Temporary solution: tutorial pop-ups

RedNanaki

When you start a new game you would get the option to enable or disable tutorial pop-ups.Then when an event such as "Cold" status happens you get a pop-up explaining about freezing and how to avoid it. Or when a wolf attack happens the pop-up tells you how to use LMB and RMB. I've read several posts here, on Steam and Reddit where people complain about dying to their first wolf attack before being able to figure out the mechanic.

Pop-ups like these could be a temporary solution until the implementation of story mode.

Tutorial pop-up would be considered hand-holding by the devs. They don't do hand-holding. Having to figure out for yourself how to do things is intentional and is part of the fun for most. Yes you'll die quite a few times before you've figured everything out, but each time you (hopefully) learn from it.

You have a point though on the first wolf attack. Even though the text is displayed on the screen when you are attacked, you will probably not survive it anyway.

Best moment for a Cave Johnson quote: http://youtu.be/x7AZUO6FeRE?t=7s

:)

Personally I have not had a need for them, I survived for 29 days on my third attempt and successfully fought off my very first wolf attack.

But some people are just not good at games and understanding mechanics but still want to play and learn. It's just an accessibility thing for some people who want to enjoy the game but can't because they don't understand the mechanics. Then they just get angry at the game for not following real-world logic.

Maybe you could get the tutorial pop-up after you already died. :P Froze to death? Stay warm by being inside or starting a fire. Death by wolf? Here's how the struggle mechanic works.

Lol. Yes, okay. Maybe not. I don't know. xD

I've just always been a supporter of making games more accessible. To the unskilled and the deaf and so on. I always select the "hard" difficulty when I play a game, but that doesn't mean I don't think easy or normal should be an option. :)

Archived