A Peek Inside Hinterland's Daily Conversations

Guest Alan Lawrance

It's interesting how capitalization can make such a difference... 1000 cal = 1 kcal = 1 Cal. (Because some how it made sense to use the same name?)

Then there is the whole ton vs. tonne thing...

Or how about the Billion unit ?? In the US 1 Billion is One Thousand Million and in UK its One Million Million SOOOO European Billionaires are richer than the US Billionaires ?!?!?!? Well so it use to be Source Go figure :?: :?:

Or how about the Billion unit ?? In the US 1 Billion is One Thousand Million and in UK its One Million Million SOOOO European Billionaires are richer than the US Billionaires ?!?!?!? Well so it use to be Source Go figure :?: :?:

Yeah, I've learned something like that recently -- I get National Geographic translated in Spanish. They'll write "5 600 milliones" because of the billion/milliard confusion.

• 2 weeks later...
That's it, we're creating a new unit of food energy called a KiloRaph. Or kR. It measures how long I can last between cups of coffee.

Not a coffee guy but I do the Dew and currently I am at 2 hours a kR. Just out of curiosity will there be weight associated with how much water you are carrying, will the container have weight that will work against you. Pre-apologize if this has been spoken of elsewhere but I know whenever I am on long hikes it is always a consideration.

• Hinterland

Interesting idea. Currently the only reason why inventory would affect movement speed is if you exceed the permitted threshold. So, rather than jettison your entire pack, you would probably want to drop select items when you realize you are over-encumbered, to avoid the situation where you need to flee and can't because you are over-encumbered. But dropping the pack is an interesting idea.

Guest Alan Lawrance

Wildlife plays a big role in The Long Dark. Here is a recent discussion on Wolves and Cougars.

• Hinterland
But dropping the pack is an interesting idea.
Wolf diversion?

Right now we allow that by dropping food items. Different food items have different "scent" values. The higher the scent value, the more effective a decoy. Raw meat works much better than a can of peaches. :)

I kinda like the idea of abandoning your back as a last-ditch effort to get away from something though. That one's going in the old thinker.

I kinda like the idea of abandoning your back as a last-ditch effort to get away from something though. That one's going in the old thinker.

I like your thinker... Small speed boost, stamina boost, but then you have to live with the consequences of that rash decision. :-)

• 1 year later...

I totally agree with Raph. Corpse of humans and animals are usually the places where I get killed the most by wolves. If I could bury or drag them to a better location would be great. Burying gear/food that is weighing me down would be great too. If I died and was able to come back and find my body to retrieve gear might be cool especially if pvp is integrated. Cheers

Archived