Bones of Carcass

ByST7

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 2:58 AM, Karma dilemma said:

Let's hope cos crafting needs love 

It does...I like what has been implemented so far, but it feels very unfinished and like a half measure.

Need to be able to craft more things in general. Should be able to craft a clothing item for every slot, and there should be more versatility of any type of animal hide being used for any clothing slot.

Also, they really need to revisit the weights of crafted clothes after making cured items weigh less than uncured items. Currently the crafted items weigh far too much...

On 7/24/2017 at 5:01 AM, Thrasador said:

Also, they really need to revisit the weights of crafted clothes after making cured items weigh less than uncured items. Currently the crafted items weigh far too much...

Personally I think it fairly reasonable that they weigh a lot. They are the top tier items in terms of all their other stats so they are obviously crafted to be heavy duty. And considering they're bush-crafted with rough tools from poorly cured hide a bit of weight is to be expected.

And perhaps the weight should be rethought in terms of the weight of dry hides going into them, but in terms of weight to gain ratios compared to the other clothing they seem pretty fair. Perhaps it would be good to make lighter versions out of different hides, eg: lightweight rabbit coat, boots, ect

5 hours ago, Fitz said:

Personally I think it fairly reasonable that they weigh a lot. They are the top tier items in terms of all their other stats so they are obviously crafted to be heavy duty. And considering they're bush-crafted with rough tools from poorly cured hide a bit of weight is to be expected.

And perhaps the weight should be rethought in terms of the weight of dry hides going into them, but in terms of weight to gain ratios compared to the other clothing they seem pretty fair. Perhaps it would be good to make lighter versions out of different hides, eg: lightweight rabbit coat, boots, ect

That was the point I was trying to make. The first issue is curing the hides i.e. drying out the water weight, should make the hides lighter to begin with. So obviously then the finished crafted items would then come out lighter too.

As it stands now some of the items don't add up already.

The rabbit gloves weigh 1.0 kilos. They take 4 rabbit hides at .10 kilos a piece or .40 kilos total, and some guts which are .10 a piece without removing water weight already. This adds up to .60 kilos. Yet they weigh 1.0 kilos.....so yeah....where the rest come from?

Not to mention you are obviously trimming some of the excess hide off in order to shape them into mittens, so shouldn't they actually weigh slightly less than the sum of the components...yet they almost double in weight after trimming and stitching them together with gut. 

So that was the point I was trying to make. As far as the crafted stuff being the best in the game so they should weigh the most, that is also not true.

The Mukluks(sp?) weight 1.5 to deer boot's 2.0 with similar stats. The snow pants weigh 1.0 to deer pant's 2.0 and the snow pants are warmer. The expidition parka weighs 1.5 kilos to the bear skin coat's 5.0 kilos with similar stats and the wolfskin coat's 3.0 kilos with worse warmth...and so on. 

The weights should be lowered, especially after factoring in lower cured weights to craft them...

Bone crafted arrowheads would be good for makeshift bow capability until you get to the forge. Like even I they were one shot only, as in your arrow shaft will not break but the tip/point does.(I've also suggested used drinks/food cans could be utilised for improvised arrowheads)

this would be a great help on interloper's early game as I find it a really great challenge once you get to the forge, but a bit of a lucky draw with loot/ being unable to sustain yourself along the way during early game.

38 minutes ago, sierra 117 said:

Bone crafted arrowheads would be good for makeshift bow capability until you get to the forge. Like even I they were one shot only, as in your arrow shaft will not break but the tip/point does.(I've also suggested used drinks/food cans could be utilised for improvised arrowheads)

this would be a great help on interloper's early game as I find it a really great challenge once you get to the forge, but a bit of a lucky draw with loot/ being unable to sustain yourself along the way during early game.

Others have suggested such things and I agree with you/them.

I would love makeshift temporary tools out of flint/rock/bone etc. All of these mediums historically have been used by humans for tools/weapons. Forging metal is a relatively new technology as far as the history of humans go....

You could technically make one use arrows out of just sharpened sticks.

It frustrates me that used food/soda cans cannot be utilized for anything. The pop top on sodas have been fashioned into fish hooks. I've seen that Survivorman guy do it. Even the aluminum can itself would be easily cut by the hunting knife into several hooks. I don't know they would hold a 5 kilogram salmon, lol....but you could use them for something. The food cans should be scrap metal. Especially the bigger, heavier cans like Pinnacle Peaches...

Some containers magically appear out of nowhere, like water bottles, lantern oil cans, and animal quartering bags. Others disappear into the ether like soda cans and food cans even though they have created the art for them, as you sometimes see empty used food and soda cans in various houses, etc...

Archived