Intestinal parasites on interloper is brutal

Renegade30

Now I'm not complaining, just wanted to talk about mine and your experiences because I have been having a lot of fun\tense moments trying to treat it.

It takes a whopping 20 doses in interloper, that's 40 mushrooms, which is generally more than what is found in most regions. I had to loot all the mushrooms in mystery lake, some from the first area to the left in forlorn muskeg and all of the mushrooms in the ravine (except for the ones down the rope) and some in coastal highway, before making my trip back to mystery lake where the rest of my supplies were.

Ontop of that when I went to warm up in carter dam I noticed some things I left there before, among them was a water which I promptly drank, only to realise it was not sterile! Can't imagine how sore my poor characters stomach was! :D

screen_dc234c86-a6fa-475b-8288-62359a351111.thumb.png.2b55215eb09728ab05e52bae56d7f082.png

The wolves are extremely hostile when you are sick too! I had several wolves continuously trying to get me in forlorn muskeg and nearly died a dozen times on this foraging mission. I managed to get enough doses now though, I already have taken 3, but here is the rest of the 17 doses I need over the next 17 days in the picture.

screen_ca2fb0c4-994c-4ee7-b18a-5466e13efe3a.thumb.png.2cf3f5e57d4fe9502d29d2e31334c237.png

I have been stuck here in mystery lake and have 8 doses to go now and my character is extremely fatigued, towards the end I suspect I will only have 25% of my fatigue bar left. I wanted out of this region a while ago because of all the blizzards, prey (deer, rabbits and fish) are becoming extremely scarce (day 63) and I have very little stores of food left. The only thing that got me through the first few days was the fact that I could eat bear meat with no risk of parasites, because I already have them :) 

screen_082ef39b-1c89-45d0-adcb-d4d0c0569a8d.thumb.png.9af9a1a1633ace9eb83790b73011c7b9.png

Any stories you guys want to share?

45 minutes ago, Renegade30 said:

Now I'm not complaining, just wanted to talk about mine and your experiences because I have been having a lot of fun\tense moments trying to treat it.

It takes a whopping 20 doses in interloper, that's 40 mushrooms, which is generally more than what is found in most regions. I had to loot all the mushrooms in mystery lake, some from the first area to the left in forlorn muskeg and all of the mushrooms in the ravine (except for the ones down the rope) and some in coastal highway, before making my trip back to mystery lake where the rest of my supplies were.

Ontop of that when I went to warm up in carter dam I noticed some things I left there before, among them was a water which I promptly drank, only to realise it was not sterile! Can't imagine how sore my poor characters stomach was! :D

screen_dc234c86-a6fa-475b-8288-62359a351111.thumb.png.2b55215eb09728ab05e52bae56d7f082.png

The wolves are extremely hostile when you are sick too! I had several wolves continuously trying to get me in forlorn muskeg and nearly died a dozen times on this foraging mission. I managed to get enough doses now though, I already have taken 3, but here is the rest of the 17 doses I need over the next 17 days in the picture.

screen_ca2fb0c4-994c-4ee7-b18a-5466e13efe3a.thumb.png.2cf3f5e57d4fe9502d29d2e31334c237.png

I have been stuck here in mystery lake and have 8 doses to go now and my character is extremely fatigued, towards the end I suspect I will only have 25% of my fatigue bar left. I wanted out of this region a while ago because of all the blizzards, prey (deer, rabbits and fish) are becoming extremely scarce (day 63) and I have very little stores of food left. The only thing that got me through the first few days was the fact that I could eat bear meat with no risk of parasites, because I already have them :) 

screen_082ef39b-1c89-45d0-adcb-d4d0c0569a8d.thumb.png.9af9a1a1633ace9eb83790b73011c7b9.png

Any stories you guys want to share?

I was going to mention FM for mushrooms. If you looted every mushroom in FM you would have at least 50, but total there could really be more like 100. There are A LOT of mushrooms in FM...

Sounds like you may have known that already though...

On a positive note, for the next 17 days you can eat as much bear and woIf meat as you like. I'd go kill a bear and quarter it. Bring the bags to the closest hut and harvest .5 kilos at a time while canceling in the middle to get .25 chunks. Spend a couple days just cooking and eating those trying to get cooking closer to lv5.

If you luck out the bear on the lake might be out by the lone cabin. That would be a nice little spot. Could even cook in a fishing hut....

I'm sure you are aware once you get cooking to lv 5, you no longer get sick from food you cook, which is solid...parasites included...

I do agree a 20 day affliction is a bit over the top in any difficulty. I wonder what swell guy decided that would be a fair idea. It's 10 days for Stalker, and lower than Stalker difficulty you can safely eat any critter.

I think 5 days for Stalker and 10 days for Interloper is more than an ample penalty. Actually lowering the duration would limit one's ability to continuously eat bear and wolf meat after getting it.

With the exception of using bandages for each separate injury, to stop bleeding....having to double or triple down on medications for each separate ailment is pretty excessive and silly.

If you need antibiotics for one thing, they will still act on other afflictions in your body requiring antibiotics. The same with taking painkillers. You don't get to take multiple doses of pain killers for multiple injuries inflicted at the same time. You could experience respiratory suppression if you dosed yourself with pain killers the way we do in game.

If they are non-opioid anti-inflammatory pain killers, those typically can cause ulcers and blood thinning in high doses...which is also bad....

59 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I do agree a 20 day affliction is a bit over the top in any difficulty. I wonder what swell guy decided that would be a fair idea. It's 10 days for Stalker, and lower than Stalker difficulty you can safely eat any critter.

