I am available to answer questions

Thrasador

14 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Are you sure this is really the same bear when there are some that are much closer to the Farmstead?

I've shot the bear at the Farmstead, and later found his body only metres from the cave in question.. so yes, he really does range that far.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CitrinePeridot said:

Ok. Because of the settings I choose, I have not encountered bears though I will eventually do that. How does one tell them apart? Are they different in appearance. Or, is it where you find them. If so, then how would one know which it is? It's a newbie question no doubt, but I will eventually be dealing with this and would wish to know.

Other than the "Old Bear" from The Hunted challenges and the Wintermute Story (the one with the arrows sticking out of him) all other bears and wolves look identical in the game....maybe they will change this in the future....but not yet....

The only way to know which bear does what, and where he normally goes is to follow him around and watch him from far away (which some people do for fun, or out of boredom....or you just notice it over time through playing long enough).

@GELtazis one of the people who seems to study bear pathing, and has several hunting videos on YouTube....

6 hours ago, shade_grey said:

It actually started out with the ability to take full condition torches out of a fire but then they changed that to brands due to the exploit. Brands however, have another problem, they leave an item behind which cannot be picked up and disposed of. It could block access to some items if they were dropped on the same spot.

True, though brands could have been "moved" by right clicking, even as ruined items. But yea, burned out brands should have just dissapeared, that was a bad oversight. I remember the full condition torches out of fire, didnt feel like mentioning it since it was pretty horrible system. Even the current one feels cheesy to me.

9 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Wow, that's pretty impressive (for both you and the bear!), quite a long distance.

Impressive on my part? No.. I shot him at close range, and dived into the car before he got me. But it was a lousy shot, and it took him a long time to die.. that's why he almost made it back to his cave.

There are two bears in total tbat I know of who hang out close to the Farmstead. 
First one comes down from the cave by the rope, that leads up to the Signal hill/Winding river cave. This bear will come approaching from the gate of the Farmstead, and will usually hang out on a field in front of the "veranda" entrance of Farmstead, but can be found even to the left. The one Stormwolf calls this one Jimmy. Jimmy can go all the way up to the bridge on a road behind the farmstead, I have seen a bear there a couple times and I think the most likely one is Jimmy.

The second bear which comes this way is "Doc bear" as called by Stormwolf (seriously you are now in charge of giving bears call-outs) , he comes towards the farmstead over the field, in paralel to the road that leads towards the ruined shack which sometimes has a body with rifle in it. This bear will usually hang out on the field behind the car to the side of the farmstead, but again, can be found wandering around the farm.

Now, I have never seen these two bears spawn in a single game. I think they are both intended to be "guarding" the farmstead, but there is always only one bear in total for this. If anyone has a different experience feel free to say so.

16 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

To my knowledge, there are four separate bear caves in PV.

You mean an actual bear "cave", or a bear spawn? There are in total 6 bear spawns + 1 I am 90% sure on, in the Pleasant Valley. I think that is the most of all the locations so far. But you probably meant "caves" because there are indeed 4 of them.

Archived