Stats (Very Similar to New Vegas)

Scallysnix

I'm not entirely sure how familiar the Long Dark community is with Fallout, but in New Vegas, the player can choose from an array of about 20 skills. All these skills range from 1-100 in terms of points, and each one had an individual purpose and tangible results in game. For example, leveling up your "guns" skill would result in better hitscan results (more accuracy) and an increase in damage with weapons falling under the "guns" subsect. Another example would be stat checks. An easy level lock needed a lockpicking skill of 25, and only after that skill is at 25 will it be possible to even attampt that lock. I'm not entirly sure how well it would translate into a game like The Long Dark, as it would go against the original idea of it. That being to create an experience rather than a video game. However, maybe it could be toggleable among other things. I personally adore progression systems, it is why I love New Vegas, and I could see myself experimenting for days.

On 7/20/2017 at 5:47 PM, Scallysnix said:

I'm not entirely sure how familiar the Long Dark community is with Fallout, but in New Vegas, the player can choose from an array of about 20 skills. All these skills range from 1-100 in terms of points, and each one had an individual purpose and tangible results in game. For example, leveling up your "guns" skill would result in better hitscan results (more accuracy) and an increase in damage with weapons falling under the "guns" subsect. Another example would be stat checks. An easy level lock needed a lockpicking skill of 25, and only after that skill is at 25 will it be possible to even attampt that lock. I'm not entirly sure how well it would translate into a game like The Long Dark, as it would go against the original idea of it. That being to create an experience rather than a video game. However, maybe it could be toggleable among other things. I personally adore progression systems, it is why I love New Vegas, and I could see myself experimenting for days.

I highlighted the part that I feel is the most important about thinking about adding something like this into the game, at least with the idea of lockpicking in mind. We technically already have the guns/archery skillsets in the game, but since animals don't have :hit points" like they do in New Vegas, having your weapons "deal more damage" doesn't make much sense, as there can only be so much bleedout from each attack that can be considered realistic, as it is more about a more lifelike experience instead of progressing to a point where there are no challenges, like what can happen in New Vegas once you become a high enough level.

And I say "a more lifelike" experience because it is still a video game, there can only be so much of reality one can place in a video game, and still have it be fun instead of feeling boring or like work. But in the case of lockpicking, most locks are not able to be picked with a bobby pin, no matter how skilled one may be at picking locks, and it makes more sense that the character has to pry open those doors to get what is inside instead of magically opening any lock, no matter the design, with a thin piece of flimsy metal.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I used the gun skill as an example. The game shouldn't require you shoot your prey a number of times, but rather make it a matter of where you shoot. I just really like progression in my games. It's why I love Dark Souls, it's why I LOVE New Vegas, and it's why I love The Long Dark. All these games have VERY different styles of progression, I'm suggesting we mix and match em', which in all honesty is probably a terrible idea.

8 hours ago, Scallysnix said:

The game shouldn't require you shoot your prey a number of times, but rather make it a matter of where you shoot.

The game doesn't require you to shoot prey a number of times. And it is a matter of where you shoot the animal. All the animals can be one-shot-killed. But if you don't score a critical hit and drop it on the spot, it will take anywhere from 1-9 hours, depending on the size of the animal, where it was hit, and with what weapon, for it to bleed out and die. But it will die, even if it takes a long time.

All you need is some patience (and maybe some tracking skills - though that's easier too, now that crows can find your kills), and you'll save yourself a lot of ammo.

To finish off what JAFO said - you can also utilize your charcoals from high elevation points to help you locate your kills. The animals sometimes can run off pretty far - and while it is easiest to watch for the circling crows, that is impossible if a strong wind is blowing. Mapping can help you as well. 

Ideally, you should try to go for head - that offers a pretty good chance for instakill, and if you fail that, the animals will surely bleed out pretty quickly. The heart is very difficult to hit but that is an instakill. Leg takes a long time for animal to bleed out but I believe there is a movement speed impairment which reduces the chance that the animal will run far away.

Just remember that just because you shot a predator, it might not stop charging at you. Plan accordingly.

Archived