Labelling of Resources on Map

Fitz

I've only just gotten back into TLD since the update and am testing out the mapping system. I love the way it has been implemented, but think it would benefit from a couple of tweaks. In my testing I've noticed that even harvested resources show up on the map. I also made the mistake of mapping areas which were still full of carcasses, and even though I went back and re-surveyed the areas after the carcasses disappeared the marks remained on my map. Anyway, I propose the following:

• Carcasses, which have been fully harvested (or rotten and disappeared) could be crossed out in the map, even if this requires re-surveying the area or doing it manually. Even better would be if the carcass mark then became smudged over time until it disappeared, like the charcoal has been deliberately rubbed to erase the mark, or due to regular use of the map. Alternatively a fresh map could be copied from the old, minus these carcasses; perhaps done by crafting a new one from a deer hide or similar.
  • Similarly harvested plant items could be marked with a cross. In this case I don't think smudging/fading would be appropriate, but that is purely a personal aesthetic choice.
  • Lastly; containers, vehicles and houses which show up on the map could have similar markings, perhaps a single line or circle for searched, a cross for emptied. In this case I think manual labeling would be the most appropriate, allowing players two or more markings which they can permanently apply to items as they search/clear the map.

I think these proposals fit with the general rational of the game and the aesthetic of the mapping system. I know for certain that if I was in a situation like that of the game I would be marking cleared buildings as I went and removing/crossing out old irrelevant markings such as fully harvested carcasses.

Archived