The Upside of Snow Storms

Starving_Deluxe

Whilst killing time in a fish hut in CH to earn the Cold Fusion Badge, I noticed a significant discrepance concerning the time needed cooking/boiling something depending on the weather conditions: compared to calm weather, a blizzard outside seems to reduce the time needed for cooking/boiling the same amount of food/water by far. Anyone else to confirm this curious phenomenon?

Not exactly: the time needed to boil water or cook is unchanged (as far as I know!), but the fire burns at a slower rate when the surrounding temperature is low, and as a result, you observe the remaining time of the fire decrease more slowly according to the cooking UI. You save fuel rather than time.

Time has been a strange phenomenon in TLD for quite some, well, time. It's a feature I first noticed in v258. Look here. Since then I have seen many threads related to that topic. When I first noticed it, a drop in temperature would shorten the burning time of the fire (illogical in my and some other peoples' view). So you could freeze to death if you went to sleep and a blizzard came to shorten your fire time. This may have been changed in the meantime to some other weird mechanism. I wish fires would just burn the time indicated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2017 at 11:31 AM, cullam said:

They have a very real upside of wolves not tending to go out in them. So if you know where you're going, and can handle getting cold, they're a great time to move meat and guts or hides. 

If you have good enough clothing to stay above freezing and/or supplies to make a fire next to you...

And you might still stumble into a wolf or bear when you've been outside when the blizzard began. That's why I usually first go rest inside a loading screen shelter for an hour and if the blizzard is still going on, then I go check out wolf infested places like Derailment. It minimizes the risk but on very rare occasions you might still encounter a fluffy ;)

Archived