What type of game do you expect out of Story Mode?

CalNieDaGtarGuy

What type of game do you expect out of Story mode?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why all the trepidation about the game playing out like the challenges?  Personally speaking, that's exactly what I want.  For instance, say the next step in the story is "go into this empty town and look for someone".  The town is up the road, but it's open-ended how you get there and how you approach.  Maybe you march right there, maybe it takes a few days of waiting out storms and gathering food that you're low on, maybe you loop around and approach from the rear, maybe you see something neat down a hill and go get lost and die in a blizzard.  It acts like a string of challenges one after the other - I have long presumed that the challenges were "practice goes" for Story Mode. 

No way would they build this groundbreaking open-world survival system and then fence you in.  I'm sure they'll just give us close-range destinations dotted across the landscape, so that noobs don't get hopelessly lost.  The challenges were clearly written for folks who know the maps inside and out.

Many of you maybe don't know it (because it was most popular in germany and poland), but still the best game is "Gothic". What i expect of Wintermute? I expect an open world where diffrent decisions lead to diffrent outcomes in the short run but the basic narrative stays the same. That's very tricky to manage and i've only seen this in "Gothic" working out.

I expect a mature story. A story where there is no good and evil, where someone who you thought is the antagonist turns out to be the hero, where friends become enemies and where the game provides you with a real choice on which side you are (if any side at all).

I expect characters who behave like if they are real. No stupid steretype villain without any depth, created just to be overcome by you. Characters with their own needs, thoughts and ways to act. Just individuals.

I expect intense situations where you can't stop playing. A mix of fast and slow gameplay, ups and downs, like in a good drama - a build up to the high point of the story.

And on top, i expect all that to be balanced and composed to a flawless game that doesn't break immersion with bugs, logic failures, bad designs, gameplay that doesn't make sense or something else on these points that make you close the game.

I expect there will be some pointers in place, but it will be up to the player to finish them at any time. I expect the survival aspect will still be present. 
I know someone mentioned it will be probably something like Hunted challenges - I feel like it's possible it might be more like the Whiteout or even more so Hopeless rescue. From what I can tell, the story line is that both main characters get separated, and are trying to reunite. So I wonder if there will be some time limits for the player to achieve something.

I expect the main line will be somewhat linear, given the things I saw in the trailers - but I expect there will be either side missions or just side-locations which can be explored while making progress through main story.

On 2017-07-16 at 6:38 PM, selfless said:

I'm betting it will be very similar to the Hunted challenges.   You don't have to progress the story, but it's not that interesting not to.  Or different if you do... 

Makes me wonder what's happend to 'The Hunted' pt 3? It does say to be continued after pt 2.

I honestly see a story mode thats linear, (but to an extent). Choices will be made, or maybe even attempted and just failed (such as time sensitive quests unlike skyrim and more like hopeless rescue) . Possibly we may find ourselves failing to meet the requirements of an npc in time and have them turn on us, or fade into the long dark.

Im almost certain our actions will have some kind of consequence, but most likely not affecting the main quest, such as looting an abandoned camp only to learn that  it wasnt really abandoned and the supplies belonged to somebody needing them more than you. 

As for if we can ignore the story alltogether or not, i think maybe its a little of both, maybe we have the option to treat it like a sandbox but we may have some dire consequences in the end? This is purely speculation because an episodic story usually has set results by the end of the story and finds ways to push you forward by bottlenecking the player to "x" location etc. 

7 hours ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

@selfless I'd appreciate it if you could be a little more kind. I'm just trying to look out for newbies who could be browsing this thread.

Wait, what?!?  Now saying the word spoiler is a spoiler?  Unless you were trying to say something else I am offended by your offense.

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎26 at 2:42 AM, JAFO said:

This is an interesting point.. I'm very curious to see the reactions and experiences (and gameplay) of those who are complete newcomers to TLD.

This is also the main reason the final two map areas were never released into the sandbox during testing. @Raphael van Lierop wanted there to be some challenge and new areas to explore for wolfbait and veterans alike ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Seems my worst expectations came true, a said day. I was on holidays, so i at least missed the first major bugs and could play it.

It's not that i am mad about Hinterland or false promises or that i spend time to support them. The game is just bad in most of it's aspects. I enjoyed seeing the new maps and overhaul of the interors. Also the visuals (aurora) outdoors are unique and just impressing - but that's basicly it. I could write a huge wall of text what's wrong or bad with the game regarding story-plotholes, one dimensional stereotyped characters right out of a soap opera, boring tasks, an open world that isn't open world, a survival game where there is no survival but picking up food, a game that doesn't take your hand where it's needed but forces you to a linear walkthrough, doesn't let you make any decisions or that the game if full of bugs. But i don't think Hinterland cares.

There was this huge opportunity Hinterland had. Within the Alpha, some magic happened and the game attracted so many people because of something Hinterland didn't expect. Sadly they didn't build on that.

If some day the game is bug-free, it will be a solid casual game that you can play for a few hours and than put it aside. A game you grab at the 5 bugs table and therefore it is perfectly fine. 

2 minutes ago, MueckE said:

I could write a huge wall of text what's wrong or bad with the game regarding story-plotholes, one dimensional stereotyped characters right out of a soap opera, boring tasks, an open world that isn't open world, a survival game where there is no survival but picking up food, a game that doesn't take your hand where it's needed but forces you to a linear walkthrough, doesn't let you make any decisions or that the game if full of bugs. But i don't think Hinterland cares.

I hope you do.. even if they don't care. Because they need to hear it, regardless.

I had that feeling for some time already, i wrote about it a few times. It seemed as if Storymode is going to be a shadow of what is Sandbox, but Hinterland unable to see it and put all the energy into storymode. As if you dig for iron and push aside gold that's in your way.

I checked a few gaming sites because maybe it's just me who is too negative, but even they see it the same way. What makes TLD so great is the unique style of the sandbox, this is what brings the good ratings.

The only thing that i am a little bit disappointed about is, that the developement wasn't even "community-informed" because basicly two years of feedback and tweaking have been ignored completly.

With sandbox something very unique and amazing was created ( not intentionally) but sadly hasn't been aknowledged. Raph. said somewhere that they were surprised that sandbox itself became "a game", but till this day didn't do anything with that coincidence exept a few "experience modes".

i am not angry about it or want to rant. Actually i just feel very sorry and have much empathy with Hinterland. It just would have been good if i would be able to have some empathy with one of the characters too.

I read (some time ago) that the sandbox mode wasn't even thought to coexist with the story mode and therefore would be suppressed by the story mode.
But it seems that this "little extra mode" became the real game. After the release, I read a lot of people writing about Wintermute being just a tutorial and Survival Mode the real deal.

I have a small amount of hope for episode 3.  It's supposed to be about Astrid this time around, and according to the storyline, especially with Grey Mother, she pretty much is running the whole time, hopefully preventing fetch quests at the very least. I really liked the ending of episode two, it shows potential for the next 3 episodes. I agree that characters need to be fleshed out, there needs to be more than one per region, and I would at least like to see that the silent conversing becomes spoken. I thought that the cutscenes were on point. I especially liked the 2D and I just hope that the devs listen to our cries and change it up. 

There's still time to redeem Wintermute and I believe that the devs will do so.

Archived