I think 5 days for Stalker and 10 days for Interloper is more than an ample penalty. Actually lowering the duration would limit one's ability to continuously eat bear and wolf meat after getting it.

Actually I was saying I like it, it's extremely difficult and challenging. I think the challenge of finding more mushrooms than there are on the map (unless you are in forlorn muskeg like you said) is quite fun. I think the challenge outways the benefit of being able to eat predatory meat because the wolves are so freaken' aggressive now, it's like having 3 scent bars. I am actually scared to travel around too much, particularly now my condition is capped at ~75 and by the time I get anywhere the freezing temperature drops me to like ~60-70 and I become very tired. I think it is now too risky to try and hunt a bear or wolf.

I did try to see if the bear was around in the lake again when my condition cap wasn't too bad at the start (it is the one I killed originally) but it was not so unfortunately I missed the boat there.

59 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

If you need antibiotics for one thing, they will still act on other afflictions in your body requiring antibiotics. The same with taking painkillers. You don't get to take multiple doses of pain killers for multiple injuries inflicted at the same time. You could experience respiratory suppression if you dosed yourself with pain killers the way we do in game.

If they are non-opioid anti-inflammatory pain killers, those typically can cause ulcers and blood thinning in high doses...which is also bad....

Yeah I always laughed at this in game, when you have like 3 sprains and you drop like 3 doses of painkillers, I become concerned the character is developing a bit of a problem haha.

Good posts, thanks @Renegade30.  I got parasites once on Interloper, before FM was in the game.  Finding all the mushrooms was a real tour of the TWM regions!   (It was also prior to the new scent and aggression mechanics, so easier back then.)  I still risk one or two pieces of bear meat early in sandbox, since there's not much to lose at that point.  

But the real takeaway for me was: push for cooking 5 ASAP.  Now I quarter my first bear and make 0.1kg slices of bear meat as time permits and dump them outside.  I cook them up when I have fire to spare and throw them away.   But cooking an entire bear this way goes a long ways toward skilling up cooking, and then food becomes very easy.

2 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Good posts, thanks @Renegade30.  I got parasites once on Interloper, before FM was in the game.  Finding all the mushrooms was a real tour of the TWM regions!   (It was also prior to the new scent and aggression mechanics, so easier back then.)  I still risk one or two pieces of bear meat early in sandbox, since there's not much to lose at that point.  

But the real takeaway for me was: push for cooking 5 ASAP.  Now I quarter my first bear and make 0.1kg slices of bear meat as time permits and dump them outside.  I cook them up when I have fire to spare and throw them away.   But cooking an entire bear this way goes a long ways toward skilling up cooking, and then food becomes very easy.

So did I help too?!

15 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

So did I help too?!

I actually don't know FM that much, but I know it's a death trap haha. I tried to go there for the mushrooms but the wolves were far too aggressive when you are sick, I couldn't keep up the fires to keep them away. Plus I have no bedroll (still) which is why I was trying to get a bear in the first place.

Apart from that I wasn't aware that splitting your harvesting into small chunks helped with experience, I falsely assumed it was based on weight. I will use this advice for trying to get up to level 5, currently 1/4 of the way there but it's slow going.

22 minutes ago, Renegade30 said:

I actually don't know FM that much, but I know it's a death trap haha. I tried to go there for the mushrooms but the wolves were far too aggressive when you are sick, I couldn't keep up the fires to keep them away. Plus I have no bedroll (still) which is why I was trying to get a bear in the first place.

Apart from that I wasn't aware that splitting your harvesting into small chunks helped with experience, I falsely assumed it was based on weight. I will use this advice for trying to get up to level 5, currently 1/4 of the way there but it's slow going.

I literally just polished mine off two days ago...the mushrooms count too, which is silly as you are basically steeping tea....but it's cooking I guess....

The one little thing that aggravates me about teas and coffees in the game is you shouldn't have to start with potable water. To steep coffee and tea you have to bring water to a boil to do so, so you should be allowed to use non-potable water to brew tea and coffee. Thusly making a potable finished beverage.

The first bear I killed I didn't have time to chop the meat up, if I had I would have been to cooking five several days ago. Luckily my travels brought me to a second bear the next day, so I only needed to chop up a little to get it there.

However now I have waaaaay too much meat to eat. Pretty sure the first batch, the non-level 5 batch might not all get consumed in time. Too bad I can't invite you guys over to have some...

This definitely emphasizes how critical your situation is when it is only you to have to look out for yourself. If you had at least one or two other people with you, you could mostly rest and be nursed back to health with less risk to yourself.  It really brings home the feeling of isolation.

Geez it will feel good to get into Wintermute and hear other voices besides those you think you hear in the wind...

On 7/16/2017 at 2:42 PM, Thrasador said:

The same with taking painkillers. You don't get to take multiple doses of pain killers for multiple injuries inflicted at the same time. You could experience respiratory suppression if you dosed yourself with pain killers the way we do in game.

On 7/16/2017 at 3:41 PM, Renegade30 said:

Yeah I always laughed at this in game, when you have like 3 sprains and you drop like 3 doses of painkillers, I become concerned the character is developing a bit of a problem haha.

For a good chuckle, read this:

6 hours ago, JAFO said:

For a good chuckle, read this:

I had already....AND showed it to my girlfriend. To date I think it is the funniest thing I have seen @Carbon post. There may have been other funny stories before that one that I missed, but it is the funniest thing he has written since I joined....

Now that you linked it, I am going to read it again so I can have a chuckle...as I have heard that chuckles are good for you....

Archived