damage) they should leak, etc.

You should need a pot or can to melt snow, rather than assuming that every stove has one, though they should be a common finding. The max amount that you can melt at once would be the total capacity of your pots and tin cans- the total amount you're melting or boiling shouldn't make it take longer, though the size of the largest container would. But then you have to choose between leaving all your pots/cans at your base camp versus hauling it all or some of it with you.

Here's an idea- Duct Tape! Duct tape could be used for a quick +10% repair of almost ANYTHING, but that 10% then deteriorates again a bit faster. Hikers use duct tape to repair shoes, coats, tents, sleeping bags, etc., so this is actually very realistic. You might find it in rolls of X many pieces. This really is a facepalm, actually...

For that matter, it would be nice if a piece of clothing or other key equipment produced a warning when it was about to fail. "Boot condition 10%!" or some such.

Also, I can't figure out if this is modeled or not- does terrain affect wind? When I'm caught in the wind I try to get in the trees or in the lee of a terrain feature to hunker down. In the game if you're caught in wind you should be able to find the lee of a rock or a pile of logs in the trees, build a fire, and hunker down and stand a chance of living.

Agreed- snowshoes would be a great addition, especially if you can craft your own from wood and gut.

It should be possible to survive dysentery or food poisoning without antibiotics. It should be balanced to make it difficult, but not impossible. After all this is how the WHO treats cholera in the third word- time and LOTS of water.

To developers - stopping and bringing up the inventory screen to see what your dehydration status, hunger and exhaustion is very disruptive to play and game continuity. Some kind of very unobtrusive indication on the screen would help me a lot. No warning as to clothing getting close to fail and then failing is very disruptive also as to find the condition of cloths on has to go into the same screen above.

Certainly, the people who lived around the lakes, an obvious recreation area, would have maps of the area. I mean really good maps, eh. Some way to determine direction would be really great: sun (sun up or sun set), stars, obvious reference points like high peaks in the area.

Also, when the crafting gets going good, it would be very easy to "find" a "crafting" book or magazine in some of those houses.

Look, man lived just fine in the type of environment that we are trying to exist in 10,000 years ago. There are plenty of ways to to create something to protect ourselves with, from the elements and animals and make ourselves right cozy if the developers so choose.

All in all after about 20 hrs of play I am enjoying the game.

Thanks you guys.

Here's an idea- Duct Tape! Duct tape could be used for a quick +10% repair of almost ANYTHING, but that 10% then deteriorates again a bit faster. Hikers use duct tape to repair shoes, coats, tents, sleeping bags, etc., so this is actually very realistic. You might find it in rolls of X many pieces. This really is a facepalm, actually...

For that matter, it would be nice if a piece of clothing or other key equipment produced a warning when it was about to fail. "Boot condition 10%!" or some such.

Also, I can't figure out if this is modeled or not- does terrain affect wind? When I'm caught in the wind I try to get in the trees or in the lee of a terrain feature to hunker down. In the game if you're caught in wind you should be able to find the lee of a rock or a pile of logs in the trees, build a fire, and hunker down and stand a chance of living.

Agreed- snowshoes would be a great addition, especially if you can craft your own from wood and gut.

It should be possible to survive dysentery or food poisoning without antibiotics. It should be balanced to make it difficult, but not impossible. After all this is how the WHO treats cholera in the third word- time and LOTS of water.

I like the ducktape idea.

A notice when clothing (or tools or anything really) reaches a low condition (like 10%) would be very helpful.

I don't think all terrain effects wind, but standing on the right side of the house sure does make a difference.

It is possible to survive food poisoning without antibiotics now. You will lose condition rapidly until you are at 15% then it stops (I assume starvation/ freeezing/ dehydration will still affect your condition though!). You can ride it out this way and heal back up after it passes.

LOVE this game.

Not to sound critical, but since this IS a wish list:

1. More realistic wolf behavior. It doesn't have to be a wildlife sim, but it needs to be better.

2. A few more simple weapons to mix up gameplay, particularly an improvised spear, and maybe a .22 rifle.

4. Slow basal deterioration A LOT, but add larger drops with incidents like falls or random snags on brush.

5. Snow in northern Canada is clean- you shouldn't commonly get dysentery from drinking melted snow.

7. You should need containers to carry water, rather than the "virtual water bottles" used now.

9. Duct tape!

11. Snowshoes!

12. Warning before major items fail, for instance "Down Ski Jacket condition 10%!" or such.

13. It should be possible- if difficult- to survive dysentery or food poisoning without antibiotics.

These are all good points. Duct tape and wire would be good tools. I definitely think the way wind affects you near objects and on different terrain could be (and should be eventually) reworked a lot, but good for now. I'll be adding some of these.

