Need Some help !

SPiRiT

so hey every one 

I wana make this simple 

what do you guys do to start fires in long term ? 

eventually i am out of matches right now :|  well what shall i do now ? :| 

i could really use some ideas and knowing what u guys do might help 

p.s. found a fire starter and ruined it too :D that mean completely out when indoors i think :D

3 hours ago, SPiRiT said:

so hey every one 

I wana make this simple 

what do you guys do to start fires in long term ? 

eventually i am out of matches right now :|  well what shall i do now ? :| 

i could really use some ideas and knowing what u guys do might help 

p.s. found a fire starter and ruined it too :D that mean completely out when indoors i think :D

Wow....how many days have you been playing, and on what difficulty level?

I am playing on Voyager, about 100 days in and I probably have 200 cardboard and wooden matches and 3 firestrikers. I got those from exploring FM, ML, and CH.

Magnifying glasses apparently never wear out, but they only work during daylight and when it's clear outside. I have about 6 magnifying glasses and use one whenever weather allows.

Do you have any flares left? You can start a fire with a flare.

I would explore more maps and look for more matches....unless you have been playing like 600 days, explored all the maps, found all the matches, and used them all.

If that is the case like I said, there is still magnifying glasses for clear days....

You can grab a torch from a fire you light outside with a magnifying glass, and then use the burning torch inside to light a fire. Pretty sure magnifying glasses work inside fishing huts on clear days too....

In addition to @Thrasador 's suggestions, it is possible to avoid wasting matches when you fail to start a fire by lighting a torch first, then using the torch to start your fire. Plus with current mechanics it is possible to retrieve a new torch from the fire rather than how it used to be where you got a brand which was impossible to be relit. Not sure why they made this change as it seemed like a backstep to me. But yeah, magnifying glass should allow you to only have to use 1 match or something in 20-50 days if you are equipped and careful.

12 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Wow....how many days have you been playing, and on what difficulty level?

I am playing on Voyager, about 100 days in and I probably have 200 cardboard and wooden matches and 3 firestrikers. I got those from exploring FM, ML, and CH.

Magnifying glasses apparently never wear out, but they only work during daylight and when it's clear outside. I have about 6 magnifying glasses and use one whenever weather allows.

Do you have any flares left? You can start a fire with a flare.

I would explore more maps and look for more matches....unless you have been playing like 600 days, explored all the maps, found all the matches, and used them all.

If that is the case like I said, there is still magnifying glasses for clear days....

You can grab a torch from a fire you light outside with a magnifying glass, and then use the burning torch inside to light a fire. Pretty sure magnifying glasses work inside fishing huts on clear days too....

well i am not really an explorer type so i mostly tend to stay in one place and i only explore when i need to like i have to get to a forge or look for sth 

so with this trait of mine ( witch i am pretty sure is terrible  :D )  after about 50-70 days i ran out of fire source :D 

but i liked the magnifying glass idea and i will use it for sure ty :)

and well as the @selfless mentioned it wouldn't be bad to start over again after some time and consider it a win ! so yeah i am gono try it too 

2 hours ago, Renegade30 said:

In addition to @Thrasador 's suggestions, it is possible to avoid wasting matches when you fail to start a fire by lighting a torch first, then using the torch to start your fire. Plus with current mechanics it is possible to retrieve a new torch from the fire rather than how it used to be where you got a brand which was impossible to be relit. Not sure why they made this change as it seemed like a backstep to me. But yeah, magnifying glass should allow you to only have to use 1 match or something in 20-50 days if you are equipped and careful.

well i haven't been playing for some time and I've starter recently again so ty for mentioning the new mechanics that was helpful :) 

57 minutes ago, SPiRiT said:

well i haven't been playing for some time and I've starter recently again so ty for mentioning the new mechanics that was helpful :) 

No problem guys, I like to help out and be useful here. I made a post in the "How to Play" section about being available to answer questions. So feel free to ask me questions if either of you have anymore.

@SPiRiTthis game almost requires exploring the entirety of every map and relocating to new maps to find as many resources as possible. This becomes especially important at higher difficulty levels, as you find less and less loot by searching the harder the difficulty level. Oh two important changes you may need to know is old man's beard no longer requires a bandage to craft, so it doesn't stop bleeding...it is only antiseptic. Also they removed brandishing, so you have to throw fire at wolves, (torches/flares) so dropping bait and shooting them works better in my opinion.

You can survive for periods of time in one place, and many resources are renewable, but some are limited....like matches, cloth, scrap metal, saplings, and other plant life. So the best way to survive the longest is to actually search every map and horde as much as you can, lol. That's what I am currently doing in my playthrough. 

I neglected to mention @Renegade30's suggestion, which is also a really good suggestion, probably because I kind of cheat in the game whenever humanly possible, even if doing so is tedious.

Like I will enter a building, sleep, or pass time (basically save the game) before doing anything I could fail at (lighting fires, repairing clothes, fishing) and I exit and reload if I do fail....lol. Which is pretty cheesy, but at least I'm honest. The only person I'm cheating is myself....

If it helps any, there are also plans for other firestarters in the game roadmap, such as a bow-drill.

http://hinterlandgames.com/the-long-dark/roadmap/

The Long Dark is about the first Early Access game to achieve so many objectives in a development roadmap that I have seen to date, and that includes Minecraft.  So I wouldn't discount the chance of a firestarter that you could craft. Not lightly, to be sure.

Archived