Sweating

Corvo54

I believe there is a moderate warmth bonus if you run but I'm not sure about that.

I would also like to see sweating incorporated into the game since it's such an important consideration. Apparently there is no poll covering sweating as a feature. There is lots of discussion and support for the idea though.

As a guy who is daily commuting by bike throughout the year (plus I'm a long distance runner), I can confirm:  You are actually generating a lot of bodyheat by doing outdoorsports - even in winter. So I won't ever come to the idea of doing sports while wearing something like a down jacket plus a wolfpelt, two huge wool sweatshirts, two longjohns and a scarf. Because if I would do so, I would melt for sure :ph34r:

I thought if you sprint or jog you do get a small warmth bonus? easily lost as soon as you rest though unless somwhere warm?

Sweating on the other hand would make your clothes wetter? get that fire going to dry them out.

I ski a lot, so I know a thing or two about sports in winter - the fact that it's cold outside makes no difference - you still sweat. Sweating is a natural way for the body to cool its interior by cooling the exterior of your skin, and therefore lowering that increased body temperature you get from exercise. It is also a natural way for the body to get rid of soils which your body produces as a waste.

I do believe that in-game, if you run a lot, you will get "smell meter" up a little bit, meaning you would smell a little bit tastier to the predators for a while, which I think is a very cool feature. Not sure about the temporary increase in temperature but I wouldn't be surprised if that was a thing, as it should be.

On 24. 7. 2017 at 4:35 PM, nicko said:

Sweating on the other hand would make your clothes wetter? get that fire going to dry them out.

That would depend on the clothing, or rather, on the material of the clothing. Wool items get wet, but they still retain their warm bonus, and they dry out very easily, sometimes you don't even need to take them off for them to dry out. Cotton, on the other hand, gets wet, heavy, and actually makes the person feel colder.

Which is why as a ski instructor, I'd recommend the lowest layer of clothing to be made out of wool or synthetics which are currently modern, never out of cotton. (I also believe this is already in the game, in a way - at least the woolen goods have a description that says they still keep person warm if wet, but I have never tested it closely.)

10 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

I do believe that in-game, if you run a lot, you will get "smell meter" up a little bit, meaning you would smell a little bit tastier to the predators for a while, which I think is a very cool feature.

That would indeed be cool.. but I've seen zero mention of, or evidence for it, here on the forums. Is there anything you can point to?

10 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Not sure about the temporary increase in temperature but I wouldn't be surprised if that was a thing, as it should be.

A number of players have reported there is a small boost in warmth from running.

40 minutes ago, JAFO said:

That would indeed be cool.. but I've seen zero mention of, or evidence for it, here on the forums. Is there anything you can point to?

A number of players have reported there is a small boost in warmth from running.

Maybe I imagined that, then - it's hard to tell because I am used to running with an ample supply of baits on me all the time so my smell meter is always topped off (and I think most people do that as well), but I believe during my start on Timberwolf mountain I gained a single stripe by constantly sprinting despite having nothing in my inventory that smelled (was freshly made character, before I even killed or harvested anything that could be used for baits). I got it around the rose hip bush that's right above the rope, closest to the Mountaineer hut, I climbed the rope down and crossed the lake, the odor disappeared around the fishing hut. Maybe I imagined it, but I have pretty distinct memory of that, it's also possible it was some sort of a weird bug. 

I tend to not read the changelog so I simply accepted that as "you get sweaty and smell if you run too much, for a little while".

Now I will have to go back and test that then.

6 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

I tend to not read the changelog so I simply accepted that as "you get sweaty and smell if you run too much, for a little while".

Hinterland changelogs cannot be relied upon anyway.. in my experience, major changes to mechanisms, or even new features, are often omitted from the changelogs. I'm not sure Hinterland actually even understand the purpose of a changelog. It's not the kind of thing their past experience with AAA gaming companies prepared them for.

Archived