What type of game do you expect out of Story Mode?

CalNieDaGtarGuy

What type of game do you expect out of Story mode?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Telltale Games are linear, yes, but Uncharted is also linear. But they are completely different. Well, I don't think TLD is going to be as linear as a Telltale Game because TLD has already an open-world map (in which they're gonna add 2 more regions with the story mode) and they have to use it in the Story Mode. So, I think it is going to be both, it has to be both. I'm not sure how they did manage, it must be hard.

On the other side, we have seen and been informed so little about the Story Mode except some weird characters in the trailer. To be able to tell what to expect from TLD Story Mode is not easy for me at the moment.

48 minutes ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

I've never played Uncharted, mostly due to it being a console game. How is it played out?

There is a path that you have to follow. At first, it may not feel like a linear game but after a certain point, you realise that you have to go to places that the game wants you to go. You find your gear and collectibles along the way and you move on. There are chapters in the game.

36 minutes ago, selfless said:

I'm betting it will be very similar to the Hunted challenges.   You don't have to progress the story, but it's not that interesting not to.  Or different if you do... 

That's what I'm afraid of

So after finishing the story scenarios does your character get to continue in the sandbox mode?

Will the current sandbox soon include the two new story areas?

I apologize if this is secret information, I don't know what has been revealed. I haven't been following the story mode development closely....

4 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

So after finishing the story scenarios does your character get to continue in the sandbox mode?

I apologize if this is secret information, I don't know what has been revealed. I haven't been following the story mode development closely....

A: Probably be stuck in a standby until episode 3.

2) Eventually, but probably not Aug 1st.

6 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Patrick (I wonder where he's been lately...) has stated that the two new regions will not be included in Sandbox Mode on August 1st, although there is a slight chance. 

Oh ok cool, thanks peeps!

So even if not right away, maybe probably at some point...

I mean why not? They took all that time to design those additional regions...why not add them to the rest....

Hopefully at some point...maybe when the entire story is finished....you can continue with one of the two main characters into the sandbox...like a normal game with a sandbox mode...

I love the telltale games, although the acxtual game mechanics of all their games seem lazy and janky to me. So I would be happy if the story telling is as good, but preferably with better interactive game mechanics. As far as I have gathered, there is something you need to do with a car battery and the radios (since there is a car battery in TLD sandbox that has no purpose and all the dead radios you can flick the switch on.)

But what I am hoping for is something a little bit more polished than TellTale, and a bigger environment to move in, where you decide literally where the story is going, it would add so much to the development side of things, but would be great to see a game achieve, not saying totally open world, but a bit more freedom, just enough to make you think this is a big wide world and since the surroundings are so harsh and desolate you wouldn't want to travel that far anyways, so I think it would work.

My guess is that gameplay-wise it will be closer to Fallout 3 than Telltales games. Remember that the sandbox was initially developed and released to figure out things for story mode, the goal was always story and sandbox was just a "sideproduct". That's why I believe that we will see some sandbox play in story mode as well. The story will let us interact with NPCs and lead us from place to place but how to get there, where to sleep, what to eat, wear, trink, kill and so on will be left for us to figure out.

@Tbone555 Sure hope so too! 

@CalNieDaGtarGuy I think, well I hope, thats not the case either. A Fallout like game wouldn't really suit an "episode" format.

@nicko I'm with you there

Anyways I'm super excited and I'm trying to keep my expectations to a rational level, I want to enjoy the experience and journey TLD Wintermute will bring.

Not long to go now, 2 weeks today! 

It´s difficult, actually impossible to predict exactly what type of game this is going to be.

I don´t think it´s going to be like a Telltale game. No way. We have way to big areas and just too much we can do in general in terms of survival.

It would be cool if we would see something completely new, but honestly, I doubt it. I love this game, but I have to agree with @selfless and @ChillPlayer. It is going to play out somewhat familiar to the challenges, just with way more interaction and a story to follow of course. Cos let´s face it, what else can they do? I hope it´s something different as well, something completely new, but that´s not what I´m expecting. Again, love this game, but I´m not expecting Hinterland to invent something the gaming community has never seen before. We will walk around from point A to point B, get a mission, can decide if we wanna do it and the story will progress accordingly. But the setting will make it immersive and unique.

I also guess it´s going to be way easier for sandbox veterans, compared to new players.
Let´s say we wake up on the top of TWM and hear someone over the radio telling us they need help and they are somewhere at a hut, that´s located behind a lake and there´s a mountain on the other side of that lake and they can see parts of the plane on top of it. It can take new players a very long time to get to that hut, especially if they are also new to all the game mecanics, while sandbox veterans are at the mountaineer´s hut in a matter of minutes because we know every spot in the game.

I´m exicted and I´m really looking forward to the release of the story mode, but I guess I´m not getting my hopes up too high. I´d rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

And after all, the sandbox will stay my place to live in, to survive in.

@CalNieDaGtarGuy: I don´t own Subnautica. Can you describe in a few words how that story mode plays out?
Kind of interested, now that you mentioned it. ;)

@Puckway I believe it will be a different experience. In any case veterans will only have the upper hand with the survival mechanics, as I believe story mode takes place in 2 new locations.

@CalNieDaGtarGuy Not sure it will be like subnautica. There isn't really any interaction with any NPC there, just info and narrative left behind in lore. From what I gather there will be characters to encounter.

but in theory, it could be a hybrid, like a lovechild of a telltale game + subnautica lore/semi-openworld?

I would love to see some NPC interaction in the sandbox too, I hope that with Wintermute we will get that too. Other than that I don't believe that it will contain much more content since it is 1.0 the devs will concentrate on making it stable, however this doesn't mean that the future updates will be with poor content too. I still have faith that at the end TLD will be so addictive and unique that will change the standards of survival games genre.

@Puckway Subnautica leaves you with an open ended map that you can explore, but also has a story... On the contrast, the story essentially plays out even if you don't want to take part. Instead of progressing after you have completed a mission, it just moves on if you do t feel like going on another mission. It's quite unique and really cool.

On 7/16/2017 at 3:38 PM, selfless said:

I'm betting it will be very similar to the Hunted challenges.   You don't have to progress the story, but it's not that interesting not to.  Or different if you do... 

I doubt that the amount of work put into Story Mode would end up in a load of Hunted-style challenges. They have been endlessly teasing Story Mode over the past few years, and all that work they went through I am certain will not produce such a disappointment. I have faith in Hinterland, and I believe they know what we want.

23 hours ago, Puckway said:

I also guess it´s going to be way easier for sandbox veterans, compared to new players.
Let´s say we wake up on the top of TWM and hear someone over the radio telling us they need help and they are somewhere at a hut, that´s located behind a lake and there´s a mountain on the other side of that lake and they can see parts of the plane on top of it. It can take new players a very long time to get to that hut, especially if they are also new to all the game mecanics, while sandbox veterans are at the mountaineer´s hut in a matter of minutes because we know every spot in the game.

This is an interesting point.. I'm very curious to see the reactions and experiences (and gameplay) of those who are complete newcomers to TLD.

Archived