Change the wolves into the pack hunters that they are: one larger wolf pack per map that roams at semi-random between favorite hunting spots. (These "favorite hunting spots" are, of course, the high-loot areas that the devs want to keep challenging. So you have to worry about the pack coming through while you're there.) You hear a howl or come across tracks, then look around trying to spot them before they spot you, so that you can run or hide. They surround you, but generally stay away if you have a lit flare, but now you have to get to secure shelter and wait for them to lose interest and move along. Perhaps you hear yipping and scratching noises until they leave? When surrounded have the one behind you dart in to take a bite, then run away when you spin around with the flare, but then if you don't spin around fast enough again the ones that are behind you now do the same. THAT would keep the players on edge, wouldn't it? Constantly spinning while trying to get to shelter... wow. Harsh. Don't run out of flares. They don't all pile on you until you're very weakened. They should generally not try to get between you and large objects, so that you can keep your back to a rock or building to fend them off. Imagine being cornered in Alan's Cave facing a half a dozen wolves! This keeps wolves dangerous without devolving an encounter into a contest of how fast you can spam your mouse button.

I definitely think your idea to force the player to spin around when confronting wolves is a good one. I hope they will work on this at some point as the wolf AI continues to evolve and become more complex.

This is a good list forming here!

Thanks, glad you like.

To developers - stopping and bringing up the inventory screen to see what your dehydration status, hunger and exhaustion is very disruptive to play and game continuity. Some kind of very unobtrusive indication on the screen would help me a lot. No warning as to clothing getting close to fail and then failing is very disruptive also as to find the condition of cloths on has to go into the same screen above.

This is tricky. I'm sure they've been thinking about this, but there's a very fine line between giving indications and ruining the immersion. In some ways having the player stop to bring up a menu is not a bad thing, sort of like stopping to look through your backpack. But I do agree that sometimes things have a way of sneaking up on you just because you hadn't opened your menu for the last few minutes.

I was going to make my big wish list then I saw this thread, covers basically everything I wanted. Good job!

Awesome, thanks!

• 1 year later...

9. Duct tape!

11. Snowshoes!

********************************************************************************************

1. More realistic wolf behavior. 1. Yes, yes, yes!!! Strongly +1!

2. A few more simple weapons to mix up gameplay, particularly an improvised spear... 2. +1 for improvised spear, "nice to have" some more weapons.

4. Slow basal deterioration A LOT, but add larger drops with incidents like falls or random snags on brush. 4. Nice to have.

5. Snow in northern Canada is clean - you shouldn't commonly get dysentery from drinking melted snow. 5. Yes! +1! As for me the chance to get the disease should be lowered greatly! I think IRL it is much more less then 1% per 10 L. So it will be more realistic to have 50% chance after 500 L, IMHO.

6. A bit of incubation time for diseases. 6. Nice to have.

7 and 8. You should need containers to carry water, rather than the "virtual water bottles" used now. Likewise, you should need a pot or can to melt and boil water.

7 and 8. Maybe, but maybe better to leave it as simple as it is now.

10. Wind effects- less in trees and in the lee of large objects. 10. Nice to have.

11. Snowshoes! 11. Nice to have.

As for wolves (and other predators then) i`d like to add:

- chance for deers and rabbits to overrun (or hide from) the wolf/other predator chasing them.

- alter their hostility towards the player depending the number of animals predators hunt - that could depend on map - some maps have good feeding base for the non-carnivore, some did not (if deers and rabbits are plenty - wolves are well fed most of time and it is small chance to attack on player, if there is a little food for them - so then they became desperate if they are starving and attack anything that moves).

Not sure if this suggestion really fits in here, but I don't want to clutter the forums by making a new topic. Anyways, here are a few suggestions and some thoughts I have about the game. A suggestion I have for the game is custom game settings in sandbox mode. You are currently able to choose from the 3 difficulties, but I think it would be cool for players to be able to even further fine tune their playing experience by adjusting each tiny little feature of game play. ex. rate of item decay - rarity of blizzards, chance of getting food poisoning, so on and so forth. Little things like that. I just think it would be nice because I'm not too happy with how some aspects of the game, one of them being how fast certain items decay. In my opinion items such as matches and certain (non perishable) food items should decay much MUCH slower than they do. I feel that whetstones and rifle cleaning kits are destroyed too fast. Of course, this is all just my personal opinion, and I understand that most people will likely not agree with what I am saying. :roll:

edit-

I thought that just came to me, concerning my decay rate thingy (my mind isn't a very organized place) - Anyway, the idea being that depending on where an item is stored depends on how fast it decays (this idea has likely been mentioned one time or another) Airtight plastic containers would be better to store things such as matches and all that jazz. I'm very bothered at the decay rate of a lot of items. One of my only peeves with the game. If things decayed more realistically, that would completely satisfy my playing experience (not that it isn't satisfied now).

• 1 year later...

Archived