Share your gaming immersion tips

I've seen people post that they light campfire-scented candles, listen to specific music, or wrap themselves in warm clothing when they play The Long Dark.

Have you ever tried something like this to enhance your immersion in a game's world while you play? Share your tips!

I sometimes switch off the heating and open the window in winter whenever my character is outside and close it again once she enters an interior or a cave. B|

It's probably only advisable if outdoor temperatures are somewhere between +5 to -10 ºC, though. At lower temperatures it might get uncomfortably cold inside the room very fast and one might easily catch a cold, I guess.

11 hours ago, nicko said:

That yawn we get when the game character gets tired? you have to say twice to your self no im not tired I just woke up. If not real coffee time.

If I had a coffee every time my character made me yawn, I'd have a real problem on my hands.

(when I worked as an IT professional, I practically lived on coffee.. these days, I try to limit it to one a day. Much kinder on my liver.)

• 2 weeks later...

i bought my laptop to my spring camp and played outside on the steps of my cabin

my laptop thankfully survived but i wore clothes that my character wore

so i somehow had to kill a deer and make boots, wear 4 layers of shirts and coats, 1 thermal underwear (or long johns, thats what my town calls it) and 1 pair of wool socks

and my laptop died from battery

I use to sit by the fire in my base and make Journal entries. I write down my adventures, near death experiences or what i´m planning to do on the next day. It´s fun to read it after some time has gone by and to see what you have been through. I also used to make up a story for my sandbox character, like finding Astrid or looking for other survivors. And I make some basic entries, like where I leave something behind to find it later. 

Even in the summer when I play in the TLD I take a large thermos with a hot coffee and dress warmly. The game is very atmospheric and I have a complete immersion in the game, except that I do not have to heal the wounds after skirmishes with wolves and bears. :$

Archived