Survival: Can you drink your own pee?

robdoar

You should not drink your own pee for any survival issues because it will only increase your dehydration as it is full of toxins that your body needs to get rid of. Why would you want to put those back into your body? Anyone inspired by fake experts who have changed their first name to that of an animal has been duped. If you want to drink pee just for the craic then be my guest but you wont last long on that alone!

The abundant snow is great but you don't want to keep munching on snow or drinking the freshly melted cold water as it will quickly drop your body temperature in an environment where hypothermia is a real possibility. Maybe they will have a camelback type bladder hydration system that Will can wear under his coat to keep his water warmer, and maybe you can have a water barrel in your safe house and maybe...

Drinking your own pee, like Robdoar mention earlier, is a big no no. It can cause sepsis and all sorts of other bad things. If the survivor were going to drink anything it should be boiled snow. I mean it's winter there is snow everywhere and from the pre-alpha video he can start a fire; now all he needs is a pot.

• 11 months later...

Can you drink your own urine? Sure. It's definitely physically possible. Should you drink your own urine? No. Not at all. Yes the earlier post was correct in the water/waste ratio, but how many people are actually that well hydrated when they decide that urine is their best source of water (aside from Bear Grylls)? If your urine is dark and smells like chicken noodle soup, that doesn't mean that it's finally ready.e1521b1af87b7717e8d6268a64c769573f2571c3bd57f444342aea3ae3721f9b.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
you could still boil it in one container and condense in other... to get clear water. If there was no water source.

i've seen that on some tv show (can't remember which) so technically you might be able to do it, but thinking about it, who carries two water bottles plus tape around with them :P

although in the long dark, i have seen a few plastic container bottles, so who knows, maybe the devs will add that idea

hmattachment.php?attachmentid=785&d=1281889742 now thinking back i remember the tv show, it was for someone in the desert, and the water evaporated from one bottle to the other in the heat :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I read a few years ago that it's more beneficial to just hold it in, as your body resorbs the water from your bladder in a very dire situation. However, I suppose this is not an issue in TLD, considering there's more snow than any survivor can ever dream of melting and boiling off in a lifetime, and then there's also rivers and lakes and even a waterfall.

This is pretty high on the top of my list of "Things you can do, but shouldn't.", along with eating my own leg when I'm starving and making clothes out of my own body hair.

On May 24, 2016 at 7:10 AM, Wastelander said:

I read a few years ago that it's more beneficial to just hold it in, as your body resorbs the water from your bladder in a very dire situation. However, I suppose this is not an issue in TLD, considering there's more snow than any survivor can ever dream of melting and boiling off in a lifetime, and then there's also rivers and lakes and even a waterfall.

This is pretty high on the top of my list of "Things you can do, but shouldn't.", along with eating my own leg when I'm starving and making clothes out of my own body hair.

Umm, nope. Can't resorb water from urine stored in the bladder. Once your body's water is filtered by the kidneys, that's it. The only way for it to go is out as urine. Which I don't recommend drinking.

It's amazing how many untruths - both innocent and dangerous, are actually circulating the Internet masquerading as facts. So I'd like to see such outlandish "facts" supported by actual articles from credible medical sites such as Mayo Clinic, WebMD, etc. Otherwise I'd just keep shooting them down as I see 'em. Nothing against you, @Wastelander, as the rest of your post is pretty much spot on. 

Such as - *looks down at own feminine body* - making clothes from my body hair? Riiight. That'll be a sure cure to boredom if I have to recover from hypothermia . . . but also a guaranteed set up for cabin fever OTOH. 9_9

Just now, hauteecolerider said:

Faster than a Bear Grylls survival episode? 

:silly:

I'm so useless IRL; I'd be dead before the opening theme song ends. Well, good ol' bear could probably make me a "what NOT to do"-character. Now there's a career option... "Bear Grylls and Wastelander - Ultimate Stupidity" :D

Archived