Where do you make your base on the Coastal Highway map?

elloco999

Like the title says, I'd like to know where everyone makes their base on the Coastal Highway map?

I've yet to find a house that has both a place to light a fire (stove or fireplace) and a good place to store matches (like a medical cabinet). Both are requirements for a good base IMHO. Also the location is an important factor of course.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think all containers are the same now. The medical cabinet's lower pace of degradation has been fixed. I haven't even explored the entire map yet, so haven't decided on a base, but the one I've been thinking about is the waterfront cottage with a fireplace.

I just started a new run yesterday and the matches in the medical kit in the Camp Office don't seem to degrade any faster then they used to in v.138. Maybe it's just the medical cabinets on the Coastal Highway map that are not very good for matches?

That's what I wrote in the other thread! There is a white (new) and a red (old) medical kit

This is a real problem in Costal Highway. There isn't any good base. Mystery Lake had at least 2 (Trapper's and Camp Office). Even Carter Hydro Dam and Forestry Lookouts would have been better than the Gas Station (werewolf country).

The new buildings are all too dark inside, and have no fireplace. They are creepy, almost like haunted houses. There is too much furniture, modern stuff (TV) and many rooms that you dont need. Others are in complete dissaray and you cannot rearrange them (Garage).

I am currently using the Lakefront cabin with fireplace, but the darkness inside is a real problem. I think I will move to Jackrabbit Island, and make fires outside, with a view over the lake. It also has the Fishing Camp and a workbench opposite, and you have one of the best views in the whole game.

I had 3 bases on my longest run of 23 days, mostly in or on the outskirts of Coastal Townside Camp although that area does attract a lot of wolves. Fridges were my main priority as they hold a lot of gear and the coolness of the fridge didn't seem to effect anything you put in them.

Some of those houses had too many cupboards; if I have to open another cupboard again I think I will scream.

Is that the one near Silent Clearing, at the end of one of the snow-roads? It's a nice place and I haven't seen any wolves there. Not so sure about it being central though but I haven't seen even half the map, so what do I know. I'd prefer something a bit closer to the road to the ravine so going back and forth between the maps is easier.

The house Burning Bridges showed doesn't have a fireplace or I'd be using it. I myself use the one down the hill from it in the Coastal Townsite, has a fireplace, 2 entrances, one with a deck. Never encounter wolves coming out from the deck entrance, however the inside of the house is real dark.

I base at this house right at the edge of the Coastal Townsite. It works for me, my best game so far has been 55 days and it was at this base. I made the mistake of going to Mystery Lake to loot there and got attacked by two wolves working my way to the ravine. This game I started off at Mystery Lake, cleared it out and worked my way to this base. So far on day 40 and I have the whole Coastal Highway to loot still.

There are plenty of wolves to kill off for meat that will constantly respawn at the Coastal Townsite but they are not a nuisance because this house is on the edge of the town. It has a fireplace and plenty of storage. All in all a decent house.

screen_69e9e10c-b4d3-4cc2-8158-2829a81d4c2f_zps24be327f.png

The house on the road is imo the best place if you want to be safe from wolfes, and the lack of a fireplace is no problem as long as you get used to making fires when there is no wind.

Another option would be the Fishing Camp. It has some nice, very basic interiors, the right amount of containers, and access to a workbench. You can use the ice fishing hut just 100m away for cooking and use the nice containers to store raw meat, or just make campfires on the large space in front of the huts and simply throw your meat on the ground. There is 1 wolf that will very reliably attack you from time to time but you could use him as a simple source of food - he will come to you and you don't need to look for him. Most of all it has a nice woodcabin athmoshpere and is not as barren as most other places.

• 1 month later...

The House on the edge of town with the fireplace burned down. Who did it? I was planning on using that as my main base this time. I was using the house on the edge of the map with the fireplace but the single wolf has turned into 3 wolves with my increase in difficulty. Not a huge problem with the porch protecting me from being jumped but I have only one bottle of antiseptic this run and I can't afford mistakes. I am debating trying the Jackrabbit island house but I really hate that there is no inside stove.

I've been basing at the Quonset Hut Garage just off the road. Plenty of storage in 3 lockers, 2 workbenches for crafting, usually a small toolkit, scrap metal, a prybar (sometimes 2, and once 3! Three prybars: that's good lootin'!), jerrycan(s), a cot right next to a fire barrel in the back, and two exits (front door and back door). Only issue is the Garage is pretty much in the center of town, and is thick with wolves, so I have to be careful getting in and out.

I do like the house above the town, though. Might give that a try for a while, see if it's any better.

I used to make my base in one of the blue houses that's caddy-corner from the gas station (on the landward side). It sucked when wolves spawned a lot before the newest patch, but as long as I didn't get an ambush spawn, I could very easily escape the wolf patrol in the neighborhood and circle out around the hill and onto the ice for some fishing or rabbit pickups. This worked incredibly well and I lasted 108 days before a wolf walked through my fire and ate me.

Now I just use the gas station since it has the workshop in it. It works a little bit better now since the new update, I've found a lot more ammunition to deal with wolves in emergencies, and the new "breathing room" has helped with escaping the radius of my house. The only problem so far is trying to return. It's easy if i'm not injured or slowed in ANY way, but if there's anything going wrong, I typically just spend the night in a satellite house where i've left some emergency supplies, or spend the night in a fish shack before returning the next morning.

I've chosen Misanthrope's Homestead.

It's got a very short walk to Jackrabbit Island with a fishing hut in the way for long-term survival loops, and it's a short distance from pretty much everything except the Abandoned Lookout. Doesn't tend to be surrounded by wolves (there are still around, mind you), allows for a good lookout for carcasses in the lake and having a lot of houses at reach facilitates setting forward bases if you wish to go on a hunting or exploration trip.

Disadvantages: no workbench in site (though you can go to the station or fishing village if you need one), accesses are a bit awkward and when camped by wolves can be dangerous, it's impossible to reach the bed in the dark without a source of light, and has no indoors fireplaces, so a several or sudden day blizzard may present a problem in certain situations. For me it has a good pro/cons ratio especially when considering wolf spawns.

I haven't done it so far but I would like to try out the shack in rabbit grove, near bear creek. Lots of rabbits( I hope) haven't seen a wolf too close to the shack yet and it's easy to go from one map to another. Just need to make sure there's a place close by where you can make a fire in windier conditions.

Place I like best on Mystery lake is the little shack with the outhouse between unnamed pond and clearcut apart from that it hardly ever spawns any storage space.

I prefer no wolves outside over a fireplace inside :)

• 1 month later...

I stay in Rabbit Island. It have a lot of advan there, can place snares right in front of the door, i place 10 snares there and the next morning just need to open the door and harvest rabbit meat. Can fish or chase deer to wolf and harvest both easyly. The most important thing is there is no wolf upthere, so no need to be scared when go outside or go back home when it s dark.

The disadvantage is it dont have a fire place, and a little to far from workbench. That all.

If you chose to stay here then it is very easyly to last 100 days(No wolf and a lot of rabbit) if you already scavenge everything in the map.

Archived